Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring van young driver

Options
  • 19-12-2015 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hi i am 19 and want to get a van on the road I have the provisional licence but not the full one yet, was going to wait for the full one but still need 8 more lessons and and then wait for the test . But I haven't got the time. I have never had van/car insured under my name before. Although I haven't bought van yet I am looking at a 08 Nissan Primastar.
    So I wanted to insure it under my name but that probably not going to be possible?
    So then the other option would be to have the van under my mothers/fathers name and get me insured on it that way? I have very little experience on this... so any information tips would be great. Thanks a mill in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Why do you need a van?

That's the first question an insurer will ask you.

Getting it insured in your parents name but you as the main driver is known as fronting and is in breach of an insurance policy as in the policy holder should be the main driver (not declaring this will render the policy null and void in the event of a claim)

Even if an insurer will quote a vehicle in your parents name (this is going to prove difficult as they are wise to all the tricks) they will load the vehicle based on the highest risk driver ie you so it won't be cheaper.

Best advice is get a small car, pass your test, get one year's bonus under your belt and look to get a van in 12 months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jackfinzo2

hi Business Cat thanks for the info i am just off the phone to insure my van and the lady told me exactly what you have said. unfortunately that's really not suitable for me. i need the van for work i am an apprentice carpenter.
    hope this isn't a stupid question but... why do i have to be the main driver? can i not be a second driver? and have mother/father as main driver? although neither or of them would be driving it? thanks, jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

jackfinzo2 wrote: »
    [...]
    why do i have to be the main driver? can i not be a second driver? and have mother/father as main driver? although neither or of them would be driving it? thanks, jack.
    If, and its a big IF, you were to get insurance this way and unfortunately were involved in an accident and through the checks on things found you to be the main driver then the insurance company could cancel your policy for not disclosing the correct details.
    Then most likely you and your parents would have great difficulty getting cover in the future.
    Also the insurance company would want to know for what purpose your mother or your father require a second vehicle, especially a commercial van, if they are not operating a trade or a business.

that makes sense... ok so my only real option is to insure the van under my name and have me as main driver. do ye think that's even possible for a 19yr old without full licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Possible but most likely expensive.
    Would you not go for a smaller van (smaller engine) for the moment. You really only need space for tools, just get the bigger bulky items delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 duckduck1991

Just list ur father as the main driver and you named driver stick the van into his name and Bob's ur uncle..Even if you did crash how would the insurance company ever find out your the main driver..They don't put a camera into ur van to see who drives it more you or your dad I wudnt listen to that fronting rubbish there's ways around everything the insurance companys are screwing young people by charging what they want.. screw them back..Half the country are doing it

i really do need a mid sized van to get units etc into it along with the tools. if worse comes to worse then ill have to get smaller van for first 6 months until iv full licence. i really don't want to even do that though!

duckduck1991 i like your attitude!! :D my father also is a self employed tradesman and has a van on road so how would it work for him to have 2 vans? how would he explain the need for the extra van? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Just list ur father as the main driver and you named driver stick the van into his name and Bob's ur uncle..Even if you did crash how would the insurance company ever find out your the main driver..They don't put a camera into ur van to see who drives it more you or your dad I wudnt listen to that fronting rubbish there's ways around everything the insurance companys are screwing young people by charging what they want.. screw them back..Half the country are doing it

Bad advice.

Not sure how it'd work if he has another van ..Bad advice? Lol everyone is entitled to their opinion but it's advise that'll leave the op with more money in his pocket..I just don't understand why everyone is so by the book...

• Advertisement

if he didnt have a van i would of defo done that but the fact he has a van i dont think it would work... and mom would have no need for a van either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I wudnt listen to that fronting rubbish there's ways around everything the insurance companys are screwing young people by charging what they want.. screw them back..Half the country are doing it

Sickening attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I wudnt listen to that fronting rubbish there's ways around everything the insurance companys are screwing young people by charging what they want.. screw them back..Half the country are doing it

As a young driver (who's deposit alone was more than my parent's premium for the year), this is terrible advice and even worse attitude to have. We're a high risk group, no more than someone with a driving conviction. An 18/19/20 year old out on the road alone with little experience, there's a reason the premiums are so high..... And after the first year with a proper NCB the price drops significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

i really do need a mid sized van to get units etc into it along with the tools. if worse comes to worse then ill have to get smaller van for first 6 months until iv full licence. i really don't want to even do that though!

Will you have an accompanying driver, who has their licence for 2 years, when driving?

no unfortunately not . i would be on my own. i am willing to "go by the book" as long as first of all its possible and second it doesn't cost me crazy money?!

