Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frayed safety belt on MK5 GTI

• 21-03-2019 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi

My MK5 GTI driver safety belt is frayed/torn/fairly haggerred. NCT in May and imagine would be a fail (?) But regardless would like to replace as probably dangerous!

Is it possible to DIY? Source on internet or best to go to Indy mechanic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Hi

My MK5 GTI driver safety belt is frayed/torn/fairly haggerred. NCT in May and imagine would be a fail (?) But regardless would like to replace as probably dangerous!

Is it possible to DIY? Source on internet or best to go to Indy mechanic?

Yeah best to replace. Not sure how much they are online, a good parts breaker might be able to source one second hand thats in decent condition.

Fitting it is handy enough, if you have an airbag in the side panel disconnect the battery.

Remove the trim and then remove both upper (8) and lower (1) bolts holding the belt mechanism and anchor in. There is also a piece in the middle holding the belt in (7), remove that also.

There is also be a connector block you need to disconnect for the belt tensioner (5).

476017.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Yeah best to replace. Not sure how much they are online, a good parts breaker might be able to source one second hand thats in decent condition.

Fitting it is handy enough, if you have an airbag in the side panel disconnect the battery.

Remove the trim and then remove both upper (8) and lower (1) bolts holding the belt mechanism and anchor in. There is also a piece in the middle holding the belt in (7), remove that also.

There is also be a connector block you need to disconnect for the belt tensioner (5).

476017.PNG

Thanks a mill, really appreciate that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Until there is no any cut, the shaggy safety belt are the safe. Easy option are to use the safety belt cover.

So funny as it sounds, but the safety belts needs too the maintenance. The safety belt itself!!! Simple solution clean and lube. Yes, lube!!!! If you do not care about your cloths use WD40 :P Otherwise some kind dry one. After every 5 years are good enough

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

w211 wrote: »
    Until there is no any cut, the shaggy safety belt are the safe. Easy option are to use the safety belt cover.

OP said the seatbelt was "frayed/torn/fairly haggerred" though.

Covering up damage like that is not a good idea.

OP said the seatbelt was "frayed/torn/fairly haggerred" though.

Covering up damage like that is not a good idea.
    If it does not look nice, it does not mean immediately it is not the safe. Until it is not cut or damaged, it is just the cosmetic problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it does not look nice, it does not mean immediately it is not the safe. Until it is not cut or damaged, it is just the cosmetic problem.

Frayed and torn are both terms for damage and are both beyond cosmetic.

For such a safety critical part that could potentially save your life in the future any sign of wear or damage and id replace it. Not worth the risk.

For such a safety critical part that could potentially save your life in the future any sign of wear or damage and id replace it. Not worth the risk.
    OP did not said anything about damage, only it did not looks nice. By that shaggy belt you can easily lift that car up and it does not snap. Only if there are any mark of cuttings, then is time to replace it. If OP shows to us pictures, we get the better picture about the problem.

Seriously I do not understand the Irish car owners. If we talk about the preventive maintenance they bursting the fire, but shaggy safety belt they are ready to replace immediately. Then why you do not maintain your safety belt??? Do not start the safety first BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Not everybody wants the cheap way out, some of us appreciate our cars being 100%

Not everybody wants the cheap way out, some of us appreciate our cars being 100%
    Do you even know how the safety belts are made?

• Advertisement

The OP said the belt was torn, that to me is enough to warrant a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Yes, I do, and a frayed belt is enough to fail an NCT and that's good enough to want to change it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Seriously I do not understand the Irish car owners. If we talk about the preventive maintenance they bursting the fire, but shaggy safety belt they are ready to replace immediately. Then why you do not maintain your safety belt??? Do not start the safety first BS.

This is a motoring forum so most people posting here are into cars and preform the required maintenance. So if the belt is suspect its gets replaced.

If the OP was like the average Irish motorist they wouldn't have bothered posting as they wouldn't see any issues with a potentially damaged piece of safety equipment.

ok you all are double face morans. I leave...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks.

@OP, just be careful there's no sensor on any of the belt. It may throw up some errors in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Naturally its hard to be 100% accurate without a picture but based on the OPs description this does sound like a damaged safety item which needs to be replaced.

A seat belt can be replaced cheaply, somebody's life can not be replaced at all if involved in an accident and the seat belt fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

w211 has closed their account, let's leave it at that and focus on OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭FDave

(a) Any belt, including any for a child seat attached to the vehicle is damaged.
    (b) Any cut, sign of over-stretching, badly frayed or obviously unsafely repaired or modified.
    (d). Safety-belt not in accordance with the requirements(1).
    (e). Safety-belt/buckle, including any for a child seat attached to the vehicle, is not operating properly or is damaged.
    (f). Safety-belt retractor, including any for a child seat attached to the vehicle, is not operating properly or is damaged.

From the NCTS manual. Of course it a fail.
    Just in case he is still looking ;p

biko wrote:
    w211 has closed their account, let's leave it at that and focus on OP.

No harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

PM sent to you OP.

I've got a GTI in the garden ready to be sold on for parts.

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    PM sent to you OP.

I've got a GTI in the garden ready to be sold on for parts.

Dsg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

OP did not said anything about damage, only it did not looks nice. By that shaggy belt you can easily lift that car up and it does not snap. Only if there are any mark of cuttings, then is time to replace it. If OP shows to us pictures, we get the better picture about the problem.

Frayed/torn/haggered

That's more than 'it doesn't look nice'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Dsg?

Manual

OP here, thanks for all the posts, didn't realise it would spark such a debate. Not worth the effort of photo and upload but suffice to say the belt is torn, more than just frayed, and even for peace of mind the replacement is worth it.

And loving the idea of red belts OSI, good shout!

antodeco wrote: »
    Thanks.

@OP, just be careful there's no sensor on any of the belt. It may throw up some errors in the car.

Thanks I'll also take the earlier advice too of disabling battery before I do anything

OSI wrote: »
    Perfect time to get red belts ;)

Am researching online as we speak!

Advertisement