Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Do Naomh Eanna have a chance against Ballyhale?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭conor05

Of course never really a puck of a ball between the Kilkenny and Wexford Senior club champions.

A lot will depend on TJ Reid and Conor McDonald influence on the game.

Not too many other inter-county players on that Naomh Eanna team though. A lot always depends on TJ alright, sure he can beat a team on his own. I can still see Ballyhale winning by 4/5 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭conor05

Not too many other inter-county players on that Naomh Eanna team though. A lot always depends on TJ alright, sure he can beat a team on his own. I can still see Ballyhale winning by 4/5 myself.

In Fairness Cathal Dunbar would trouble either of the Ballyhale corner backs when the right ball in.
    But Ballyhale have a good spread of players through the team but they still let Bennettsbridge back into the county final with sloppy goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

2 Naomh Eanna corner backs suspended following a Leinster Junior club football match. They are a huge loss. Eoin Molloy and Pedro Travers. Eoin Molloy was MOTM in the county final and Pedro Travers has been criminally underrated outside of the Gorey district for years. Big drop in quality to Tom Stafford and Lee Kinsella who will most likely replace them. Pity for Naomh Eanna as it could leave space for Colin Fennelly to do damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Grueller wrote: »
    2 Naomh Eanna corner backs suspended following a Leinster Junior club football match. They are a huge loss. Eoin Molloy and Pedro Travers. Eoin Molloy was MOTM in the county final and Pedro Travers has been criminally underrated outside of the Gorey district for years. Big drop in quality to Tom Stafford and Lee Kinsella who will most likely replace them. Pity for Naomh Eanna as it could leave space for Colin Fennelly to do damage.

I tend to agree. The availability of Dunbar again is outweighed by the loss of the two corner backs.

That said, Ballyhale have been more functional that fearsome this season so far. From an outsider's perspective at least. The occasion seemed to get to Bennetsbridge in the final as they let TJ in for an early goal, and yet they nearly caught them at the end. In contrast, Gorey put a slow-start behind them to thunder into St.Martin's. I believe Ballyhale scrapped through the semi-final as well.

I really do think the absence of Molloy and Pedro will be too big a factor for Gorey prevail. But.....it seems odd to me that some of the Ballyhale lads went to Australia with KK for that exhibition game last weekend, with club championship just around the corner. I know they didn't play, but it's hardly the most ideal preparation. If anything, I would construe it as an "it's only Gorey" attitude- something which appeared to afflict Martin's in the county final.

I didn't know Dunbar was on that Eanna team, this could be closer than I initially thought.

I didn't know Dunbar was on that Eanna team, this could be closer than I initially thought.

Transferred to them last year leaving a lot of bad feeling in Realt na Mara, Ballygarrett. They got relegated from intermediate and he went to Naomh Eanna after.

Looking bad approaching half time for Naomh Eanna now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Grueller wrote: »
    Looking bad approaching half time for Naomh Eanna now.
    A high scoring game. It seems Cathal Dunbar was the stand-out for Naomh Eanna .
    4-11 would win many hurling matches.

• Advertisement

If Gorey were told beforehand that they would score 4-11, they would assume they won. Too open at the back all year, which makes it all the more remarkable that Martin's didn't score a goal in the county final.

I must say though that I am disappointed that SE radio didn't broadcast the game. I was caught at another match so couldn't physically travel, but surely the game was attractive enough for it to be live? I think if it was Oulart or Martins it would have been on the radio.

Time to post here again. Wexford could definitely push on this year in Championship. The few positonal switches look to be working very well. Kevin Foley is a real class hurler and a joy to watch. Rory O’Connor one of the most skilled forwards in the country at present. There are some fine Hurlers on that Wexford team at present.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Time to post here again. Wexford could definitely push on this year in Championship. The few positonal switches look to be working very well. Kevin Foley is a real class hurler and a joy to watch. Rory O’Connor one of the most skilled forwards in the country at present. There are some fine Hurlers on that Wexford team at present.

the false hope has sucked me in too. I wasnt convinced after the league last year, I thought we had regressed, but I'm happy with things this year. come summer is key though, 2 years running they looked shagged in the depth of the championship, hopefully this year will be better. got an awful draw of fixtures last year with 4 games in a row, break much needed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Is Jack Guiney still involved on Wexford panel?

No as far as I know but I felt his comeback was a bit over-rated and there are better players unearthed on that panel now by Davy.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

No as far as I know but I felt his comeback was a bit over-rated and there are better players unearthed on that panel now by Davy.
    Big strong lad, well able to score and win his ball. Lacking in speed for county ball?

Big strong lad, well able to score and win his ball. Lacking in speed for county ball?

lacking in commitment and effort more so I think as well as not being speedy. Good player, borderline county material, but some players arent willing to give the 100% commitment to the lifestyle of county hurling these days and I wouldnt fault him at all for that.

Bookies have the spread at 4 in favour of Galway this weekend. I think Wexford will get a lot closer, Galway don't seem to be motoring very well without Canning.

I would more or less echo my own thoughts that I posted on the general hurling championship thread earlier. The absence of Canning and reportedly Daithi Burke is a leveller, but it makes winning the individual defensive battles even more important.

I would designate Ryan, O'Hanlon and Murphy as the three main man-markers, with Nolan holding the middle. Matty gets a lot of flak from many quarters but has done a good job keeping lads quiet from play over the years. Maybe Murphy been forced into defensive duties means he won't hit 0-3 from play again, but I feel if we hold our own back there (and don't get exposed by pace), then we have the firepower to do damage at the other end.

