Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Monday morning...Just broke rear light!

Options
  • 18-12-2015 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. Car booked in for test early Monday morning & just tipped the rear drivers side off a concrete post which has broken the rear light. Unfortunate timing or what!!?? Bulb is still intact but its cracked into a few pieces about 2" square. Not sure that even with my most meticulous gluing if I'd be able to repair it without any white light coming through. I know gluing it might be a fail anyway but just wondering if theres anything I could do? Is it worth my while taking a trip to Halfords for some red tape & patch it up?

Its €22 to reschedule within 5 days of test so do I patch it & take my chances or cancel & get a replacement. Car being traded in shortly for scrappage so would prefer not to spend money on it but it needs an NCT for the trade in so I accept this is probably inevitable! If they fail it on the cracked glass/white light showing, is it a visual retest?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
    TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

What car is it?

Kilcock Car Dismantlers are open tomorrow until 15:00.

You could go there and take out a rear light yourself and put it in before Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Tape it with red tape so no jagged edges or white light comes through. If it passes, you can replace when you have the chance, if they do fail it should only be a visual.

If you cancel your at the loss of your money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

A lot of dismantles are open in the morning: if it's a standard enough car you should be able to pick one up in the morning and for it. You'll probably have to buy the whole taillight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Partfinder.ie and find the nearest similar model in a breakers. I got a rear light from Diamond in Ashbourne for my old car. Huge difference in price vs a new one and all it needed was a quick clean. I fit it myself as it was quite easy.

Give the breakers yard a call before you go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I would take the test anyway. That's only w visual on the retest so shouldnt cost you to get it tested again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

TallGlass wrote: »
    I would take the test anyway. That's only w visual on the retest so shouldnt cost you to get it tested again.

I'd go with that suggestion, free retest on a visual so assuming it passes everything else you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Thanks lads..the make & model would have been handy! Its a 2000 Honda Accord & being a novice but at a good guess, its the whole casing that'll need to be replaced. In Cork so had a look & one dismantlers might have the part so I'll chance them in the morning! I'll try a bit of glue & red tape & hope for the best.

The NCT sickens me at the best of times but when its being scrapped & 450 quid already spent on it for this years money making racket I'd love to avoid spending any more if I could get away with it!

Thanks a million for the responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Think halford etc sell coloured repair patches for just these situations, they are square self adhesive red patches, Not sure if it would pass the nct but it might if they dont look to closely
    but at least it will be a temporary fix and should keep out the rain till you can get a new lens

Thanks Skatedude. Picked up that red tape & some glue. Have the jigsaw of plastic pieces sorted so just need to tackle it tomorrow & hope that I can patch it sufficiently! Hopefully yhe testers will be in festive spirits but sure if it fails, it fails! Thanks for all the help & suggestions lads. Much appreciated!

Well it passed on the light but failed on another minor visual so delighted with that as its only a mickey mouse job! €8 in materials & a bit of tedium yesterday afternoon but worth it when its only being scrapped anyway! Thanks for the advice lads & Happy Christmas! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement