Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of a commute is too much

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

My commute is 20-25mins depends on school traffic in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

At the moment if I need to drive or get a bus it’s too far.

Currently 7 mins to walk from the house door to the door of work.

On an average work week the only driving I do is to my boot camp class.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mine is c.30 minutes door to door - includes a small bit of driving to the train. Then the train and then either walk/cycle to work. Some mornings take the kids to school so that adds c.10-15 minutes but don't mind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

From those in Limerick City. There is a guy that work in the Sports Arena at UL. His house is the first one in Milford Grange, just off campus. Jammy bastard.. Lol

I'm about 10 minute cycle from UL for my studies. It contributes to my daily exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

• Short commute: <10 minutes
    • Fine commute: 10 -> 20 minutes
    • OK commute: 20 -> 30 minutes
    • Long commute 30: -> 45 minutes
    • Horrible commute: 45 -> 60 minutes
    • Are you mad???: > 60 minutes

This should be the rules that all planning departments stick to with a target of at least 80% of the population commuting for less than 30 minutes. But Sinn Fein & friends disagree.

Me right now is about 7 minute walk. Did 25 to 30 minute commute for about a decade, and that's the longest I will ever go. Prior to that, the various commutes I did were anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.

And yes, I live and work in Dublin city. There are a huge number of companies screaming for employees that I have refused to work for because they made a complete stupid-ass decision to locate themselves in some soulless concrete "commercial park" that 90% of the population of Dublin can't commute to easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

dotsman wrote: »
    • Short commute: <10 minutes
    • Fine commute: 10 -> 20 minutes
    • OK commute: 20 -> 30 minutes
    • Long commute 30: -> 45 minutes
    • Horrible commute: 45 -> 60 minutes
    • Are you mad???: > 60 minutes

This should be the rules that all planning departments stick to with a target of at least 80% of the population commuting for less than 30 minutes. But Sinn Fein & friends disagree.

Me right now is about 7 minute walk. Did 25 to 30 minute commute for about a decade, and that's the longest I will ever go. Prior to that, the various commutes I did were anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.

And yes, I live and work in Dublin city. There are a huge number of companies screaming for employees that I have refused to work for because they made a complete stupid-ass decision to locate themselves in some soulless concrete "commercial park" that 90% of the population of Dublin can't commute to easily.

The mode of transport is important too. Im a 15 min cycle from my place now, which is absolutely brilliant yes, but a few years ago I used to commute 45 mins by bus, and I much preferred it. It forced me to get up early and Id read on the comfy bus watching the world go by. Way nicer than on my bike with my heavy satchel and the rain and wind whipping my face and being sweaty when I get in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

wakka12 wrote: »
    The mode of transport is important too. Im a 15 min cycle from my place now, which is absolutely brilliant yes, but a few years ago I used to commute 45 mins by bus, and I much preferred it. It forced me to get up early and Id read on the comfy bus watching the world go by. Way nicer than on my bike with my heavy satchel and the rain and wind whipping my face and being sweaty when I get in

True, that's why I've never cycled. Even if you're lucky to work in an office with decent showers/changing facilities, the amount of time/hassle is not worth it in my opinion. Either a short walk or short public transport for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

25-30 min cycle each way. I live just beyond the M50 and work in Dublin city centre. I'm lucky enough to be on flexible time, so head in/leave early when the roads aren't very busy. Great way to get exercise and commute done in one go. Bus here is infrequent and can be unpredictable, I find it very inefficient.

The mad thing is, about once or twice a week, I'll walk the ~12km in about 1.5hrs, which at rush hour, is actually faster than the bus, due to walking to bus stop, waiting, then sitting in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If I cant get to work without cycling (and by cycling I mean a handy 20 minutes ambling without working up a sweat) then I'm not interested in the job.

One fallacy I see with people buying or renting out in the likes of Cavan is that any potential savings are eaten up in petrol and the mental health toll of spending so much time sat in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

wakka12 wrote: »

Take 20 minutes for your cycle, maybe wear fewer clothes, don't bring anything unnecessary in your satchel, should sort the sweat problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I used to have a 4 hour plus round trip commute. A living hell.

