Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT fail help

Options
  • 27-10-2018 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I just put a 05 VW polo through the NCT today. I've attached a pic of the bits I've failed on. According to the tester they are small jobs but could anyone take a look and estimate how much I should expect to pay to get it fixed by a garage and passed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Two track rod ends €60 fitted
    2 drop links €60 fitted
    Tracking €35
    Two rear tyres €140 ish for decent brand
    Side light bulb maybe €2 fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

rex-x wrote: »
    2 drop links €60 fitted
    Tracking €35

Phew. Thats not at all bad! Are any of those dangerous to drive on as i prob won't get them fixed until the end of next week?

Nothing dangerous there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Tyres are an advisory so dont need to change them yet but might aswell if you have the money

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Looks like only one track rod end needs replacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

rex-x wrote: »
    2 drop links €60 fitted
    Tracking €35

Where can I get the side light bulb fitted for 2€ in Dublin?

My car's brake and reverse bulbs stopped working today, was thinking of replacing them myself but if it's fitted for that cheap than I'd prefer to have someone else doing it.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bill nye

Amouar wrote: »
    Where can I get the side light bulb fitted for 2€ in Dublin?

My car's brake and reverse bulbs stopped working today, was thinking of replacing them myself but if it's fitted for that cheap than I'd prefer to have someone else doing it.

thanks

Rex means that the garage carrying out the other work will just charge such a low fee to replace the bulb. They won't charge labour for it because it's a quick job and they are getting paid to do the other work.

If you rock up to a garage for a bulb change alone, I'm sure it will cost more than 2 quid.

Bill nye wrote: »
    Rex means that the garage carrying out the other work will just charge such a low fee to replace the bulb. They won't charge labour for it because it's a quick job and they are getting paid to do the other work.

If you rock up to a garage for a bulb change alone, I'm sure it will cost more than 2 quid.

I know that Halfords will fit them for 6 Euros; how much garages usually charge for fitting rear bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bill nye

Not sure, you'd need to ring them and see as I'm sure prices will vary. Will Halfords charge 6 per bulb? It will rack up pretty quick if so. I normally just do mine myself but damnit if they don't seem to make it more awkward as they release newer models. At least when my old Alfa ate through the bulbs, it was quick to change any one of them.

These days you'd need a small child to fit their hands in to change one.

Bill nye wrote: »
    Not sure, you'd need to ring them and see as I'm sure prices will vary. Will Halfords charge 6 per bulb? It will rack up pretty quick if so. I normally just do mine myself but damnit if they don't seem to make it more awkward as they release newer models. At least when my old Alfa ate through the bulbs, it was quick to change any one of them.

These days you'd need a small child to fit their hands in to change one.

I'd be surprised if it's 6€ per bulb as both bulbs are located in the same side and can be replaced at the same time.

• Advertisement

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Looks like only one track rod end needs replacing.

They are always replaced in pairs, same as droplinks. I wouldn't do the job if the customer insisted on one. It makes the job of tracking much easier and it just good practice

Advertisement