Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Did you have to present the dissertation or simply hand it in?

Very interested in doing the Higher Diploma in Data Analytics at Maynooth, would ideally love to do the masters, would it cost much to complete the masters once you complete the higher diploma?

I think it would depend on the course and the place you do it. I'd say inquire to Maynooth and ask for details on it. In my case, the springboard course (PGDip) was worth 60 credits, and the dissertation worth 30, giving the total 90 credits for the MSc award. The price for the dissertation element was reduced to reflect that.

As for handing it in - it depends on the course aswell. In the one I've done, due to the course being online-led, it can all be done virtually. As far as I know, there is an option to do the viva in person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Could someone explain :

If I've done a level 8 bachelor of science honours degree in college, is it counter-intuitive to be doing anything below this really?

I'm looking at post-grad course only, but if a level 8 course can be done through springboard in one year it will get you into that industry or sector just as well?

I'm thinking really about the CV/Upon completion what's going to get you straight into a job. As mentioned previously I want out of construction.

There's a few level 7s/level 6s on there certificates, are they enough? I don't have a clue. If they are and a company will take you on, I'd obviously do those rather than put myself through the increased workload/difficulty of a level 9 PgDip etc...

Looking into NIBRT vs Innopharma moving into that sector... need to more research though as I don't know if If the courses get you into the actual pharma firms as a shift worker on the floor/labs or if you're still in an office/technical..

I've a friend in my position in new york who left QS and is now in big pharma but is their global facilities/construction logistics man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I know someone that did one of these level 6, finished it there but it doesn't have enough credits to do a level 7, he has to find something else to bring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Apply through the Springboard website it’s there.
    Thanks

My wife is cari g for my parents and is getting carer's benifit/allowance, would she qualify for a course

• Advertisement

My wife is cari g for my parents and is getting carer's benifit/allowance, would she qualify for a course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Depends on the course.

Springboard is available to both employed and unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Yes. Carer's allowance is one of the qualifying payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

If you have i.e. a level 7 and 15 years related work experience, can you qualify for a level 9 course? Does work experience allow to skip a level? thks

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

MikeOis wrote: »
    If you have i.e. a level 7 and 15 years related work experience, can you qualify for a level 9 course? Does work experience allow to skip a level? thks

No you’d need to do a level 8 unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

It's absolutely possible, it's dependent on the policy for recognition of prior learning of the college, sometimes this is also course specific. I know plenty of people who have done an MSc with a level 7 BSc + some experience. I also know of people who have not done a primary degree but with experience and professional qualifications have entered level 9 diploma courses and onwards to MSc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭This is it

Folks, where can I apply for replacement documents for NFQ? :/ Can't find my certs anywhere. Out away for "safe" keeping. One course has requested CV and a scan of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

It's definitely possible. It's at the discretion of the college with regard to each individual course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

No you’d need to do a level 8 unfortunately.

Absolute Bollócks

Absolute Bollócks

Holders of the Leaving Certificate may apply for studies from Level 5 to Level 8. This is because Level 9 and 10 are Masters and PHD courses, which require a student to have already completed a Level 8 degree for entry. https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/figuring-out-the-difference-between-level-8-and-level-7-30664341.html

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭TestLink

Any way to search for just week end courses offered by SpringBoard? There is Online, Distance etc search criteria, but no option for searching for WeekEnd mode of delivery.

Holders of the Leaving Certificate may apply for studies from Level 5 to Level 8. This is because Level 9 and 10 are Masters and PHD courses, which require a student to have already completed a Level 8 degree for entry. https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/figuring-out-the-difference-between-level-8-and-level-7-30664341.html

That's for leaving cert students who obviously wouldn't have the additional work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

That's for leaving cert students who obviously wouldn't have the additional work experience

It's not a given to be admitted into a level 9 with just work experience. Most level 9 courses on the springboard website do say that while a level 8 degree is an entry requirement, consideration will be given on a case by case basis to those without a primary degree who do hold professional experience.

It's definitely possible. It's at the discretion of the college with regard to each individual course.

