Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake issues

Options
  • 24-10-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I had an experience the other day where I had to brake suddenly and when I engaged clutch and brake the car didn’t stop and seemed to move faster before finally stopping. Garage replaced front brake pads and fluid etc. Today car in front of me brakes suddeny so again when I engaged brake & clutch the car seemed to move faster before stopping

I am driving to Dublin in a few weeks time evening rush hour so worrying now if I need to react fast on M50 for example I cannot trust the car

What else can I ask mechanic to check?

2013 Nissan Qashqai

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

ITgirl73 wrote: »
    I had an experience the other day where I had to brake suddenly and when I engaged clutch and brake the car didn’t stop and seemed to move faster before finally stopping. Garage replaced front brake pads and fluid etc. Today car in front of me brakes suddeny so again when I engaged brake & clutch the car seemed to move faster before stopping

I am driving to Dublin in a few weeks time evening rush hour so worrying now if I need to react fast on M50 for example I cannot trust the car

What else can I ask mechanic to check?

2013 Nissan Qashqai

Obvious question your sure ur pressing the clutch?

Sencond if u press the clutch the revs should completely drop. There is no reason possible on this earth that if ur pressing the clutch that the car would speed up. I am mechanic so I’m answering you. Your clutch system is independent of any acceleration controls.

And il just ask u sure ur pressing the right pedal.

You could have it plugged in to see what shows up and if there where any faults we could help u from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Bmw123d wrote: »
    Obvious question your sure ur pressing the clutch?

Sencond if u press the clutch the revs should completely drop. There is no reason possible on this earth that if ur pressing the clutch that the car would speed up. I am mechanic so I’m answering you. Your clutch system is independent of any acceleration controls.

And il just ask u sure ur pressing the right pedal.

You could have it plugged in to see what shows up and if there where any faults we could help u from there.

If the brakes are fooked and you press the clutch it could give the impression that it is speeding up by removing the engine braking and the brake boost. Sounds to me like OP brought the car to a parts swapper and not a decent mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭blackbox

Could you be catching the accelerator with the edge of your shoe when pressing the brake pedal?

I know that I have done this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Interslice wrote:
    ........Sounds to me like OP brought the car to a parts swapper and not a decent mechanic.

You could do the long jump in the Olympics making leaps like that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ITgirl73

khaldrogo wrote: »
    You could do the long jump in the Olympics making leaps like that!!!

😀 it actually feels like that. Deffo not hitting the accelerator. It happens when I am driving along & need to slow/stop in a hurry. Normal braking is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Can I ask why you engage both brake and clutch at the same time? That is a strange process to have. You should just be hitting the brake and clutching in just before stopping.

How long have you owned the car also? Is it relatively new to you, or have you had it a while?

Either ask you mechanic to take it for a drive to see if they see a problem, or perhaps find a quiet/unused bit of road or car park and try braking hard and not clutching at the same time and see if you notice anything strange.

Advertisement