Now I have a 50 minute round trip...I don't take it for granted, it means so much to my health...physical and mental.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Current job is 25 mins on the bike, +10 mins then for shower.

Been offered a couple of jobs that are length of the M50 commutes, more money but turned them down.

Changing job next week, 25 mins on the bike but 15 mins for shower and i need to go to the gym across the road :pac:

May drive now and then as its not city centre, commute in the morning is a bit of a pain, but commute home is 20 mins.

anything under 45 mins on the bike im happy with, little interest sitting in traffic tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My commute for the last few years is about an hour each way. Almost all motorway though which makes a massive difference. Changed jobs a few months back and even though the time hasn't changed, the commute is much easier as not dealing with the M50 anymore.

I also work from home at least one day a week and that makes a huge difference too.

Perfectly happy to do an hour or a little over in order to live where I want. Have been as close as a 10 minute walk to work for a few years when living in the city, moved to a suburb and the commute was around 30 mins most days (including walking from the car park to office which was 6 or 7 mins) but I always go in after 9 to miss the traffic.

In the process of moving back home to the country where I will be settling for good and any job I’ll have will be in the closest city so will never have less than a 30 minute commute in absolutely ideal situations (if avoiding traffic completely) but other days could be easily an hour+ all depends on what time I will leave, though my aim would be to leave after rush hour as much as possible and come home after evening rush hour. I’m perfectly happy to have this commute though as I said to live where I want, build my own house etc if I was forced to stay living in a different part of the country I would tolerate less of a commute to/from work.

Completely opposite to some posters I could not tolerate any sort of commute unless it was in a car, the idea of being stuck in a train or bus with other people would be a nightmare, I don’t even like having passengers in the car as I’d rather listen to the radio, audiobooks, podcasts in peace. Bikes and walking mean wet and cold so again no thanks, nice comfy warm car every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I had a 250km round trip every day for the guts of 6 months. It was only when I stopped I realised how unproductive I was in work. I was arriving in to work in the morning and each morning it probably took a good hour to actually start any form of meaningful productive work. I had an hour for lunch and then I’d schedule all my afternoon meetings for 4 pm so I could leave early and dial in to the meeting, which was probably 4 days out of 5. It felt like I was only after getting out of the car and then I’d be back in it heading the opposite way down the toad.

Often I’d arrive home after an hour and a half in the car and I wouldn’t even realise I’d been behind the wheel. I was so preoccupied with trying to get work done over the phone on the way home i wasn’t paying anywhere near enough attention to the toad that I should have been.

I was putting colossal miles on the car, wasn’t enjoying work and my mental and physical health was suffering badly. I’m 15 mins from work now and the difference it has made to my life is incredible. I’m happier in myself and dont find myself getting as stressed anymore. My work life has improved significantly as well, I’m actually enjoying work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

mariaalice wrote: »

Try looking for a job in your mid 50`s after you`ve been discarded by a multinational and considered surplus to the current climate. Its grand now if you`re in your 20`s and 30`s but possibilities are limited outside that unless you are in the Public Service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Motivator wrote: »
    I had a 250km round trip every day for the guts of 6 months. It was only when I stopped I realised how unproductive I was in work. I was arriving in to work in the morning and each morning it probably took a good hour to actually start any form of meaningful productive work. I had an hour for lunch and then I’d schedule all my afternoon meetings for 4 pm so I could leave early and dial in to the meeting, which was probably 4 days out of 5. It felt like I was only after getting out of the car and then I’d be back in it heading the opposite way down the toad.

Often I’d arrive home after an hour and a half in the car and I wouldn’t even realise I’d been behind the wheel. I was so preoccupied with trying to get work done over the phone on the way home i wasn’t paying anywhere near enough attention to the toad that I should have been.

I was putting colossal miles on the car, wasn’t enjoying work and my mental and physical health was suffering badly. I’m 15 mins from work now and the difference it has made to my life is incredible. I’m happier in myself and dont find myself getting as stressed anymore. My work life has improved significantly as well, I’m actually enjoying work now.