Which is why I said this earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Here's the first Masters programme I found on the search.

https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8213

I draw your attention to the Entry Requirements section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Which is why I said this earlier

Missed that. Just don't want anyone to think it's a given and feel let down if the college refuses entry.

Why would anyone bother with a level 8 so if they could just do a level 7 and work for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Why would anyone bother with a level 8 so if they could just do a level 7 and work for a bit

I have to say I'm baffled by this question. 'Just' do a level 7 and work for a bit?

Generally, for entry to PG courses, that means a level 7 degree (3 years) plus relevant work for 1-3 years. Arguably more effort and achievement over a level 8 degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I did a level 9 post-grad diploma in Cloud Computing 9 years ago with no level 8 degree but I was a mature student. It was the best thing I ever did and without it, I would not be doing what I am doing now. If you get a chance to do a Springboard course take it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I did a level 9 post-grad diploma in Cloud Computing 9 years ago with no level 8 degree but I was a mature student. It was the best thing I ever did and without it, I would not be doing what I am doing now. If you get a chance to do a Springboard course take it.

Were you working in IT obviously?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Darragh James

Hi, could anyone make some suggestions on good Springboard/HCI courses to do?
    - I want something that I'm likely (if not almost certain) to get a job/career from - NOT doing this for personal satisfaction or to pass the time, and I'm too old to faff around (47 this year);
    - Something where the jobs aren't all in Dublin;
    - I live in the Mid-West (could travel to Clare, Limk, maybe Tipp and Galway for work);
    - I have an honours arts degree and currently work in media but want to change - NO digital marketing or any of that sh1te please!;
    - Interested enough in science stuff e.g. environmental, bio sciences, med-tech etc; also quite like the notion of something like logistics or design (I mean design of actual physical things - buildings, products - not graphic design)
    All help and suggestions welcome!
    Also a few Qs: can anyone do any of these courses? e.g. you don't need a science degree to do a science diploma?
    And: does "full-time" mean you have to attend in person? (This would obviously limit choices of where to apply...)
    Thanks in advance.

- I want something that I'm likely (if not almost certain) to get a job/career from - NOT doing this for personal satisfaction or to pass the time, and I'm too old to faff around (47 this year);
    - I live in the Mid-West (could travel to Clare, Limk, maybe Tipp and Galway for work);
    - I have an honours arts degree and currently work in media but want to change - NO digital marketing or any of that sh1te please!;
    - Interested enough in science stuff e.g. environmental, bio sciences, med-tech etc; also quite like the notion of something like logistics or design (I mean design of actual physical things - buildings, products - not graphic design)
    Also a few Qs: can anyone do any of these courses? e.g. you don't need a science degree to do a science diploma?
    And: does "full-time" mean you have to attend in person? (This would obviously limit choices of where to apply...)
    Thanks in advance.

Very few of the courses are solely online, part time courses will still have in person sessions, obviously with Covid 19, going online will be utilised that bit more but each college will be making their own call on that so it's impossible to know how each course will be managed

The entry requirements for each course are different, they are set out in the "more details" tab for each course on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Thanks in advance.

So basically you want someone to do all the research for you, then answer your questions and tell you what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Could someone explain :

If I've done a level 8 bachelor of science honours degree in college, is it counter-intuitive to be doing anything below this really?

I'm looking at post-grad course only, but if a level 8 course can be done through springboard in one year it will get you into that industry or sector just as well?

I already had a level 8 degree and when I signed up to Springboard I was in split minds about whether to do a level 8 or a level 9 option. At the time, level 9 made sense because it was a progression on the qualification I had. But in the end, I chose the level 8. The main reason was because I was working full time and doing the course part time, coupled with the fact that the course was in a different field relative to my experience. I was so glad I made this choice, it's allowed me to try a subject that I've decided is not really for me, without the risk of failing it for being too difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I'm trying to get p60 as proof of employment, can't seem to get it to show without salary details. Any ideas? Would a redacted p60 be okay?

Advertisement