Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long until I receive penalty points notice?

• 19-11-2015 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Just looking for advice here.

Got pulled over by an unmarked garda for speeding. Want doing anything ludicrous but I was over the limit so no complaints. Took my license, confirmed my address, and said I'd receive a fine in the post in 4-5 days. That was on the 29th October, still nothing.

When should I expect to receive this?

Also, I got caught by a speeding van later that night. Stupid to get it twice in one night, I know. I have received that and paid it.

What will the effect of 6 penalty points be on my insurance which is to be renewed at the start of December? And do I have to tell them about 6 points, or only 3 as I've only received notice of one of the offences so far?

Thanks, TJ.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Could be anything up to six months, but 3 or 4 weeks would be the norm.

Is the address on your licence or your vehicle different from your current address?

In terms of insurance, that depends on your insurer. You only have to declare points when they've been applied, but usually you'll have to declare them to your insurer either way, not just at renewal time. There'll probably be a small increase, it depends on your insurer's preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

seamus wrote: »
    Could be anything up to six months, but 3 or 4 weeks would be the norm.

Is the address on your licence or your vehicle different from your current address?

In terms of insurance, that depends on your insurer. You only have to declare points when they've been applied, but usually you'll have to declare them to your insurer either way, not just at renewal time. There'll probably be a small increase, it depends on your insurer's preferences.

Thanks for the advice. I still haven't received anything, and yes the address on my license is still my current address. Checking the post box every day, I'm really worried I'll get a summons or an increased fine for non-payment even though I haven't received anything. I've no issues with paying it so I'm not trying to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

[quote="TJ Mackie;97875409" I'm not trying to pull a fast one.[/quote]
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Guffy

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I still haven't received anything, and yes the address on my license is still my current address. Checking the post box every day, I'm really worried I'll get a summons or an increased fine for non-payment even though I haven't received anything. I've no issues with paying it so I'm not trying to pull a fast one.

If you dont receive it before you receive a summons just go to court and tell the judge you never received it. It will be struck out. Obviously this will have to be done under oath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

If you are very worried. You could always follow it up if you know what garda station the garda was operating from. Depending on where you were stopped ringing up the nearest garda station is probably a safe bet.

There's a few things that could possibly have happened;

because you were stopped twice in the one day, one of the offences may have gotten lost in the system as it was misinterpreted as a duplicate of the same offence. - my money is on this being the case. To find this out call the garda station, as I said, without giving too much away simply ask how many penalty points you have at the moment or pending. If the answers 3 I'd hang up the phone and buy a lottery ticket because you're a lucky bastard.

Human error - The guard may not have entered the offence into the system. Either in error or he may have been feeling generous after giving you a fright.

Edit; the guards may not be able to tell you your penalty points but the road safety authority would; 1890416141.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Finding out how many points he currently has won't answer his dilemma as the points from any fpn won't be applied until a number of weeks after either he pays the fixed penalty charge or he is convicted in court. The Garda stopped him 4 weeks ago which isn't enough time for an FPC to expire and go to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Finding out how many points he currently has won't answer his dilemma as the points from any fpn won't be applied until a number of weeks after either he pays the fixed penalty charge or he is convicted in court. The Garda stopped him 4 weeks ago which isn't enough time for an FPC to expire and go to court.

There will be a record. Either in the garda station or with the RSA. That's why I have advised the OP to ring both. At the very least following up this will prove the OP was genuine and the fault was not his if a later court date were to materialise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There will be a record. Either in the garda station or with the RSA. That's why I have advised the OP to ring both. At the very least following up this will prove the OP was genuine and the fault was not his if a later court date were to materialise.
    Points only exist if the OP accepts the fine or is convicted in court. You have up to 56 days to pay the fine before a summons issued many weeks/months later, so it's by far too soon to know if he has 3 or 6 points.

Neither the Garda nor the RSA will have a record of points that don't exist yet so merely checking how many points he has won't make him any wiser as to whether or not the Garda who stopped him has issued a fine yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Had these unmarked gardai got a hairdryer gun, or on board recording equipment? Did they show you what speed you were doing? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Detectives normally don't bother with road traffic offences unless you are taking the piss. It was most likely a warning.

If they showed you your speed though, that's a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you are very worried. You could always follow it up if you know what garda station the garda was operating from. Depending on where you were stopped ringing up the nearest garda station is probably a safe bet.

There's a few things that could possibly have happened;

because you were stopped twice in the one day, one of the offences may have gotten lost in the system as it was misinterpreted as a duplicate of the same offence. - my money is on this being the case. To find this out call the garda station, as I said, without giving too much away simply ask how many penalty points you have at the moment or pending. If the answers 3 I'd hang up the phone and buy a lottery ticket because you're a lucky bastard

You really should stop talking as your completely off the mark. Speeding fines are generated automatically through a computer system, if you passed 20 speed vans in succession each one is dealt with individually, the system will not misinterpret as a duplicate, ever.

Secondly the Gardai do not have access to people's driving licence details and cannot tell you how many points are in your licence, pending or otherwise. That info belongs to the RSA.

• Advertisement

So I still havent received my fine and im a bit concerned that its going to increase. The garda mentioned at the time that I'd have 28 days to pay it. That was back on October 30th.

I have no problem paying the fine when it comes, but if I get landed with a non-payment fine on top of it, do I have grounds to contest it? How do I prove non receipt, and does it count to me that I paid the first fine I got that night immediately?

Just don't want to have to pay more Than the initial 80e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

The guard has 6 months to even request the fine be issued, then it could take another couple of weeks to be delivered. Just sit tight and it may never come due to him forgetting/deciding against submitting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Guffy

So I still havent received my fine and im a bit concerned that its going to increase. The garda mentioned at the time that I'd have 28 days to pay it. That was back on October 30th.

I have no problem paying the fine when it comes, but if I get landed with a non-payment fine on top of it, do I have grounds to contest it? How do I prove non receipt, and does it count to me that I paid the first fine I got that night immediately?

Just don't want to have to pay more Than the initial 80e.

You will not have to prove it. You will be given the benefit of the doubt and the case will be thrown out.

rex-x wrote: »
    The guard has 6 months to even request the fine be issued, then it could take another couple of weeks to be delivered. Just sit tight and it may never come due to him forgetting/deciding against submitting it.

What's the story with the 6 months?

The reason I ask is that on April 30th, it will be 6 months since the night I was pulled over. I still haven't received any fine/summons/ticket or anything. Is it unusual for me not to have received anything over 5 months and 2 weeks later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

A summons has to be issued within 6 months.

And you would have a total of 56 days to pay the ticket.

So if a ticket isn't received after 4 months... You're safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

What's the story with the 6 months?

The reason I ask is that on April 30th, it will be 6 months since the night I was pulled over. I still haven't received any fine/summons/ticket or anything. Is it unusual for me not to have received anything over 5 months and 2 weeks later?

What was the outcome of this? I'm in a similar situation myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thread is 3 years old, you might be better PMing the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

PM the user instead, or simply start a thread with your specifics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement