Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of a commute is too much

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I don't cycle to work due to the lack of a shower, but I wouldn't let the worrying about the bus fully of people stop me. To be fair to Dublin bus drivers, when I used to cycle (when I worked closer and had showers) they are largely very conscious of cyclists. But probably best not to take the thread off on that tangent because that's been done to death on here.

I would be the complete opposite in my opinion of DB drivers attitudes towards cyclists I’ve found them and bus drivers in general very aggressive towards cyclists im my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    To RayCuns point - I recently switched from a cycle commute to a walking commute.

And part of the reason was that the cycle commute actually wasn't much exercise at all. Walking to work feels more strenuous.

You need to cycle faster then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I moved out of Dublin two years ago, and my commute went from a 10-15 minute cycle (combined) to roughly 2.5-3 hours on public transport a day. 20 minute walk to the station, 40-50 minutes on the train, and then 10-20 minute luas or cycle to work. It's not the worst, but definitely something i'd like to not be doing.

I get to work from home at times, and everything is so much easier when i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I would be the complete opposite in my opinion of DB drivers attitudes towards cyclists I’ve found them and bus drivers in general very aggressive towards cyclists im my experience.

Been cycling in and out of the city centre for over 10 years, and not once had a problem with a Dublin Bus driver. Ever.

For college I had to get a bus 2 hours before lectures started and would be home a little more than 2 hours after lectures finished. Did a commute of about 1.5 hours for a while last year with someone else driving. I couldn't do it long-term. If driving to somewhere the other side of the M50 from Louth it would take about 50 quid a week in tolls, at least the same in diesel. Add in wear and tear and that's well over 5 grand a year after tax. Nevermind the roughly 15 hours a week spent commuting.
    I like my 5-10 minute commute right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

An hour would be the max I would be willing to commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mine is roughly an hour. That's including walking to the Luas and to work after getting off the Luas.

I try to be productive on it whether it be watching a show or catch up on some things. It's the walk to and from the Luas that's the killer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

35-40 minute drive on National roads. Leave the house at 7:45 and arrive in work before 8:30.

Can’t really complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

bnt wrote: »
    I've considered cycling, but there are two things preventing it:
    • the problem of what to do when I get to work - no showers
    • the fact that my route is congested during rush hour with buses driving in the spotty cycle lanes. Having a bus full of passengers silently swearing at you for holding up their bus is no fun. :eek:

An electric bike with a Bosch mid drive motor, will overcome the sweat and lets you accelerate ahead of trouble and also stop more frequently , as you are not worried about losing precious momentum. About €2 k for a good one with hydraulic discs brakes that work great in the wet.

*An electric bike would save a lot of the city commuters here the worst aspects of city transport. Totally different to unassisted cycling. *

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

I usually cycle to work. 20mins in and around 25 home. Currently I am injured so stuck getting the bus until I'm back to health. It's taking about 50-70mins door to door depending on what time on the bus and if it's raining.
    Not cycling has really thrown my month off so far. The dogs don't care that I'm bussing it and still need their walk before work, so I'm up earlier and home later....so my limit is 30mins I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Luckily I live a ten minute walk from work.

There was a guy in the Galway forum recently who genuinely was asking if anyone else was community from Galway to Dublin everyday and how did they find it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There was a guy in the Galway forum recently who genuinely was asking if anyone else was community from Galway to Dublin everyday and how did they find it. :eek:

There is someone where my husband works who is commuting from Galway to Dublin daily. I don't think anyone could keep that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why does somebody do this? Or commutes like it? Can job options be that limited? Id work in tesco over commuting that far. Id even rather be homeless. Theres absolutely no quality of life if youre commuting that far daily, the entire week would feel like an endless cycle with no beginning or end, I would 100% have a mental breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

My commute is around the same (45 mins) if I drive or cycle. This is due to my car park being so far from the office. I prefer to cycle, and make sure I cycle more days than I drive as I really can't stand being stuck in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Count my blessings that I'm now 25 minutes each way in my car, heating full blast, radio depending on mood. Free parking right outside my door.
    I did factory shift work in my early 20s when I lived in my parents house. 1 hour car journey each way to a city. Killer was I was rostered anytime between 8am or 12am so could be on the road anytime of day or night.
    That's a young person's game.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why does somebody do this? Or commutes like it? Can job options be that limited? Id work in tesco over commuting that far. Id even rather be homeless. Theres absolutely no quality of life if youre commuting that far daily, the entire week would feel like an endless cycle with no beginning or end, I would 100% have a mental breakdown

