Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2500w table saw from Lidl

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,228 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It depends on the nature of the work.
    I have a less powerful version, the play in the fence and mitre guide is savage.
    Its handy as I use it for rough work, I don't use the metal stand, I just bolt it to the bench when I need it.
    Is light and portable and I store it on a shelf.
    so horses for courses.

The key fault is lack of repeatability

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

...or are cheap table saws just a bad buy in general maybe?

Yes.

Always.

No exceptions.

Ever.

The only table saw ever worth owning is one that has an excellent fence, plenty of power and a high quality blade. All to be run by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

Anything else is crap, dangerous and a more often than not, a total waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

JayZeus wrote: »
    Yes.

Always.

No exceptions.

Ever.

The only table saw ever worth owning is one that has an excellent fence, plenty of power and a high quality blade. All to be run by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

Anything else is crap, dangerous and a more often than not, a total waste of money.

Ok thanks, appreciate the honesty.

And just regarding the "Ever" part!... do you think maybe if it isn't being used in jobsite environment so unlikely to take much punishment by one careful owner, could some cheaper table saws with sufficient power be upgraded with better fence & blade to offer good value for an amateur woodworker?
    ...rather than spending €700ish maybe, if that's evena fair ballpark figure for a good table saw?

I’m inclined to say no, but before I answer, what are you planning to use the tablesaw to do?

Specifically.

Beyond some general idea that I'd like to get into woodworking, playing around with making furniture and being able to cut up sheet goods with repeatable accuracy is about as specific as I can think at the moment.

I'm aware there's plenty of things can be done without owning a table saw, but was just doing a little research into it when that cheap one popped up in Lidl. I might also consider just going with a mitre saw / tracksaw for now and then possibly even attempt building a table saw from plans using upturned circular saw if I think I can manage it. - Still figuring things out I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I was looking at buying this - local lidl were sold out - don't do much cutting, but every time I do I wish I had something like this but space is a premium

But never heard of a track saw before - now I'm more interested in this, would be perfect

Good detailed answer TB.

A sliding compound miter saw and a track saw will do those things for you with better repeatable accuracy and much more safely. I'd actually start with the track saw.

I'm not saying don't consider a table saw, just that a cheap one is never a good buy. People start out buying them, then they buy a good blade, then they fix the outriggers, fidget with the fence, never getting either to work correctly. Then they realise that table saws scream, throw dust everywhere, burn the edge of boards, kickback or threaten to do so and from time to time you'll get much closer to danger than you ever realised just because of inexperience. That €120 on the cheap saw usually quickly turns into €300-400 if you're chasing accuracy. And a lot of wasted time, because it's still just a crap saw at the centre of it all.

A tracksaw is a really capable tool for ripping sheet goods. Much more capable than any of the cheap jobsite type tablesaws. I have a very good contractor grade saw (Makita 2704N on their adjustable stand) with great outriggers, outfeed rollers and all that gear. It's around a grands worth of tablesaw. I like it a lot, but a tracksaw is a much better option 90% of the time working ply/mdf etc.

The only thing I'd consider, in passing, would be using a crosscut sled on a cheap table saw. But that's not a good enough reason to buy one. Even if they're making crap like that in a form that emulates a much better saw :D

fritzelly wrote: »
    I was looking at buying this - local lidl were sold out - don't do much cutting, but every time I do I wish I had something like this but space is a premium

But never heard of a track saw before - now I'm more interested in this, would be perfect

A track saw will rock your woodworking world.

If you want loads of great ideas for working with a tracksaw in a small workshop, make sure you subscribe to Peter Millard's youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdmzQKuDWLU

JayZeus wrote: »
    Good detailed answer TB.

A sliding compound miter saw and a track saw will do those things for you with better repeatable accuracy and much more safely. I'd actually start with the track saw.

I'm not saying don't consider a table saw, just that a cheap one is never a good buy. People start out buying them, then they buy a good blade, then they fix the outriggers, fidget with the fence, never getting either to work correctly. Then they realise that table saws scream, throw dust everywhere, burn the edge of boards, kickback or threaten to do so and from time to time you'll get much closer to danger than you ever realised just because of inexperience. That €120 on the cheap saw usually quickly turns into €300-400 if you're chasing accuracy. And a lot of wasted time, because it's still just a crap saw at the centre of it all.

A tracksaw is a really capable tool for ripping sheet goods. Much more capable than any of the cheap jobsite type tablesaws. I have a very good contractor grade saw (Makita 2704N on their adjustable stand) with great outriggers, outfeed rollers and all that gear. It's around a grands worth of tablesaw. I like it a lot, but a tracksaw is a much better option 90% of the time working ply/mdf etc.

The only thing I'd consider, in passing, would be using a crosscut sled on a cheap table saw. But that's not a good enough reason to buy one. Even if they're making crap like that in a form that emulates a much better saw :D

Hey, thanks so much for your comprehensive reply on this. Very helpful and much appreciated!

