Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fatal Collisions

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

So we need to supervise our Grandads now, just so you can reverse without have to actually take care?

You can't just pick and choose from what you've said, you know well what I meant but you choose to be ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

You obviously never have had children. We were walking down the escalator and the OH went back to grab a newspaper. Our son went with her but changed his mind and went to follow me. My OH thought I saw him but I didn't and I went to the car oblivious.

**** happens. That's why people need to take extra care driving in confined spaces/car parks/housing estates with people and kids walking around. Not belting around like a lunatic.

**** happens, would that be a good enough explanation if an elderly driver didn't see your toddler while reversing out of a tight space while you were busy loading up the shopping

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Beltby wrote: »
    Funny that. In a warehouse, the forklift usually has the right of way. In other words, the onus is on the person walking to stay clear while it's moving.

The forklift operator has a duty to operate the machine safely too, of course.

Yeah because a forklift can't go up to 200kph and there aren't likely to be children, elderly or special needs people or any variety of animal you care to imagine lumbering around a warehouse. It's a place of employment and you generally need some sort of approval to be there, and health and safety training. Cars aren't the custodians of the fúckin road who can lace around the place with impunity, that analogy doesn't even remotely line up.
    Ok so in a vehicle with blind spots its negligence not to notice the unseen?

But unsupervised children is no issue?

Im struggling to understand the reasoning here
    So you can't even be more responsible than a child, who, for whatever reason, is unattended. You really shouldn't be on the road in that case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Beltby wrote: »
    Funny that. In a warehouse, the forklift usually has the right of way. In other words, the onus is on the person walking to stay clear while it's moving.

The forklift operator has a duty to operate the machine safely too, of course.
    just saw this now. this is so irrelevant it's hardly worth responding to, surely?

though i will respond with this - that would, on the face of it, be a very poor response based on the standard for hazard controls, which is 1. eliminate the hazard; 2. remove the hazard; 3. isolate the hazard; 4. administer the hazard (i.e. change the way people work), 5. protect with PPE.

that places the action you mention above as barely tolerable as a response to the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

s1ippy wrote: »
    So you can't even be more responsible than a child, who, for whatever reason, is unattended. You really shouldn't be on the road in that case.

What are you on about?

I made the point, if a parent looses sight of a child, through a mistake, it proves mistakes happen.

If mistakes dont happen, then loosing the child is just as negligent as not seeing someone in the blind spot of a vehicle.

Its an abdication of personal responsibility by the padestrian, and its why compo culture has thrived in Ireland.

An attitude that someone else is responsible for my safety at all times, and if not they will pay for it

Dude if you're seriously arguing that a parent could even be remotely responsible for the driver of a car hitting their child then you need actual mental help.

Dude if you're seriously arguing that a parent could even be remotely responsible for the driver of a car hitting their child then you need actual mental help.

Nowhere have I suggested that.

Your emotionally invested in the case in the OP.

Ive suggested mistakes happen, something you dont think can happen.

Im unsure do you drive, if you do, your attitude and lack of understanding is not conducive to someone who drives a commercial vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nowhere have I suggested that.

Your emotionally invested in the case in the OP.

Ive suggested mistakes happen, something you dont think can happen.

Im unsure do you drive, if you do, your attitude and lack of understanding is not conducive to someone who drives a commercial vehicle.

Not seeing someone while reversing, knowing that you have a blind spot isn't a mistake.

It is predictable negligence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I made the point, if a parent looses sight of a child, through a mistake, it proves mistakes happen.
    i fail to see any logic in this. because of the unpredictable nature of small children, mistakes happen in general?

i wonder if they used this defence in the investigation into the challenger disaster. 'hey, if you've ever lost sight of your kid in a car park, mistakes happen, and that's why the shuttle blew up'.

Sorry I hit and killed them but they were where my vehicle was going so it's not my fault.

• Advertisement

i fail to see any logic in this. because of the unpredictable nature of small children, mistakes happen in general?

i wonder if they used this defence in the investigation into the challenger disaster. 'hey, if you've ever lost sight of your kid in a car park, mistakes happen, and that's why the shuttle blew up'.

Ill acquiesce to accept your point of view.

Mistakes dont happen.

There can be no mitigating factors, and the pedestrian has no personal responsibility and must be protected at all costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I feel like it's at least the third time this week I've read that somebody who took somebody else's life with their careless driving is being "treated for shock" at the scene.

Don't mix the meaning of Shock Trauma and emotional shock.
    Trauma shock is a lack of oxygen to vital organs, and can cause death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I
    I get the impression from comments here the driver has the responsibility for the pedestrians safety

Yep! And rightly so. “With great (horse) power, comes great responsibility”. It’s not up to pedestrians to be careful, it’s up to us motorists to drive “with due care and attention” ... especially on rural roads that don’t have street lights or pavements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

One of the guiding principles of "Vision Zero" as adopted by countries like NL and Denmark is a recognition that people are human and human beings make mistakes.

Therefore, a system that aims to successfully keep people safe needs to recognise this basic fact and design for it our traffic systems so that a simple mistake should not result in death or serious injury.

Advertisement