Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private tax on a van

Options
  • 18-02-2014 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hello, I just bought a van and I'm wondering how I should go about taxing it.

As far as I'm aware a VAT number is required for commercial tax, I don't have one as I am currently an apprentice, so I assume ill have to tax it privately.

How would this affect testing the van, would I require a DOE test or NCT??

What is the correct way of taxing a van in my situation ??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

The correct way is to tax it privately it is then taxed based on cc engine size regardless of the age of the van. You will then have to cvrt test it every year. The cvrt is the replacement test for doe happens in the same test centres and is similar to the doe just that it's more expensive and stricter/ harder to pass. A van is never NCTed in any case no matter how it is taxed. Privately taxed vans could be NCTed a few years ago for a short period of time. This is no longer the case. Every commercial vehicle must be cvrt tested every year no matter how it is taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Yay thanks I was thinking one thing typing another. Privately would be the way it should be taxed passed on your circumstances op. What van is it engine size?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Bpmull wrote: »
    Yay thanks I was thinking one thing typing another. Privately would be the way it should be taxed passed on your circumstances op. What van is it engine size?

Peugot Bipper

It's a 1.4 turbo

Thanks everyone

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Peugot Bipper

It's a 1.4 turbo

Thanks everyone

It won't cost you that much more to tax it privately then anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Bpmull wrote: »
    It won't cost you that much more to tax it privately then anyway.

I don't mind that, just want to make sure I'm on the right side of the law, guards around my way are cracking down on motor tax in a big way lately, so I'm done with chancing it.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Advertisement