Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,551 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you mean the picture isn't level or its off the edge of the screen a bit?

If it's just off the edge then you'll be able to move it over horizontally with the service menu.

If it's actually tilted with one side higher than the other then you'll need to rotate the yoke.

Bottom left impurity issue could be sorted with a magnet / convergence strip placed in the right spot on the back of the tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Jack burton

It's definitely tilted. Kind of hard to see in the pictures but look at the health bars closely and you can see it.

Just looked back at the pictures I took and there's a second screw locking the yoke in place that I missed (that's the problem with only being able to work on things at about 10 at night)

For the convergence strip I remember seeing someone use a snapable stanley blade on a piece of tape to make one before,

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's worth trying out a few different magnet types.

Start with those long thin strips, you can double the up etc for extra stength.

If they don't work, move up to to those black disc fridge magnets.

Neodymium are the last ditch attempt. They are so strong they can't be placed as close to the tube as the others as the whole picture turns into an LSD trip.

Think the caps on my big daddy grundig are starting to go.

It has a nice bright crisp picture....then the screen with flick to a way more washed out and blurry picture for a few seconds and flick back again. I've only seen it when using the Sega Genesis so must play a film on it and keep a watch

Master of the Universe

Check out this warehouse of Sony Wega CRTs that was recently discovered, they just go on forever!

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/iidwzp/ive_heard_you_guys_like_crts/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eddhorse wrote: »

Wow, those things are beautiful!

Master of the Universe

I've been trying for ages to find a unit to put my big arse BVM CRT on that will actually compliment it, rather than looking like it's going to collapse under it's weight the whole time.

Always wanted to try to get a small, steel cabinet that was in the same gunmetal grey as PVMs, but never really found very much - until now!

Check out what I came across on adverts, going to be delivered on Saturday. To top it off, it's actually Sony branded. I can't figure out what it was originally used for though. (guy I'm buying it from say it was a CRT Tv stand but I'm not so sure)

tv-unit-1.png

TV-Unit-2.png

Was a bit worried about the shelf, but he says he stood on it absolutely fine, looks to be reinforced

95e961e9-2788-4a5d-b069-a18d696f42ee.jpg

We stall see on Saturday!

That's unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it's cool isn't it? The Sony logo on it is a newer one, so it's either for some end of the production line CRTs, or maybe an early plasma stand?

There's a hole in the top of it that was maybe for a plasma/LCD stand post?

tv-5.png

The only real thing that concerns me is that the top shelf is timber?

Worst case scenario is you can reinforce it yourself with a piece of mental shaped like a capital "E"

Master of the Universe

Indeed! They were my thoughts exactly. Luckily most of a CRT's weight is at the front where that reinforced plinth is, but I'll see how it goes.

If it doesn't need any further reinforcement, that'll be a really handy place to stick controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I remember seeing a crt years ago that could pivot from the remore control. It was amazing at the time. The circle hole on the top of that stand reminded me of it just now, maybe it was for one of those tvs and the shaft from the motor came up throught that hole, if it is a hole, im just throwing it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Something that's been bothering me about my Sony 21" Trinitron for a long time is when it's one, there's a weird wavy moire effect visible regardless of input and system that I can't figure out.

I've moved anything magnetic away from the TV and tried with different sources.

It's particularly visible on the PS2 memory card browse screen.

Pixels themselves are super sharp and colours look great so I can live with it (and have for a few years since I retrieved the TV from my parent's house), but I'm worried this could be the beginning of the end.

Any ideas/suggestions or is this all too vague? It's really hard to get pictures/videos of it, but I can try.

Master of the Universe

Sounds more like a signal interference problem.

Have you tried all of your inputs, so scart, composite and RF?

Yeah, that's what it looks like, but I can't figure out what from!

I've tried SCART1 with composite and RGB and the front AV ports aswell.

I initially thought it was my crappy Argos SCART switch block, but removing it makes no difference.

