Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help finding this Cork family in Civil Reg. indexes

Options
  • 22-12-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

This family has been nice to research because their [milling] business is listed in various directories & almanacs, as it passes through the family for several decades.

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Rosscarbery/Rouryglen/1162571/
    http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Derry/Rouryglen/380726/

There is a family of the same name & townland in griffiths, and a relevant entry from 1909 in the calendar of wills.

What's puzzling me is that I can't find any sign of their births, deaths or marriages on the civil registration indexes thru familysearch.org

Usually when this happens to me it's because I'm missing some clever trick. I would love some help to find more info about them [or someone to confirm that they are missing from civil registration indexes].

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I presume you've searched under their full names as well as under the diminutives shown on the 1901?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

likely match for Henry/Harry's birth on the BMD Index :

Name Henry Anderson
    Event Type Birth
    Registration Quarter and Year Oct - Dec 1895
    Registration District Clonakilty
    Volume 5 / Page 58

see : here

possible match for the marriage of the parents in the district two to the west of Clonakilty ?

Name: Michael Anderson
    Registration Quarter and Year : Jan-Mar 1887
    Registration district: Skull
    Volume: 5 / Page : 467

The date fits the date of the 2nd (?) eldest daughter Martha, reg. in Clonakilty in 1890, and the only potential cross-match showing up for this marriage is a Martha Sweetnam

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

I had spent ages searching for every anderson with location CORK for the years in question - but I didn't think of checking CLONAKILTY.

I think I see a few other members of the family at the page linked by ShaneW

Thanks for the clever trick - this sets me back on track very nicely.

good possible match for the death of Michael ..

Name : Michael Anderson
    Event Type : Death
    Registration Quarter and Year : Apr - Jun 1909
    Registration District Clonakilty
    Age 54 (est. year of birth 1855)
    Volume Number 5 Page Number 42

when you have the census returns, a good place to establish the district (or Poor Law Union) is top of the building returns, or the additional details of the form A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

The RC baptism/marriage registers for Clonakilty are available on Irishgenealogy - but not much use for this case as the members of the family were CoI.

Advertisement