Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dashcam issue

Options
  • 03-02-2018 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Hi
    (mods feel free to move to the main dashcam thread)

I’m going to fit a dashcam (front and rear) to a BMW 420. I had planned on fitting a hardwired system , when I spoke to a local autoelectrician he flagged a few issues with me that made me do a little more digging. He has fitted a couple of dashcam systems to BMW’s in the past and he has had to install a battery unit like a “Cellink battery b” or “Thinkware ivolt”

I contacted the manufacturer of the dashcam and they sent me some information on installing the system for BMW's and they recommended installing a backup battery for the dashcam that is in turn hardwired to the car battery.
    I contacted the local BMW main dealer and they agree I could run into a warranty issue with retro fitting a hardwired device, if there was an issue with battery losing charge or anything of that description the warranty could be void in relation to that fault.

BMW do offer a dashcam,(BMW advanced car eye)It is a front and rear camera system and has a monitoring period of 5.5hrs when the car is parked.

http://www.kearysbmw.ie/web/kearys-bmw-advanced-car-eye/

It’s an ok system but its not as advanced as the thinkware option. This is a 6 month old car that I imported from the UK and is covered here under the BMW warranty but I’m a bit nervous to fit anything other than is being recommended in case it goes tats up down the road.
    Has anyone here any experience of this dashcam and advice on how to proceed.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Most BMW dealers will fit those cameras, it’s €499 or something though. A bit steep. The day they come as an option list to be ticked can’t come soon enough IMO.

There’s a lot of YouTube vids of fellas hard wiring them into BMW’s for guidance. Not sure I’d be pulling a 6 month old car apart though to fit the cables. I just plug mine in under the arm rest USB with cables tucked away. Filming whilst parked isn’t something I really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Have you thought about connecting the backup battery to your cigar socket via a plug? This would avoid any warranty issues.
    You could easily conceal the battery and the cabling. If required you could fit an expansion box to give you additional 12v sockets, usbs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I have a 2014 5 series and I have wired mine via the switched 12V supply for a blackvue DR650 - 2 channel system (i.e. front and rear cameras). I have hard wired off an aux 12V power point hidden in the dash end from the 12 power circuit in the cars fuse box. It stays active 10mins after turning the car off (as the convenience module in the car powers down automatically after the car is turned off). 

You have to use those battery packs if you want parking mode enabled as the BMWs ECU notice the additional load on the constant 12V circuits.

Pics of the install are in the following thread:

Dash cam install

The BMW system isnt that great to be honest from what I read online it is a BMW branded generic Korean brand. 

Coincidentally I have an open complaint with a BMW main dealer here in the UK at present regarding the dashcam. For what ever reason they pulled the power supply to the camera system when it was in for a service recently (as part of the BMW service plan). The main dealer didnt inform me and they left it disconnected when I picked up the car. I noticed the camera system wasn't working after I drove home not ideal when I have gone to the effort of paying around 400euro for one for the high end systems for the main dealer to disconnect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Use a usb one and dont hard wire it, daisy chain the usb to the largest USB battery pack you can buy. If you dont want it to run when parked just run off the USB (or a USB hub if you need more than one port). I dont see the need to hard wire it, its no neater, and your only limiting yourself to upgrades and messing with an expensive car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I always wire mine to ignition going to the rear view mirror. Two wire taps above the dome light panel and you're done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I always wire mine to ignition going to the rear view mirror. Two wire taps above the dome light panel and you're done.

hi could you explain what you mean here, I'm looking to hard wire my cam. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

In my last BMW (E38) and now current BMW (E65), if you pop down the dome light panel, you will see a wire harness running to the rear view mirror, assuming you have an auto dim rear view mirror like most BMWs have.

Locate the 12v ignition wire in this harness by Googling your car model or by using a Halfords wire tap and touching a multimeter to it to determine if its a 12V on ignition source.

If it is, tap the dashcam wire into it. You may need to crack open the cigarette lighter adapter included with the dashcam if it operates off 5V, as the cigarette lighter adapter often includes a 12V to 5V step-down converter, and include it whilst wiring to the wire tap. Someone with a basic knowledge of electrics will be able to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭moby2101

Thanks to everyone who replied with advice.
    So an update, in the end I went for the BMW dashcam, it's not the most advanced but I was really conscious about the warranty as the car is an import... main dealer did a nice install and hard wired it to the battery.
    Happy with overall and there's a new version due in the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Sorry to dig up an old thread, im in the same situation as yourself. Ive just imported a year old bmw and looking for a dashcam and worried about warranty, how are you getting on with yours. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi,

Very happy with it. Glad I went the main dealer install route.
    It’s actually a much better camera than I thought initially, I have it over a year now .
    My wife has the newest version of it installed in her G30 , it’s exactly the same but the front camera is smaller and neater.
    If you need any info, ask away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hi,

Very happy with it. Glad I went the main dealer install route.
    It’s actually a much better camera than I thought initially, I have it over a year now .
    My wife has the newest version of it installed in her G30 , it’s exactly the same but the front camera is smaller and neater.
    If you need any info, ask away.

That's good to hear, can i ask you how much you paid for the new version. I cant find any pricing for it and where you got it installed? PM the details if you want. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please continue by PM or ask in this mega thread that may already have the info you need.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81902582

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement