Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reputable used car dealers

Options
  • 19-12-2015 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a small second car, but after a bit of a disappointing experience with a car dealer in the Naas road area, I was wondering if there are any reputable used car dealers around Dublin / Navan with offering used cars at fair prices ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If your at the extreme cheap end of the scale of say €1500 or less your better off going private.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

If your at the extreme cheap end of the scale of say €1500 or less your better off going private.

Thanks, but thats not really what I meant with fair prices. I am looking at spending 2000-2500 euro.

Just wondering if there are any trustworthy dealers with good customer service and fair prices. Maybe asking for utopia, but you never know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I am not one for generalising, but, even with your budget you will still struggle to find what you're looking for. And when you do I shouldn't imagine you will get anything more than three months engine / gearbox warranty.

What kind of car are you looking for? Do you have a specific make and model in mind? You should look at Donedeal for privately owned cars too, because chances are you could find exactly what you are looking for just without a very basic warranty and if you have a trusted mechanic they will probably go and inspect a car with you for a small fee.

Just giving my own 2c on the situation, with experience from searching for cars for family members and friends.

No idea, just a good small car, around 2004 2005, not too high mileage, with reputable 1 litre engine

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most of the larger dealers will not stock anything below 4-5k anything else they take in they will sell off to the auctions or will have smaller dealers who will take them. For 2-2.5k go private and buy from somone who has owned the car they are selling for a year plus and has an NCT for a good 6 months or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Buy privately. Chances of having a nice sales experience and a warranty that actually covers anything are very small at that money.

Spend the dealers markup on a mechanic and a better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The only car I could recommend myself would be a Yaris but you can spend €2k on a 01 or 02 one thesedays

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

If you're interested in a 2002 1.25 fiesta well within budget, I have a one with NCT February 2017 and tax til March 2016. Did the timing belt and just put a new clutch kit into it. 70k on it. No rust or any of that rubbish.

I've been there before with 2k-ish cars, too cheap for big dealers but still big money to be made for small lads passing on bangers. Best of luck with the search.

Ok, thanks for the advice, found a good few nice little cars on Done Deal, private sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Try this guy up near Dunboyne/Blanch, usually has a few cheap motors in, all NCT'd and valeted, very very reputable, myself and friends of mine have bought cars off him with no issues...

Paul Whelan Motors. Harlockstown,Summerhill Road,, Dunboyne, Meath. 01 8105502, 086 4531758.

• Advertisement
Advertisement