Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike test

Options
  • 21-02-2003 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Woohooooooooo I passed today, first attempt. :D

That is all.

(This better make some impact on my insurance premium in May! ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭YoungNastyMan

hey well done man

I have my test on Monday :(
    btw what sort of Q did they ask you and what did they ask you to do

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

He just asked me a few questions about various road signs, what conditions would you drive with dipped headlights in, questions about right of way and so on. Then he had me drive a few laps of a circuit around the test centre in heavy traffic, including traffic lights and a roundabout. This was followed by driving at a walking pace for about 100 metres and a U-turn without putting me feet down.

I found the oral test much harder than the actual driving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

It's about time I applied for this seeing as I'm on 2nd prov now.
    What do I need to know regarding preparation for the test. What are they testing on in traffic ? mirrors, indicating etc ?
    Does the tester follow on a bike ?

Cheers for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Stephen: Congrats!

Canaboid: I would recommend doing some lessons (I did 2 x 2 hour) with the guys in Irish Rider Training (see: here ), and passed with a clean sheet..

Typically, in traffic, they are looking for (among other things):
    1) Observation
    2) Progress
    3) Positioning
    4) Speed
    5) How you deal with hazards
    6) Slow-speed driving
    7) U-Turn
    8) Left turns
    9) Right turns
    10) Use of life-savers
    11) Bike Road-worthiness
    12) etc..

Whole thing only takes about 12 minutes though (on the road)...
    So, if you can demonstrate competent bike handling, and good observation, you're away in a hack...

Canaboid: The tester followed in a car. He expected to see me looking behind me when turning etc, he said mirrors aren't enough on a bike, given the fact that bikers seem to be invisible to so many car drivers.
    I passed, but not with a clean sheet... apparently I need to work on my roundabout technique :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

congrats Stephen, feels good to be a fully licensed driver doesnt it? :D

As for insurance, I think mine came down around €250 when I got my full license.

Well done again :)

Yeah, I got a quote from hibernian with the full licence - roughly €240 cheaper than the same cover with a provisional.

Advertisement