I've been eyeing up a few different tools at same time, and been watching Peter Millard's channel too... so thinking now for time being at least, I might just go with a tracksaw and possibly an Evolution compound mitre saw as I like the idea of being able to cut other materials using different blades

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I recently posted some information about the 1800w older version of that saw (assuming the 2500w one is also made by the same factory as the Einhall one, which is also branded by Lidl as a Parkside saw), on the "What are you working on currently?" thread, where I mounted one on the side of a bench. My original post was here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114406341&postcount=759

and then a follow up with some more information after iamtony asked a couple of questions:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114406341&postcount=762

My two cents: 100% agree with the JayZeus on the tracksaw recommendation for your specific scenario and budget.

• Advertisement

Some great points there, thanks for reply and links.

I've seen a few examples on youtube of workbenches being purpose-built to accommodate what look to be portable table-saws by more reputable brands like Bosch or DeWalt ...making for plenty of workspace and a very sturdy setup.

I wouldn't go to all that cost and trouble to design things around a sub-standard supermarket saw, but do you think it's generally a good approach for those better branded ones? or do people just make those so they can still have the portability option of removing their saw from their workshop to bring to site elsewhere.
    I wouldn't really care so much about the portability aspect, just wondering if that kind of setup is anywhere near as good as having a bigger heavier table-saw that might cost a couple grand or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,228 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

re
    just wondering if that kind of setup is anywhere near as good as having a bigger heavier table-saw that might cost a couple grand or so!

No, never will be.
    I had a sheppach 4000
    like in the ad below
    https://www.adverts.ie/power-tools/scheppach-ts4000/15704113
    and when I moved I had to sell it.
    Nothing I have ever had since has even come close.

In passing I got 1,200 for mine so maybe the saw in the ad was not perfect, mine was.

In relation to designing things around "substandard: saws, two points.
    If you design it like the one chillyspoon posted, the saw part can be adjusted if u upgrade
    second point, if it makes using it safer, which it will if done right....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I wouldn't go to all that cost and trouble to design things around a sub-standard supermarket saw, but do you think it's generally a good approach for those better branded ones? or do people just make those so they can still have the portability option of removing their saw from their workshop to bring to site elsewhere.
    re
    just wondering if that kind of setup is anywhere near as good as having a bigger heavier table-saw that might cost a couple grand or so!

No, never will be.

In relation to designing things around "substandard: saws, two points.
    If you design it like the one chillyspoon posted, the saw part can be adjusted if u upgrade
    second point, if it makes using it safer, which it will if done right....

+1, I'm with Calahonda52. Making something unusable and dangerous into something usable and safer were my two goals with the barn saw. Although I still need to sort out that awful fence.

I have a better jobsite saw integrated into a bench as part of a modular system in my workshop. It's still no substitute for a proper cabinet saw. Manufacturers have to make so many compromises in order to make them light enough and disposable enough for jobsite use (yes; they are often treated as disposable, e.g. a bunch of DeWalt 745 saws purchased for each new project, hammered to oblivion putting up an estate-load of houses and then sold on in commercial equipment auctions).

You could easily build a bench like the one in my barn in an afternoon or spend more time building a much fancier system - as long as you keep the table saw platform as something that's screwed in (or standalone) and not structural to the rest of the design then it can be modified for future saw changes or completely swapped out. My main jobsite saw stands on its own unit so that if I change it I don't have to touch the rest of the bench.
    1. Would I love a proper cabinet saw like the one Calahonda52 referenced? .. hell yes!
    2. Are my bench mounted jobsite saws sufficient for my level of woodwork? .. sadly also yes! :( ..although that still won't stop me trying to convince the missus that I really need cabinet saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I think aldi and lidl stuff is probably fine for a few simple diy projects.

Just beware.. I know of someone who sliced off all their fingers on one hand and they couldn't be reattached. Not sure of his weapon of choice.

i also know a carpenter with a saw who would saw a few lengths of timber for €30 an hour as a nixer. So I'd find it hard to justify buying a saw from lidl.

Had one for a good while, does anything I need and if you’re not doing much then I wouldn’t bother spending any more.

Thanks all for your helpful replies!

I'm actually thinking I might just go with Lidl tracksaw for now... the affordable Parkside option shown on Peter Millard's channel, probably fit a better blade and then see how much use I'm getting out of it before making any big buying decisions!

Also considering that multi material mitre saw from Evolution ...so defo going to hold off on any table saws for now

Cheers

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I only have a track saw, it does the job.

The only thing I'd say is you'll need to put some thought into setting up your bench for making cuts if you don't want to be faffing around setting the track up every time. Because the track sits on top of whatever you're cutting, it can sometimes be awkward (well, it just requires some thinking) if you're looking to cut timber that's not sheets.

That's where a mitre saw will show it's worth.

awec wrote: »
    I only have a track saw, it does the job.

The only thing I'd say is you'll need to put some thought into setting up your bench for making cuts if you don't want to be faffing around setting the track up every time. Because the track sits on top of whatever you're cutting, it can sometimes be awkward (well, it just requires some thinking) if you're looking to cut timber that's not sheets.

That's where a mitre saw will show it's worth.

Cool, thanks for the pointers!

Advertisement