Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A&R Video Library :The Documentaries

Options
  • 07-05-2020 10:57am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Been watching a few gaming based documentaries since the whole lockdown started , some are good , some not so good , but thought I'd get a list going , so please add to this:
    notes : Generally I'm just including full documentaries , rather than short 10 minute youtube videos , I'm assuming if a whole documentary is easily found on youtube that its safe to put here . For the Gog/Netflix/Amazon/Paid YT videos I've found some are available on places like vimeo etc , but I'm not posting links .

Ecstasy of Order - The Tetris Masters
    Whats it about :A look at competitive tetris players
    Where to get it https://www.gog.com/movie/ecstasy_of_order_the_tetris_masters
    Trailer:https://youtu.be/yTK6MnPa8Zo
    Any Good : yes , its a pretty good watch , plus Tengen Tetris Action!

King Of Arcades:
    Whats it about : An ex punk starts his own arcade
    where to get it https://www.gog.com/movie/the_king_of_arcades
    Trailer :https://youtu.be/FOB2lB38MsM
    is it any good: its not exactly high stakes , but a fun enough watch

From Russia with love
    Whats it about :the history of tetris
    Where to get it : the whole thing is up on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhwNTo_Yr3k
    Is it any good :Its a BBC documentary so yes , plus its a lot less US centric than other similar docs

Second Skin
    Whats it about : A look at MMO Players in the early 2000s
    Where to get it :its up on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqYW_5jCxDM
    Is it any good?: If you've played an MMO , yes , its a warts and all look at the kind of people who played them.

The Lost Arcade:
    Whats it about :The story of Chinatown Fair , one of the oldest , and last old school arcades in New York , and a mecca for competitive fighters
    get it on : its available to buy from youtube.
    Trailer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmO51CIp67E
    Is it any good: yes , its a look at how 80s acades where run , plus how to create a modern place for people to play arcade fighters.

more to be added later

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks for these. Only ever seen the BBC Tetris one but it's excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What about actual A&R documentaries...

"The search for the exit, one Boardsies secret SMW shame"

"I bought it, sold it, regretted it, bought it again... I don't know who I am anymore"

"Pigeon dating sims taught me nothing, after all"

"Limerick, why is it miles from everyone?"

"One mans pain, I think they only like me because I fix their sh1t"

"The real French invasion of Ireland, painting, surfing, music and arcade cabinet maintenance in Galway"

"I sold it all and regret nothing, the lies we tell ourselves"

Please, feel free to come up with worthy documentaries about our forum and it's varied membership...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'Streets of Golden Rage: An artistic voyage of self discovery, where one man's preconceived erroneous notions are challenged via the purchase of a contemporary masterpiece'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    'Streets of Golden Rage: An artistic voyage of self discovery, where one man's preconceived erroneous notions are challenged via the purchase of a contemporary masterpiece'

He said documentaries, not works of fiction!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The Boulderdash Diaries
    Three colours Red/Green/Blue.
    The March of the Reptons

• Advertisement

Some more Docs

Atari:Easy to learn, hard to master , the fate of atari
    Whats it about : Atari!

Where is it : Free on Amazon Prime
    Is it any good: Not sure , havent actually seen it yet

Bedrooms to Billions
    Whats it about : a more UK oriented jistory of gaming..less crash , more Jet Set Willy
    Where to get it : rent off youtube

Is it any good: ..I actually havent watched it (or its 2 sequels Amiga /Playstation years)yet

The Space Invaders: In Search of Lost Time
    What it about : Another US based arcade documentary
    Where to get it : for sale at Gog.com

is it any good:I havent watched it yet!