I can check with S-Video if I can find the cable for my GC.

The only thing I have for RF us a US NES and it barely tunes in correctly so that's no good!

Master of the Universe

I had that happening really badly with a switcher, turns out it was signals bleeding together slightly. (You can actually tell this is happening if you see console power LEDs coming when they're switched off :eek:)

What are the scart cables you're using like? Have you got any high quality ones?

I've seen some interference like that too with badly shielded cables.

Hope it's not your CRT anyway, any other odd things happening with it?

Master of the Universe

Picked up my new CRT stand today by the way, it's an absolute unit of a unit!

Footprint is small enough, but Christ is it heavy. Just about managed to lift it up into my apartment on my own and subsequently collapsed in a pool of sweat.

BVM fits on beautifully though, it's a perfect fit.

IMG-20200905-111253410.jpg

Have to say though, this is really unsettling to look at :pac:

CRT-2.jpg

To top if off, it's on castors, so the whole lot wheels around with ease.

Not comes the arduous task of wiring everything back up :eek:

o1s1n wrote: »
    I had that happening really badly with a switcher, turns out it was signals bleeding together slightly. (You can actually tell this is happening if you see console power LEDs coming when they're switched off :eek:)

What are the scart cables you're using like? Have you got any high quality ones?

I've seen some interference like that too with badly shielded cables.

Hope it's not your CRT anyway, any other odd things happening with it?

The PS2 cable is from Game and not great, I've got RetroGamingCables Scart cables for the Famicom and SNES so I'll use those and see how we go.

I hauled the set into the living room while my wife was shopping and my GC over composite shows the same interference from different inputs. It almost looks like a moire pattern!

It's like it's just showing regardless of input.

Hopefully I can figure this out. Bought from Totterdells in Bray with money earned working in a petrol station in weekends and evenings, stashed in my parent's waredrobe while I was sharing or renting and recovered when I bought a house of my own... There's a nostalgia aspect to this one.

EDIT:

Seems a bit better with CSync cables. My RGB modded Famicom's cable doesn't have composite connected up, and while I can still see the wavy lines on some colours when messing around with the 240p test suite, it's not as pronounced.

More experimentation to be done. I could live with it until I get a replacement or track down a PVM.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah the main thing to figure out is if there's any variance between input signals to try to rule out the issue being with the tv itself.

The pattern you're talking about sounds like one I've seen using the wrong RGB cables with Nintendo consoles, odd seeing it with a PS2 too though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

You sure that shelf can hold the weight of the bvm long term? If that was me I’d put something underneath the back side just to be sure (stack of Argos catalogues as a temporary measure even :pac: ).

I'd say the bulk of the weight is sitting on the box.
    Behind the screen is mostly air !

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's a bit of an optical illusion. The shelf itself is so strong it would easily take another monitor the same weight on top with ease.

Got everything wired back up again, took about 3 hours - first hour was just untangling everything :eek:

It actually brings the monitor up to proper eye level when playing, which is really lovely!

IMG-20200908-102749712.jpg

I was today years old when I found out there's a "Sexy" menu item on my Sony PVM and BVM's!
    It's in the hidden service menu(degauss+enter while in standard menu). I never noticed it before :)

YyG9OJt.jpg

PEuKm8r.png

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Picked up a Samsung CW-21Z573N the other day. It is a slim backed model that I think may be a HD CRT but can't find much information about it. Can anyone help me understand the main differences between this and my Sony FD Trinitron KV-14LT1B?

Master of the Universe

Your 14 inch Trinitron will have much better geometry for one, those slim back models are known for really bad edge geometry I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Wonder if a CRT is a high resolution monitor, does it lose the scanline'ness of a lower resolution CRT?

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Wonder if a CRT is a high resolution monitor, does it lose the scanline'ness of a lower resolution CRT?

I definitely prefer 600 tvl for 240p gaming and find the higher 800+ tvl just doesn't have the same scanline look at that resolution.

Advertisement