Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp Bedroom

Options
  • 23-09-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi There

Just wondering if any one can advise on how we should tackle an issue with a damp room.

We live in a bungalow on the east facing side of a steep hill around 20% gradient.
    There is often a musty smell in the main bedroom which is on the north west part of the house.
    We have a hydrometer and can see readings up to 80% so use a de-humidifier to reduce the moisture down to 50% (I read that was normal level), but once we turn it off it is quickly back up to 70+

We have a Vent and 2 windows at other times.
    There is a wardrobe on the external wall and while we dont see mould but get a strong musty smell from clothes and carpet.

Can anyone suggest anything? what to eliminate or who to talk to?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

obriendj wrote: »
    Hi There

Just wondering if any one can advise on how we should tackle an issue with a damp room.

We live in a bungalow on the east facing side of a steep hill around 20% gradient.
    There is often a musty smell in the main bedroom which is on the north west part of the house.
    We have a hydrometer and can see readings up to 80% so use a de-humidifier to reduce the moisture down to 50% (I read that was normal level), but once we turn it off it is quickly back up to 70+

We have a Vent and 2 windows at other times.
    There is a wardrobe on the external wall and while we dont see mould but get a strong musty smell from clothes and carpet.

Can anyone suggest anything? what to eliminate or who to talk to?

Thanks
    Is the room occupied? Ventilated?
    Is the floor damp?

It could be moisture from the environment or it could be from occupants. These causes require different solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

Is the room occupied? Ventilated?
    Is the floor damp?

It could be moisture from the environment or it could be from occupants. These causes require different solutions.

Thanks for the reply

The room is occupied. and is ventilated with 2 windows and vent. we are in a bit of a valley of air flow is sometimes limited.

The floor isn't damp.

I think it is more the environment rather than occupancy.
    I was thinking of removing the wardrobe from the external wall and put it on the internal wall. would this help?

Another vent would help to i think.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Thanks for the reply

The room is occupied. and is ventilated with 2 windows and vent. we are in a bit of a valley of air flow is sometimes limited.

The floor isn't damp.

I think it is more the environment rather than occupancy.
    I was thinking of removing the wardrobe from the external wall and put it on the internal wall. would this help?

Another vent would help to i think.

Thanks

Moving the wardrobe won't address the issue I'm afraid.

If the floor isn't damp if be surprised if it was environmental. A couple sleeping in a room can really raise humidity if ventilation is poor. Also, is the room ensuit? If so, is the ensuit ventilated, particularly when the shower is in use.

Next step would be to take some humidity readings in other rooms, just to get an idea of what is going on in the rest of the house. Id then take readings in the problem room, then run the dehumidifier to get it back down to the rest of the house level and while the room remains unoccupied measure humidity 24hrs later.

If it rises significantly, then you have an environmental issue. Otherwise it's a ventilation one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is there a back to the wardrobe or is it just the wall?
    My guess is that the wall behind the wardrobe is rampant

what constitution in the house?
    what age?
    are you gutters in good shape
    are your gullies in good shape?

move wardrobe/lift carpet behind and see.
    You could have leak in the rad plumbing?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Moving the wardrobe won't address the issue I'm afraid.

If the floor isn't damp if be surprised if it was environmental. A couple sleeping in a room can really raise humidity if ventilation is poor. Also, is the room ensuit? If so, is the ensuit ventilated, particularly when the shower is in use.

Next step would be to take some humidity readings in other rooms, just to get an idea of what is going on in the rest of the house. Id then take readings in the problem room, then run the dehumidifier to get it back down to the rest of the house level and while the room remains unoccupied measure humidity 24hrs later.

If it rises significantly, then you have an environmental issue. Otherwise it's a ventilation one.

Thanks for the advice I will go through that. We wouldn't have left it unoccupied for 24 hrs but even after a few hrs, we notice a rise in humidity.

The other rooms could be as humid but never would have the musty smell.

But will run through as you have advised
    What would be the normal humidity level be for Ireland? I have read 40 - 60 % but think they might be US numbers.

Thanks again. Appreciate the help

• Advertisement

Is there a back to the wardrobe or is it just the wall?
    My guess is that the wall behind the wardrobe is rampant

what constitution in the house?
    what age?
    are you gutters in good shape
    are your gullies in good shape?

move wardrobe/lift carpet behind and see.
    You could have leak in the rad plumbing?

There is a back to the wardrobe. I will make a small hole to see. It could be mouldy there but that would have zero ventilation so would expect it to be worse.

The house is mid 90s build.
    Gutters are OK. Cleaned them about a year ago. Could be better of course.

Not sure what you mean by constitution or gullies? But condition is fine I think. And gullies is a gutter right?

Thanks a lot for the response

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

There is a back to the wardrobe. I will make a small hole to see. It could be mouldy there but that would have zero ventilation so would expect it to be worse.

Not sure what you mean by constitution or gullies? But condition is fine I think. And gullies is a gutter right?

I know you say there is a vent, but have you checked it to see if it is clear? Also - are the walls painted or papered? I’ve seen horrendous dampness in an old house before behind wallpaper that you would never have guessed from looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Sorry meant construction, eg cavity block, cavity wall, timber frame

gullies are where the rainwater goes

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement