Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 mm laminate flooring vs engineered wood

• 22-09-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    Getting an A rated new build soon enough. We were considering engineered floor for the ground floor (living room and hallway) and the first floor (3 rooms). Recently I have seen 12 mm laminate that looks really good, and at a price similar to the engineered floor (35-60 euro per sqm). I have read that laminate has improved a lot in the last 10 years (I have engineered wood in my actual place). Would I be mad if I choose laminate vs engineered? Is the new 12 mm still very noisy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

anyone?

I find laminate as good as anything now , especially at 12mm. Use good underlay aswell to improve the feel and sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

I have 12mm laminate down the last 3 years in my house, very happy and feels very solid underfoot.
    I went with the normal white underlay 3mm i think and no problems.

AS an aside i put down expensive 5mm underlay in the office with 8mm laminate and the floor feels very "springy" and don't like it at all.

So moral of my experience is thicker floor boards and thinner underlay.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Thank you for the answers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

wobbie10 wrote: »
    I have 12mm laminate down the last 3 years in my house, very happy and feels very solid underfoot.
    I went with the normal white underlay 3mm i think and no problems.

AS an aside i put down expensive 5mm underlay in the office with 8mm laminate and the floor feels very "springy" and don't like it at all.

So moral of my experience is thicker floor boards and thinner underlay.;)

I've the same in my 3 bedrooms and don't find it springy at all.

I was worried it would be, but so far after 2 years it's been fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

We put down 12mm laminate at the start of the year and it’s great, it replaced a solid wood floor that had been badly installed (previous owner had it put in) the lad putting it down used a really good underlay that had tape attached to it to seal the bits together and we’re delighted with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭tenbob1

5mm underlay causes too many floors to fail, stay well clear. That "Spring", is putting constant stress on the click system, which causes them to eventually break, might be 1 year might be 5, all depends on the traffic that its getting/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Installed 12mm laminate myself and am happy with it. As others said underlay is important. Also know your Abrasion Control (AC) numbers as not all laminate is created equally, AC1/2 is most likely to degrade with traffic over time whereas AC4/5 is for commerical use and for high foot traffic, its what retail outlets use so try to get that so it still looks good in 10 years time.

I found the site wood4u in the UK very good, cost to buy the product (Kronoswiss) was 1,450 here in Noyeks and only 900 for the exact same product over there, that 900 also included an £80 delivery charge from the UK.

Advertisement