Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa Presents (Wrapped or Unwrapped)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Unwrapped growing up and unwrapped for my own kids. Wild excitement regardless. But after the Santa years presents from mom and dad are now wrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Growing up always wrapped! Blew my mind to learn later in life some people got theirs unwrapped. Three kids, separated into bundles and your stocking with name on top so we knew what was what :D

Have 3 kids myself now and we always wrap Santa gifts. It’s actually one of my favourite Christmas Eve traditions now and my Mam said it was exactly hers too. Kids off to bed and sit down to wrap the Santa presents with a glass of something and good TV, I just love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do think the wrapping ad to the surprising element of in wrapping everything and finding out what you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Unwrapped for me as a kid, and I don't wrap my own kids now either.
    However one of them did mention recently they'd like it if Santa wrapped their presents like he does in the Christmas films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kattunge

Always unwrapped for us growing up. I don't know how Santa did it as there were a lot of us. Santa's the best :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

Unwrapped for me and for my husband as kids and we do the same now. A different chair/spot on the sofa each, small bits in a stocking with their name on it. I hate wrapping presents at the best of times - I'm just not very good at it - but would hate the waste of paper too, there would be a ridiculous amount with 3 kids.

Unwrapped for us growing up. Much the same as others, little bundles in designated areas. Presents from my parents were wrapped.

I think we did this thread last year? Was there a poll then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

On a sidenote, I've noticed a good few mention presents from parents. Would make an interesting poll/discussion too. We just had Santa presents, now I'm older I understand why money wise etc, but it never crossed my mind as a kid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Unwrapped for us growing up. And unwrapped for the next generation now too. We care about the environment in this house.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Unwrapped for us growing up. Much the same as others, little bundles in designated areas. Presents from my parents were wrapped.

I think we did this thread last year? Was there a poll then?

It was either last year or possibly 2 years ago during the great Christmas debate series :D

• Advertisement

Couldn't imagine unwrapped presents.

It'd be just like walking into Smyths on Christmas morning. You'd see your Polly Pocket from across the living room. No excitement nor suspense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

jellybear wrote: »
    On a sidenote, I've noticed a good few mention presents from parents. Would make an interesting poll/discussion too. We just had Santa presents, now I'm older I understand why money wise etc, but it never crossed my mind as a kid!!

We never had parents presents either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

No parent presents for us as kids, nor for my kids now and they've never questioned it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

A friends family does parent presents on Christmas Eve. They exchange the more meaningful and personal gifts then. They include things for the entire family (like books for the library or a new board game), pass on family mementos, grandparent gifts, pictures, ornaments, wishes for the new year, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Deja Boo wrote: »
    A friends family does parent presents on Christmas Eve. They exchange the more meaningful and personal gifts then. They include things for the entire family (like books for the library or a new board game), pass on family mementos, grandparent gifts, pictures, ornaments, wishes for the new year, etc.

Actually to be fair I do now do the Christmas Eve box and they know I make that. No big gifts though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I think Santa will be wrapping presents this year, firstly as the wee elf will have as much fun tearing the pressies open, and secondly as Mr & Mrs cluas want to suprise each other with what they have gotten the little elf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

In our house Santa's presents are all set up by the elves and ready to play with (unwrapped) and presents among family are wrapped. Adds to the magic 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Not so much a wrapped or unwrapped question, more an assembled or not assembled.

OH and I have debated this the last few years, which usually end up with me putting together some complicated toy late on Christmas Eve after about 5 glasses of wine :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

As I said earlier in thread - all Gifts wrapped with Santa ones in different wrapping. Both when growing up and with our kids.

My Parents always gave us Gifts too but things like books or games. Left the larger/more expensive gifts to Santa. My Dad since we were teens bought us a CD and a book himself (Mum bought all other gifts). The last CD he bought for me before he died was Snow Patrol - Up to Now.

On assembling Gifts - definitely assembled for the kids if it is a bike or similar. And unwrapped if something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    Not so much a wrapped or unwrapped question, more an assembled or not assembled.

