Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ex's mother signed the car over to me, now she want it back!?

Options
  • 03-02-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm separating with my boyfriend and the issue is the car his mom signed over to me in my name because she's not using it. I have had it for 6 months which means that I have put it through Nct and passed (which she said wasn't nessecary), paid over 500 euros to take care of the entire underbody that was covered by rust and rust holes, rusty door sills, electrical issues and rust around the fuel cap. I also taxed it and ensured it do I've put a lot of money on this car.
    so my question is, can she take it back when the ownership is in my name?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

not unless you give it back to her. Was it fully changed of ownership to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sounds like it's not worth a lot. Might be cleaner to just give it back. On the other hand, you would be justified in asking for the money you put into it back I think. She can't TAKE it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 EmilieStiletto

not unless you give it back to her. Was it fully changed of ownership to you?

Yes I have the certificate with all the info that says I'm the owner.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is she paying any loan on the car still?
    If not and she's signed it over to you then I don't see how she can claim it back.

To be 100% sure you could get a solicitors view on the matter and show them any documents etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Give her the receipts for what you've put into the car (that isn't day to day stuff). If she is willing to pay for those, just give it back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You've no obligation to give it back, it's yours.

What's morally correct is a whole different kettle of fish.

corktina wrote: »
    sounds like it's not worth a lot. Might be cleaner to just give it back. On the other hand, you would be justified in asking for the money you put into it back I think. She can't TAKE it back.

If I decide to give it back she owes me around 800-1000 e. Just saved it from being canned cuz the first Nct test it was doomed and I made sure it goes for maybe 3 years more. Just feels like I give her a fully working car with no issues at all when she gave me a damaged one. Just don't seem fair. If you see it from my point of view.

If I decide to give it back she owes me around 800-1000 e. Just saved it from being canned cuz the first Nct test it was doomed and I made sure it goes for maybe 3 years more. Just feels like I give her a fully working car with no issues at all when she gave me a damaged one. Just don't seem fair. If you see it from my point of view.

well if that's the case ignore her. If its legally transferred to your name, and you don't need the Christmas card from her, forget about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

She pays you for the work that went into the car, you pay her for rental of the car.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Is she paying any loan on the car still?
    If not and she's signed it over to you then I don't see how she can claim it back.

To be 100% sure you could get a solicitors view on the matter and show them any documents etc

She bought the car from a dealer and paid it all at once. Thank you for the advice.

• Advertisement

She bought the car from a dealer and paid it all at once. Thank you for the advice.

hmm getting curious now...what type of car and how old?

I mean i still say that you ignore it...but if its an expensive car maybe a few bob would keep you on the Christmas card list if you so wanted..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

You own the car.

She can do nothing about it

/ Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

She owes you a proportion of the money you spent - you did get use out of the car too. One other question - did she give you the car or allow you to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You own the car, she transferred ownership to you.

If you spent money on the car to make it road worthy, then she can hardly ask for the car back and expect you to just give it to her.

If you want to remain on good terms with her, sell it back to her for the price of the repairs you did and the remaining road tax. Otherwise, she hasn't got a legal leg to stand on.

hmm getting curious now...what type of car and how old?

I mean i still say that you ignore it...but if its an expensive car maybe a few bob would keep you on the Christmas card list if you so wanted..

It's Ford ka 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

There is no moral question here, the ex's mother is not "entitled" to get the car back.
    Asking for it seems a bit petty in my opinion, no offense meant here, but it doesnt exactly sound like its woth a fortune. Just based on your comment on the rust etc. The only thing to worry about is if there was a loan outstanding on the car then any outstanding finance could potentially pass to you.
    You should be able to check on motorcheck.ie or a similar web site.

Anan1 wrote: »
    She owes you a proportion of the money you spent - you did get use out of the car too. One other question - did she give you the car or allow you to use it?

She did give it to me and I have the certificate of ownership of the car.

1999 ford ka....worth very little (no offence) tell her your sorry she feels that way but the car is yours and that's the end of it. Move on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It's Ford ka 1999.

OK so it's worth less than a grand. Let her sue you, how could you lose out?.

Not worth arguing about, you have it, you aren't giving it back unless she pays for some of the money you spent on it.

I take it that the real issues here are not really anything to do with the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'm separating with my boyfriend and the issue is the car his mom signed over to me in my name because she's not using it. I have had it for 6 months which means that I have put it through Nct and passed (which she said wasn't nessecary), paid over 500 euros to take care of the entire underbody that was covered by rust and rust holes, rusty door sills, electrical issues and rust around the fuel cap. I also taxed it and ensured it do I've put a lot of money on this car.
    so my question is, can she take it back when the ownership is in my name?

Thanks

You took something (perhaps dangerous ? door sills are sometimes a structural part ? ) destined for the scrapheap off her hands and restored it.

Goes on every day all around the world - whole section of boards about doing the same :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=514

1999 ford ka....worth very little (no offence) .........

Sentimental value though ?

eg people restore things like these :

http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658030,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

offer her a deal , whoever keeps the car pays the other €500

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If it were to go to court then it would be your word against hers as to the arrangement, and you have the registration documents to show that she signed the car over to you. Basically, she hasnt a hope in hell of legally getting the car back from you (in my opinion).

Whether or not you want the hassle of fighting over a Ka worth less than a grand is up to you, however I fully agree that if she wants the car back then she owes you for the repairs and money spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

She did give it to me and I have the certificate of ownership of the car.
    Just to be clear, they're separate things. It would have been necessary for the car to be registered in your name for you to insure it, but this wouldn't necessarily make it yours. Did she tell you that you could keep the car, that it belonged to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Tell her to fock off.

Or give it back

Basically you can do what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'd ask for the money you spent on the car back.

I'd rather have €500 than a 15 year old Ford Ka.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Tell her thats fine but you will be charging her €20 storage per day + repair costs

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Have you got a list of items you gave her over the years? Christmas presents, stuff like that which you'd like back in good working order.

The woman has been watching too much Judge Judy. Car is signed over to you. You don't get to reverse transactions, even zero invoice ones, because you no longer like the person you did a deal with.

She's trying to score points for her poor wounded ickle boy who couldn't possibly have had anything to do with the break-up. My own ould wan is the same, there's a string on everything. Goes on at my in laws about what awful beyotches my exes were. Doesn't even occur to her what a cock I was to them.

You have two choices here, in my opinion. Keep the car, or give it back free. The middle ground is actually murkier than keeping it, in that you let her say "The cheek of her asking for money for my car".

One way or the other, you're well shot of this potential MIL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

She got her son back and now she wants the car as well? It's your car, pure and simple. What you decide to do about it is a matter of morals, ethics etc. but legally, it's your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

MrDerp wrote: »
    Have you got a list of items you gave her over the years? Christmas presents, stuff like that which you'd like back in good working order.

The woman has been watching too much Judge Judy. Car is signed over to you. You don't get to reverse transactions, even zero invoice ones, because you no longer like the person you did a deal with.

She's trying to score points for her poor wounded ickle boy who couldn't possibly have had anything to do with the break-up. My own ould wan is the same, there's a string on everything. Goes on at my in laws about what awful beyotches my exes were. Doesn't even occur to her what a cock I was to them.

You have two choices here, in my opinion. Keep the car, or give it back free. The middle ground is actually murkier than keeping it, in that you let her say "The cheek of her asking for money for my car".

One way or the other, you're well shot of this potential MIL :)

Sounds like a job for Top Gear with a piano dangling from a crane just outside her door ...don't forget the video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

the car his mom signed over to me
    The trans-Atlantic shipping costs are going to be rough.

Advertisement