Man Vs Snake
    Whats it about :one mans journey to be the worlds greatest Nibbler player

Where to get it : rent it from google play/youtube
    IS it any good?: Yes , its similar to King of Kong , but with a little more depth...speaking of which

King Of Kong
    Whats it about: The amazing Billy Mitchell, hot sauce magnate and MAME enthusiast , also some weebie plays Donkey Kong I think ..
    Where to get it : It appears to be on youtube if you google , also google play

Is it any good: Its the first big Retrogaming documentary , although historically it seems a lot of the drama was edited in , so YMMV

Chasing Ghosts:Beyond the Arcade.
    What is it : a sort of prequel to King of Kong
    Where to get it : it seems to be up on youtube in full
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zHL2204M6I

Is it any good?: yes and no , a lot of the guys covered in it (i.e. Billy Mitchell and some of the Twin Galaxies crew) have later been shown in a much more negative light , but its a good watch anyway.

Charile Brooker's History of Games:
    What is it : PC zone reviewer Charlie Brooker (Who seems to have gone on to make some sort of TV series, I guess)covers video gaming! And he knows his onions , also features Arcade fan Dara O'Brien (he grew up in Ireland's vegas , Bray!), and Graham Linehan.
    Where to watch it : its on youtube

Is it any good ? : yes! while US docu's are great , they tend to follow the the Atari/Arcades/Crash/Nintendo/console wars/fall of arcades rise of Xbox script ..so being a UK doc , this one covers a lot of more local gaming history!

Not For Resale : A Video Game Store Documentary
    What is it: Collecting games in the age of digital downloads , a look at the tangibility of Games
    Where to get it ? rent it on Amazon(seems to be a bit hard to find locally, there are copies available online if you search)

Is it any good? : Yesits a bit UScentric but it looks at the decline of physical media vs the rise of digital downloads , and how it effects collecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Charlie Brooker (Who seems to have gone on to make some sort of TV series, I guess)

Black Mirror! Do yourself a favour and watch it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Vaguely related to the Charlie Brooker chat.
    It's only half an hour long, but the Commercial Breaks episode from 1984 charting the rise and demise of Imagine Software (of Bandersnatch infamy) is a good watch.

https://youtu.be/ZoDh61sgCOg

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

New one just out,
    "From Bedrooms to Billions: The Playstation Revolution"
    ...the definitive story of how PlayStation took #gaming to the next level: from the iconic T-Rex demo to the cultural behemoth that it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    "The real French invasion of Ireland, ...

Sacremembert !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Jesus Christ! I'd forgotten about that....my friends still take the piss out of me with that :D

Wow 7 years ago.
    You should do a where are they now and see how much stuff JackBurtan has accumulated since :D:D:D

Ireland's largest private arcade collection and Sega center :cool:

Actually had a guy contact me about calling down to see it and talk about arcade collecting last year, for a documentary Think he keeps an eye on these forums.

I want to get everything fecking working before it though haha

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You should do a where are they now and see how much stuff JackBurtan has accumulated since :D:D:D

can-i-scrap-my-old-television.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    can-i-scrap-my-old-television.jpg

Is that a pic of the famous "skip" that adverts seller keep threatening to get in? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just watched the bedroom to billions Playstation one and they kept mentioning in the first half about how they were going up against the likes of Sega, Nintendo and 3DO but then never mention Micro$oft once

The MS/Xbox wasn't in the game when the PlayStation1 was in planning/released. The OG Xbox came out after the release of the PlayStation2, by that time Sony had cemented their foothold in the home console market with Sega bowing out. I would say thats why they don't really mention MS/Xbox

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Microsoft was focused on the PC market then with direct X being their big push. They didn't enter the console market until the year after the PS2 release with the XBox and that was after they tried to get a foot into the console space with Windows CE on the Dreamcast in 1998.

The Playstation was 1994. They were up against Sega and Nintendo then and to a much lesser extend the 3DO and Jaguar. No Microsoft and PC gaming wasn't really competing with the consoles, PC games were kind of their own thing as most PC games couldn't be replicated on console as the PC platform had features and advantages the consoles didn't have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

This documentary has some of the best illustrations I've seen :,

That channel make some great videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

That channel make some great videos.

Agreed, definitely worthy of a sub.

Just watching “The Commodore Story" documentary, some Amiga Ireland club folks in it for the short user blurbs - anyone lurking on here have their 1min of fame in it? :)

Advertisement