Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vehicle Inspections Northern Ireland

Options
  • 04-01-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

Do the AA or RAC do vehicle inspections in Northern Ireland?

It is not clear from their website....

Anybody know of a competent garage that does this and provides a written report?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Where abouts in NI are the cars you are considering located?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

myshirt wrote: »
    Do the AA or RAC do vehicle inspections in Northern Ireland?

It is not clear from their website....

Anybody know of a competent garage that does this and provides a written report?

Seems clear enough to me, RAC cover NI, AA in UK don't. AA Ireland don't say eitherway.

RAC
    What areas of the UK do you cover?
    Our team of Inspectors provides nationwide coverage.

The AA (UK)
    In which geographical areas do you carry out inspections?

Inspections are only available on the mainland of Great Britain.

Vehicle inspections are not available on any of the islands or in Northern Ireland, and some areas of Scotland and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

Just called both the AA and RAC and neither cover Northern Ireland.

Anybody else have experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

take it to a garage in belfast, better than AA/RAC IMO.

• Advertisement

Have viewed the car myself and am satisfied to the best of my knowledge.

Car came out of UK, had MOT reports and service history. Currently 80k miles.

Came across this guy that will do a full inspection for 150GBP:

http://www.motorvehicle-assessors.co.uk/services/vehicle-purchase-inspections

Not sure how much you can rely on a guy that you pulled off the internet. At least AA and RAC are trading off their name (reduced risk, not eliminated risk). A local garage in the north is not going to speak out again another local garage.

Can always take the chance, pay the money and have my local mechanic give it the full works when I get it home. Concern is then if the car has issues I have very little come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Has anyone used Gareth Gillespie as mentioned above, or anyone else in NI for a vehicle inspection? I've also just found out that RAC don't cover NI (their website is a bit misleading there), and the AA don't seem to want to do hybrids (I'm looking at a Toyota Prius, not sure if they cover NI anyway as I can't call their 0800 number from here).

I have for a car in Newry before. Considered his cost to be expensive but turned out to be cheap in the long run.

From the moment he picked up the phone I knew we had an issue. Turns out the car had been completely resprayed with ticker paint in a number of places indicating filler.

To be fair all this required is a meter which can measure paint depth but I dont have one.

You can do the finance checks for circa 30eur.

Very prefessional guy, good service was worth the money for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I employed a similar guy in Dublin at a cost of €120, and I considered it worth it.

My only problem with this service is paying £150, finding out there is an issue with the car and he advises you not to buy, you then have to pay another £150 for the next car you're interested in, and so on.

But if it works out that the 1st car he checks for you is good, then I think it would be money well spent.

You could also find a few reputable independent garages close to where the car is located, call them and ask them if they would be willing to 'rent out' one of their mechanics for an hour for a fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Tibulus wrote: »
    I have for a car in Newry before. Considered his cost to be expensive but turned out to be cheap in the long run.

From the moment he picked up the phone I knew we had an issue. Turns out the car had been completely resprayed with ticker paint in a number of places indicating filler.

To be fair all this required is a meter which can measure paint depth but I dont have one.

You can do the finance checks for circa 30eur.

Very prefessional guy, good service was worth the money for me anyway.

Thanks for the info. I won't be able to see the car before purchasing, so think the £150 for an independent inspection would be totally worth it before making a decision on the car. It would probably cost me more to go and view the car myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 StunningSteve

How did you get on with Gareth Gillespie?
    Thinking of using him for a car I'm looking at up north.
    Would you recommend him?

Got what I needed for it, would recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 StunningSteve

Thanks lad

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shnoop

Anyone else you guys could recommend in the north, Garreth Gillespie is too busy. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shnoop

Advertisement