OH and I have debated this the last few years, which usually end up with me putting together some complicated toy late on Christmas Eve after about 5 glasses of wine :eek:

Been there, done that.

Years ago when ours were 2 or 3 we got my daughter a toy kitchen thing & my son a toy tool kit & workbench. We left both in the box for what we thought would be maximum effect without realising it would take me about 3 or 4 hours to build the things... it genuinely took the fun out of Christmas morning that year so we pre assemble everything that needs it beforehand now. Though with gadgets taking over from toys moreso theres less building & more 'connecting' required nowadays!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Been there, done that.

Years ago when ours were 2 or 3 we got my daughter a toy kitchen thing & my son a toy tool kit & workbench. We left both in the box for what we thought would be maximum effect without realising it would take me about 3 or 4 hours to build the things... it genuinely took the fun out of Christmas morning that year so we pre assemble everything that needs it beforehand now. Though with gadgets taking over from toys moreso theres less building & more 'connecting' required nowadays!

Reminds me Christmas, 2 or 3 years ago putting together a ridiculous hard Wendy House for Elf1. Was taking so long that OH went to bed. Was about 1am when I got finish, I was putting some dolls inside and decided to put my head down for a minute and fell asleep for about 3 hours! Luckily I woke up before the kids did!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Reminds me Christmas, 2 or 3 years ago putting together a ridiculous hard Wendy House for Elf1. Was taking so long that OH went to bed. Was about 1am when I got finish, I was putting some dolls inside and decided to put my head down for a minute and sleep asleep for about 3 hours! Luckily I woke up before the kids did!!

Brilliant.

When they're much older & gone beyond the santa years you'll have to tell them that story.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Thats class, TRS30.

DvB I had the same issue with an ikea kids kitchen for her birthday.

My siblings and I had personalised Santa sacks but gifts were left unwrapped. Usually Santa would forget the personalised bags and just leave them on top of the piles, we all had designated spots on the couch/floor.
    My parents would get us some gifts too and they'd be wrapped, usually made up of books, Christmas outfits, and new pyjamas.
    We had a mischievous elf in our house that would poke holes in all the presents to see what everyone got, so we couldn't keep presents under the tree until Christmas eve.
    A tradition we had started off with that we could open one gift each on the night of Christmas eve, but over the years we lost the run of ourselves and would open them all :pac: Christmas morning then was for Santa :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

When we were little they were unwrapped and no presents from parents, just Santa.
    We had unwrapped and assembled for the toddler years but now he's older, a big part of the fun on Christmas morning is assembly with Dad, so they are wrapped in Santa themed paper and unassembled while I sip coffee and wonder what time it's acceptable to open the prosecco.

We do a parent present too. In all he gets about 7 decent presents to unwrap and a stocking, which is loads for a kid I think.

We all do matching PJs ever since the first Christmas video had me looking like a hobo in really old holey PJs. Now at least I look like a smart hobo on Christmas morning.

Neyite wrote: »
    We all do matching PJs ever since the first Christmas video had me looking like a hobo in really old holey PJs. Now at least I look like a smart hobo on Christmas morning.

We did this last year for the first time. Put on Christmas Eve and then changed Christmas morning for going to church. Made for some great picture :)

Such an innocuous thread, but I would have assumed before reading that wrapping gifts was the norm for 99% of people. Who knew.

Such an innocuous thread, but I would have assumed before reading that wrapping gifts was the norm for 99% of people. Who knew.

Same here.

I've never encountered someone that hasn't wrapped presents. My father's family were poor as piss when he was growing up and they still managed newspaper around his presents.

I never knew it was a conscious decision to not wrap (stockings aside)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We did this last year for the first time. Put on Christmas Eve and then changed Christmas morning for going to church. Made for some great picture :)

Granny has no idea yet, but she's getting a pair to match us all as well. :pac:

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    Granny has no idea yet, but she's getting a pair to match us all as well. :pac:

I love it.

We got my Dad a onesie (spelling?) two Christmas ago. Image a 70 year man in a crocodile onesie with a tail :D

Advertisement