To that end, I would start Dunbar as his pace alone is an asset and he changed the game last week. I would be confident ROC won't be as quiet again, and add to it a confident Mogie (great to see him back in good health), an in-form Chin and a reliable Mac, and optimism abounds.

Runs from deep could be a weapon too-DOK has it down to a fine art, and if the three lads mentioned above keep it tight at the back, the likes of Reck, the two Foley's and Donohoe are well able to advance forward to good effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd say ye have more than a good chance on Sunday. Wexford +4 to me would be harsh on yerselves as ye would've beaten a decent Dublin team away bar a freak goal.

Galway don't have any lively forwards in any form this season really aside from Canning who won't feature. They also are missing their only natural fullback. Our hope rests on lads like Conor Cooney and Conor Whelan standing up in a big way.

Could see Liam Óg playing absolute hell with our backs tbh.

Anybody travelling up I would definitely recommend parking as close as you can to the Westside roundabout as you could save a lot of time on the return home. There's an estate on Kingston road you won't get a fine or clamped in provided you don't block a driveway. Safe travels to all. Have a lot of time for Wexford supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

I'd say ye have more than a good chance on Sunday. Wexford +4 to me would be harsh on yerselves as ye would've beaten a decent Dublin team away bar a freak goal.

Galway don't have any lively forwards in any form this season really aside from Canning who won't feature. They also are missing their only natural fullback. Our hope rests on lads like Conor Cooney and Conor Whelan standing up in a big way.

Could see Liam Óg playing absolute hell with our backs tbh.

Anybody travelling up I would definitely recommend parking as close as you can to the Westside roundabout as you could save a lot of time on the return home. There's an estate on Kingston road you won't get a fine or clamped in provided you don't block a driveway. Safe travels to all. Have a lot of time for Wexford supporters.
    Galway has very lively forwards and always gives us a good hiding! Coney,Whelan and especially Cathal Mannion,unsure we have the backs to match up as O Hanlon and Paudie Foley are quite slow for inter county hurling.Galway are way ore physically stronger than Wex. Wexford will have to have everything going for them to be in with a shout of beating them.

Chin starting to get his mojo back in play but damn Wexford need a reliable free taker fast

Chin starting to get his mojo back in play but damn Wexford need a reliable free taker fast

Chin stats from the game- 14 shots on goal,7 Points 7 Wides,just not good enough. Liam Og McGovern-5 Shots,scored 1 point. Keeper Mark Fanning gave away 4 puckouts,gave away 3 points and only for a decent save would of been a goal. This is not good enough,had numerous chances of winning today and especially at the end when Cathal Dunbar should of netted.We continue everyday with these mistakes,why are they not sorted by now? Davy has to know where we are falling short- Puckouts-Freetaker-Shot selection,by now these issues should of been eradicated....

I would say we are probably bottom of the table when it comes to free taking. First half was possibly the worst performance I have ever seen.

Hurled well the second half with Mac and ROC showing what they are capable of with a supply of ball. Dunbar will get flak for that chance at the end but the top teams would have gone for goal as well so. By far the biggest reason we didn't win was the wide count.

Shaun Murphy our hurler of the year? Absolutely flying it without the sweeper responsibility.

We can’t expect to compete at this level with shooting like that and our keeper continues to give 4/5 scores a game away along with 3 frees going wide where he could of let the ball in and give our forwards a chance.We need to bring Mac into games,our best forward is bypassed and left to chase down lost causes,why not send in a few balls to him when he 1 on 1 instead of trying to score from 100 yards? We won’t progress this year with this “system”,completely hamstrung. Agree Shaun Murphy is definitely head and shoulders above everyone this year,Hurling out of his skin.

An interesting one. 2 away games to Dublin and Galway, 2 points on the board and no losses. And not playing at all well and really within themselves. Huge room for improvement, whether they will or can improve is the other question. Hard to know what to make of it so far, be happy they are competing hard and fighting well away from home and getting results but knowing they can be better, or leaving behind 2 games they should have won, same failings with puck outs and frees and not clicking at all.

Really could go either way for this team. They certainly have the ability to kick on and improve, but for the past 2 years they havent done so. Chin needs to never go near a free again until someone coaches him how to actually take one properly. Terrible technique. Might take some pressure off him too and get him more involved in generally play, albeit hitting 5 wides and no scores from play is not exactly shooting the lights out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RiCriostoir

Well, how do you think we will fair out on the 30th of June, in both the Minor and Senior Leinster against Kilkenny?

Will it be a repeat of 2004?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Seems like our best chance since 2004!
    The Stripey men are no great shakes at the moment....
    They are carrying a few, havent seen that since the 90s...

We are our own worst enemies always have been, poor decision making and silly mistakes are our hallmark...

If we put in s hood performance id say its 50/50 but if we dont put them away if given a chance we will lose, you usually only get one chance against the Cat's!!!

As for the Minor Final who knows, lost by a point to them in Bellfield in the round robin, be great to won it, furst time since 84 o think.... Scandalous really! Saying that do we habe lost a couple of replays over the years and list finals narrowly aswell....

All in all its a day a Wexford man to really look forward too, traditional Leinster Final Wex v KK Minor and Senior, its whst we were reared on���� pitty tge Championship is a joke nowadays and has lost uts real exciting appeal....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

Wexford have a great chance if they perform and cut out silly mistakes. Talk seems to be kk will be sharper in the big pitch and there injuries will have cleared up. This will suit wexford and Davy. Wexford will need to go to a place they have never been before in terms of work rate and stick work. If they hold TJ and fennelly, they have a right v
    Chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Didn't even know there was a Wexford supporters thread. Is there not many of us around or what?

Advertisement