Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Never received summons - banned from driving?

• 07-12-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

This site has answered my questions for years but this is my first time posting.

This is a strange one!

My brother was pulled over around 6 months ago in a car he had only recently bought at the time, the two gardaí that pulled him over didn't give him a reason as to why he was being pulled over but he's 21 in a boy-racerish car so they initiated the typical routine of "are you on drugs?, do you have any drugs on you?" and all that nonsense. He was not on drugs nor he have any on him. They wrote him up for having "illegal" number plates (he had bought the car the way it was he didn't buy the plates himself) and they also asked him for his licence, he did not have it on him at the time and they told him to produce it at a nearby garda station and they let him drive away. He did produce the licence at the garda station within a week.

Anyway, he was expecting a fine for the number plates in the post but it never came. Then out of nowhere last week he read in the paper about a court case being heard in his name the day before stating that he received 2 years off the road for no insurance and no licence?? He knows it has to be in relation to this incident because he has not been pulled over since then and hadn't been for a good while before either. Of course he and I both were shocked because
    1. He did not receive a court summons or fine of any kind.
    2. He had insurance when the guards stopped him and never has driven uninsured.
    3 He has had a full irish driving licence for 4 years.

There is just so much I don't understand about this, no fine? no summons? and another thing which I found odd is that if the gardaí really suspected him of not having a driving licence or insurance why would they let him drive away, the whole thing is just highly unusual more than anything else. Any comments, advice are all much appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

rd95 wrote: »
    This site has answered my questions for years but this is my first time posting.

This is a strange one!

My brother was pulled over around 6 months ago in a car he had only recently bought at the time, the two gardaí that pulled him over didn't give him a reason as to why he was being pulled over but he's 21 in a boy-racerish car so they initiated the typical routine of "are you on drugs?, do you have any drugs on you?" and all that nonsense. He was not on drugs nor he have any on him. They wrote him up for having "illegal" number plates (he had bought the car the way it was he didn't buy the plates himself) and they also asked him for his licence, he did not have it on him at the time and they told him to produce it at a nearby garda station and they let him drive away. He did produce the licence at the garda station within a week.

Anyway, he was expecting a fine for the number plates in the post but it never came. Then out of nowhere last week he read in the paper about a court case being heard in his name the day before stating that he received 2 years off the road for no insurance and no licence?? He knows it has to be in relation to this incident because he has not been pulled over since then and hadn't been for a good while before either. Of course he and I both were shocked because
    1. He did not receive a court summons or fine of any kind.
    2. He had insurance when the guards stopped him and never has driven uninsured.
    3 He has had a full irish driving licence for 4 years.

There is just so much I don't understand about this, no fine? no summons? and another thing which I found odd is that if the gardaí really suspected him of not having a driving licence or insurance why would they let him drive away, the whole thing is just highly unusual more than anything else. Any comments, advice are all much appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read :)

Sounds like a mistake, contact the Garda station, the Summon should have been hand delivered.

Someone has the same name as your brother maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rd95

Sounds like a mistake, contact the Garda station, the Summon should have been hand delivered.

Yeah I heard before that it a court summons had to be hand delivered, he's going into the garda station today I believe, I just hope this won't be as much hassle as to fix as I think it's going to be!

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Go to court clerk lodge a appeal, this could have a bond payable. Then contact the garda involved explain what happened. You'll get another date in court to explain...hopefully Judge will be fair.

Someone has the same name as your brother maybe?

Nope it had my brothers address in the paper aswell, plus he doesn't have a common name, don't know anyone else in our area with the same surname.

• Advertisement

Go to court clerk lodge a appeal, this could have a bond payable. Then contact the garda involved explain what happened. You'll get another date in court to explain...hopefully Judge will be fair.

Okay thanks I'll tell him to do that. I know I'm obviously going to be biased because it's my brother but I really believe the gardaí are at fault because he didn't receive a summons and they are meant to be hand delivered by a garda, hopefully the judge will take this into account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

solicitor job I reckon

solicitor job I reckon

I think you're right! annoying paying a solicitor for something that wasn't your fault but sure these things happen unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

First thing to do is get a solicitor to lodge an appeal immediately. You have 14 days from the court date to do so, so make sure it's done within that time as it'll save a lot of hassle later.

Once that's done get your brother to bring everything (driving licence and insurance) to the Garda station and ask to speak to the Garda. His name will probably be in the paper as the one who prosecuted your brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Reading through this I was wondering should you not be told in some way shape or form about being banned as well since if he hadn't seen it in the paper he could have been pulled over and thinking everything is fine then told actually he is banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Maybe go and talk to the court clerk, as well as to his solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

This sounds absurd . how can that even happen . I'd defo be going to get legal advice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Ant695 wrote: »
    Reading through this I was wondering should you not be told in some way shape or form about being banned as well since if he hadn't seen it in the paper he could have been pulled over and thinking everything is fine then told actually he is banned?

it actually makes me wonder if the address they have for him is out of date and all the correspondence and the summons went elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Similar happened me twice. Both times I produced licence & insurance within 10 days. The first time, I heard the Gardai had been in the area looking for my house but couldn't find it. Eventually got summons in post. Went to court with documents and all was thrown out.

Last week same story again, summons landed in post even though I had produced again for the time in question. Court was 200 miles away so rang the Garda and he was highly confused, said that the summons must have been automatically generated because the Gard I produced too didn't put it in right on the system. Sent him down documents and all thrown out again.

A waste of my time due to negligence both times it seems :mad:

Interestingly, on the first court date, the judge adjourned all cases where the defendant wasn't present and the Garda had not hand delivered the summons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Any update?

Advertisement