I used to experience this too. It was a bit frightening trying to remember the drive and realising I couldn't remember most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Plus I'm fairly sure the N7 is off limits to bikes so that's us culchies screwed.

N7 is open to bikes. Motorways are not open to bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I"m fairly sure you're aware not everybody is able bodied enough to do that ?

You're right to say that bikes don't work for everyone. It is worth mentioning that eBikes and trikes in particular can work for some people with some disabilities. The battery provides extra power for those who need extra stamina. They also work for people taking on longer commutes by bike that may not be feasible without the battery. The trikes work for people who don't have great balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I suppose what all the above says, is everybody is different.
    I live in Dublin City Centre and commute out (45 min drive e/w), I had to to get experience and to get away from a job I hated. Once I have enough experience, I'll stop doing it and get a job back in town where I can walk or cycle.
    The drive is by far the worst part of my day and being honest, its not even that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

I recently turned down a job offering circa 18k more a year because the commute would be about 45-60mins compared to my usual 8-10 minute commute.
    Job offered was 8.30-4.30 so would have to commute in busy times whereas the job I am now is 7.30 -3.30 and flexi. Some friends think I'm mad but I personally think it is the best decision I ever made. I find commuting absolutely horrendous personally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

i live in finglas and work beside java republic

handy number so it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For most of my working life, I was always 10min max from work.

Then relocated around 2010/11 and am now 30mins from work. I'm happy enough with that as its more or less a straight road with no congestion.

And due to working shifts, you can be doing it feeling tired, so anything longer would be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I did 13 years of 1hour 20 minute drive each way.
    It’s a wast of time but more so the cost of depreciation etc is huge.

My current job I mostly work from home so I’m on the clock the minute I leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

I think it might be different for different situations driving your self can be very tiring at least on public transport you can watch netflix read a book so your not actually concentrating. Either way I think an hour to and hour to an hour and a half is fine from leaving your door to arriving at work

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

30 minute morning drive from Dunshaughlin to Ballyfermot, driving more or less non-stop. But it means leaving early (6:20am).
    40 minute drive back home (leave 4:30 home before 5:15).

Doesn't sound bad but that's the best part of 60 hours a week taken up with work. That leaves about 25 awake- hours at home in the evenings, Monday to Friday. Awake but a bit more tired...not as young as I used to be, so to speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

At the moment I have a drive of 35 minutes door to door on Monday-Thursday which is grand, doesn't bother me a bit, most of the driving is on motorways.

It is compared to 15 minutes before that but that was just blind luck because I live in a rural area. On a Friday however I have to go to a different location and I drive for 48-60 minutes on crappy roads with potholes which can be very bad in rain, frost or god forbid snow, haven't done it in really bad weather yet.

Have to say it's tiring where you really have to concentrate on the driving and you're stressed about hitting a pothole and not having any phone signal to ring for help but it's only one day a week so I can suffer it. Doing it every day though would too much and I'd give it up, have to say. Without a doubt it depends on the roads. I have a good car and I don't want to wreck it on ****ty roads full of potholes.

I did a 45 min car commute for 18 months....it was Imo too long. 25/30 mins now and that's fine.

I wouldn't consider an hour as a reasonable option... 2 hrs/day commuting..... fnck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

seamus wrote: »
    Also, 40 minutes in a car always feels like wasted time. You're sitting on your hole. You can't read, you can't watch movies, you can't do anything productive.

If you're walking or cycling, you're getting exercise. So your commute never feels like wasted time.

You can listen to podcasts though, which can fill in your knowledge of the weeks events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Anything over an hour each way would be pretty bad (it's currently 25 minutes drive each way) but it's pointless making grand statements as there's other variables there like if you're find a job that's a really good fit or other circumstances, you'd probably suck it down when you're supporting a family and paying bills.

I once did a 2.5 hour trip each way on public transport and it was so hellish, I learned to drive and bought a car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement