Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Failed high idle CO emissions

Options
  • 05-09-2018 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭

All other emissions tests passed just the CO at high idle..

0.6% against required 0.2%

Had dipetane in tank for last few months so not that.

Possible cat failure?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If only we knew what car this was...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sorry, didn't realise that the make of car would really make much of a difference?

It's a golf mkV petrol 1.4 80bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

lawred2 wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't realise that the make of car would really make much of a difference?

It's a golf mkV petrol 1.4 80bhp

Burning oil?

Burning oil?

What would give that away? Black smoke? Smell etc?

Nothing remarkable on that front. And oil levels don't seem to be reducing at any abnormal rates..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's always good to know what car/year/fuel type it is as brands have their quirks, and if someone with same brand had a similar issue it would help you

• Advertisement

Well after failing a retest, ordered a replacement front cat.

In the process of changing it, took the original one off and found the thing empty. No honeycomb whatever. So either some previous clown of an owner banged out contents which seems unlikely or it got worn down to nothing and blown out the back.

Either way, one would have to suppose that's why it was failing for high CO emissions.

Anyone ever seen the contents of a cat completely emptied out where force was not involved?

Another retest later this week so will find out if that was indeed the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Well after failing a retest, ordered a replacement front cat.

In the process of changing it, took the original one off and found the thing empty. No honeycomb whatever. So either some previous clown of an owner banged out contents which seems unlikely or it got worn down to nothing and blown out the back.

Either way, one would have to suppose that's why it was failing for high CO emissions.

Anyone ever seen the contents of a cat completely emptied out where force was not involved?

Another retest later this week so will find out if that was indeed the issue.

Get whoever replaced the cat to do an emissions test..

mikeecho wrote: »
    Get whoever replaced the cat to do an emissions test..

I replaced the CAT.

I replaced the CAT.

And are the emmisions still high after a cat change ?

I had a 1.4 mk iv golf... Never again.

They burn oil, and have chocolate gear boxs,

Might be time to cut your losses

And are the emmisions still high after a cat change ?

I had a 1.4 mk iv golf... Never again.

They burn oil, and have chocolate gear boxs,

Might be time to cut your losses

Retest is Thursday

I'd be very surprised if the CO levels are still high to be honest. The CO levels were only 0.6% with an empty space for a CAT. Failure line is 0.2%. All other readings were comfortably inside the requirements.

Other than the emissions the car is running very well. Only needs to do about 5k a year so more than serves the purpose.

I'd love to know whether the innards of a CAT disappearing entirely is a regular occurrence..

• Advertisement

Retest is Thursday

I'd be very surprised if the CO levels are still high to be honest. The CO levels were only 0.6% with an empty space for a CAT. Failure line is 0.2%. All other readings were comfortably inside the requirements.

Other than the emissions the car is running very well. Only needs to do about 5k a year so more than serves the purpose.

I'd love to know whether the innards of a CAT disappearing entirely is a regular occurrence..

I highly doubt that an entire platinum honeycomb block spat it's way out of the exhaust on its own.

I would suspect that the previous owner had it gutted in an attempt to give the car a few extra bhp.

The 1.4 mk4 was a pathetic gutless car.
    Only ever useful for tipping about town.

A good solid car.. but far too heavy for such a small engine. (I did like mine.. but jebus.. Was it completely underpowered )

I'm glad it's long gone.

I highly doubt that an entire platinum honeycomb block spat it's way out of the exhaust on its own.

I would suspect that the previous owner had it gutted in an attempt to give the car a few extra bhp.

The 1.4 mk4 was a pathetic gutless car.
    Only ever useful for tipping about town.

A good solid car.. but far too heavy for such a small engine. (I did like mine.. but jebus.. Was it completely underpowered )

I'm glad it's long gone.

ah yeah - it only goes up and down to the DART park and ride.

If it was actually forceably removed then I seriously doubt whatever fool did that was overly impressed with the added 'grunt'

ah yeah - it only goes up and down to the DART park and ride.

If it was actually forceably removed then I seriously doubt whatever fool did that was overly impressed with the added 'grunt'

Its a grand comfortable car for tipping about town, i hope your mechanic can fix it.

Maybe it needs an Italian tune up.. take it for a blast to newry in 4th,... stock up on wine &spirits.

Flew through the retest with the replaced CAT

Advertisement