Do I understand correctly that you intend driving unaccompanied? If so, your insurance will be null and void. Take your lessons and get your full licence and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Large fun bags

If you think you can't do without a van then I would suggest buying a cheap old one that has just passed the doe. The insurance is going to be expensive no matter what you tell them as they are gangsters. Insure my van will be the cheapest but still not cheap. Drive the old van for a year or two until the premium comes down and then maybe upgrade van. Who knows what will happen in the two years. You might change profession and won't need a van anymore. If you do then upgrade when you have a bit of money put aside

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Do I understand correctly that you intend driving unaccompanied? If so, your insurance will be null and void. Take your lessons and get your full licence and away you go.

It won't be "null and void". You'll still have at minimum third party cover as required by law. Now the insurance comp may chase the driver for costs but it cant be null and void. That's a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GardeningGirl

Hi there. AFAIK prov holders need a driver with 2 years full licence plus accompanying them anyway? Open to correction. Also trying to get insurance myself. Have two years NCB and 25, Female but most companies won't take NCB as I've been away working abroad so it's not a current/recent policy 😅 good luck to ya! : )

Mycroft H wrote: »
    It won't be "null and void". You'll still have at minimum third party cover as required by law. Now the insurance comp may chase the driver for costs but it cant be null and void. That's a myth.

Which is the same as null and void!

Also, will OP be insuring the van private or commercial? There's a huge difference in No Claims Bonus, Road Tax etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Which is the same as null and void!

Also, will OP be insuring the van private or commercial? There's a huge difference in No Claims Bonus, Road Tax etc.

It's really not; the public are still protected (ie. third party). Mis-information to say otherwise. If a learner permit holder hits me; I can claim off their insurance. It's not going to be magically void because they were on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Have a read of this High Court case.
    Its the story of a Learner Permit holder who was convicted in the District Court for driving without a licence because he breached the terms of the Learner Permit (unaccompanied and no L-plates). He was also convicted for driving without insurance on the basis insurance requires you to hold or have held a licence.

On appeal, the High Court ruled the no licence conviction stands. But it overruled the no insurance conviction for one reason only: the driver's insurance policy didn't state cover was conditional on the driver abiding by the terms of the Learner Permit. Had his policy stated such a clause (many now do) then he would have found his cover voided and the no insurance conviction would have stood.

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a3f34669680256ef3004a27de/8f0b0cd9456dfd3380257db10043d9b5?OpenDocument

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

As stated , you are not allowed to drive without a full licence holder present, It's illegal and you would be a danger to other road users, All of us thought we were great drivers at 17/18 and all of us know better now.

thanks for all the info!! so basically ill have to get full licence first and go from there....
    i would easily have all lessons done my mid January but am i right in saying that there is huge waiting list for the test? also anyone know how long it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

thanks for all the info!! so basically ill have to get full licence first and go from there....
    i would easily have all lessons done my mid January but am i right in saying that there is huge waiting list for the test? also anyone know how long it is?

You can tell them you need it for work and basically go on an emergency waiting list and might get in in a few weeks .

Regarding van/car, i have a buddy who is a chippy and he used a vw golf when he was starting out. it did all he needed .
    Drop the seats and you get a good bit of space.
    Another option is if your father has a van already, get insured on that and borrow it when you need it for big jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Once you've had the permit for 6 months you can apply for the test. Put down that you can do short notice/cancellations and then call up after a few weeks to see if any are available. I was waiting ages on my bike test so decided to call the RSA to see what the delay was. I called on a Thursday evening and had the test Monday morning, was fun trying to get a bike.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    As a young driver (who's deposit alone was more than my parent's premium for the year), this is terrible advice and even worse attitude to have. We're a high risk group, no more than someone with a driving conviction. An 18/19/20 year old out on the road alone with little experience, there's a reason the premiums are so high..... And after the first year with a proper NCB the price drops significantly.
    Awh please shut up maby if you fronted your ins under ur parents name instead of letting the ins company rape u ya'd have feck all to give out about

Skatedude wrote: »
    As stated , you are not allowed to drive without a full licence holder present, It's illegal and you would be a danger to other road users, All of us thought we were great drivers at 17/18 and all of us know better now.
    Luckily the gardi don't have this attitude if you have tax and ins ur grand learners licence or not ...stupid ppl sprouting rubbish once agen oh if u drive with no full licence driver u have no ins and ur banned..Nah I don't think so hence the reason the gards don't even inforce this rule because it's ridiculous they kno it is so does anyone wit sense it's a revenue gathering scheme that doesn't work and isn't in forced...once again everyone living by the book...bullied into it by our government ...Shame on ye to put up with this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Awh please shut up maby if you fronted your ins under ur parents name instead of letting the ins company rape u ya'd have feck all to give out about

1 day ban for ignoring previous mod instruction.
    Also, cut out the text speak and be more civil to other posters when you return

• Advertisement
Advertisement