My situation was that there was no jobs where I live and my husband and I were looking after his Dad so we couldn't just up and leave. My situation is that I never went to college, am not qualified in anything and have just worked my whole life. I have worked as a secretary for 13 years but applied for everything, Penneys, Tesco, cleaning jobs, shops, pubs, literally everything that was advertised and, if it wasn't office work or a secretarial job, I was told I didn't have the right experience. It's not as simple as thinking oh I'll just work in Tesco. I spent 3 months applying for every job I saw until I eventually had to start applying for jobs in Dublin. I was offered numerous interviews and I started working within 2 weeks of applying for the first Dublin job. I was offered 3 of the jobs I interviewed for and picked the one I did because it was the shortest distance from Hueston so it took a bit less time.

wakka12 wrote: »

People do it because they perceive themselves to have no choice, very few people have no choice its just the other choices are worse. Over the years I have come across people commuting from Longford and from the NI to Dublin, jobs in NI can be poorly paid in comparison to here. We might think someone commuting to Dublin for a low-grade public service job are nuts but if there is no hope of getting a job in Longford they will do the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

troyzer wrote: »
    My mate is an economist who did his Masters thesis on the health effects of a long commute.

I think the result was that 90 minutes total per day is the tipping point, after that you exponentially increase the negative affects on health and productivity.

wonder if age also matters on this equation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

I had a reasonably comfortable 40 minute commute to work, until they changed the dart timetables recently. Now it more often takes 55 minutes on much smaller trains and therefore much fuller and more uncomfortable carriages. More stellar work from Irish rail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Himself commuted to Dublin over a year, which takes him bit under 2 hours each way, he is on Flexi time though and stayed with his parents for a night to ease it. He now moved to an office a lot closer which will take him 50 minutes door to door once he has his own car. Right now he is car pooling which takes him roughly an hour each way.
    Living in an area with little employment perspectives if you're skilled but we can't afford to move closer to Dublin and honestly I wouldn't want to because I don't like it too much.
    Long term plan is to relocate to Wexford town, where he works now.

I'll be looking for a job within the next 6 months because I'm looking after my kids but feel like I've done my time and would like to do something again. I'd be willing to do everything as long as it's close because I wouldn't gain a cent if I'd have to commute further. Even if I'd get a minimum wage job, between childcare and running a car I wouldn't be working for much disposable income.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 fordyjames

I used to have a 3 hour commute in the car in total for three years and then roughly half an hour walking to work and another half hour walk back to the car. Commuted to Dublin and of course work had no parking as was city centre. I was fresh out of college and would rather drive than live in a **** hole or living with randomers. The oul Yaris never let me down! Had to get the experience.

Got a new job then local to me which is an eight minute drive from where I live and for more money and plenty of parking. I nearly have a boner still going in every day to work.
    I would never go back to that commute even if my wages doubled. Houses probably a third or a quarter of the prices that they are in dublin where i live.

Happy with what I'm getting so will never go back to that kip which is dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

You're lucky to have a job at all in the current economic climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Commute by car between 30 and 60 minutes each way. When I take the motorbike it takes me around 20 to 35 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

There's loads of jobs around

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Have been living and renting in Dublin with a 10 minute walk to work the last 9 years. But am moving to our first home down the country near friends and family and will face a 3hour return journey commute until we find work closer down there.
    And I can't wait!
    Going from a pokey 1 bed apartment in a dodge area to a 4 bedroom house on an acre of land with a mortgage not much more than our current rent, is so worth it to me.
    We will be able to take the hit salary wise down the line to find work closer but for now, I'll be more than happy to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Think it depends on the comfort of the commute as opposed to the time spent sometimes.

I'd rather have an hour on a bus, sitting down comfortably, getting a seat early on in the route, than 30 mins standing on a packed bus being pushed and shoved around with no space or comfort to do anything.

You can do a lot on a commute (if it's comfortable) - read, podcasts, watch Netflix, music, do makeup, meditation, send emails. You can do feck all being cramped onto a Dublin bus or luas hanging onto a railing and struggling to breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Luckily my work is a fifteen minute walk away...an.absolute godsend. Means I can get up at 8am each day and never have to rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

piplip87 wrote: »
    I do a 5-6 hour round trip. Can't afford to live in Dublin, personal circumstances also have me still living in Cavan.

Hour and a half each way on the bus plus 40 minutes Luas daily.

Up at 4:45 home at 6. Still better than sitting at home on the dole. Will relocate workwise back to city centre in the new year though.

Marginally.

What planet are you living on? employment is at its highest rate ever.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/employment-at-highest-level-ever-according-to-labour-force-survey-886583.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

There's loads of jobs around

Try live of the wages most are offering

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement