Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pipe (Corrib Gas documentary) Megathread

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

ricero wrote: »
    I found the whole film very funny seeing them cultchies going mad, it was gas :pac:. In all reality though this film is a propoganda film and is so when sided that I can't take it serouis.

what's a cultchies? if you mean a culchie if great to see an irish person fighting for their land , instead of rolling over like the government. I would say you would love a gas pipe line running past your house. Don't take your post "serouis" :confused:

Great film even if it was shown from one side , can't wait for shell's version now that would be a horror movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭D.U.M.B

Great Documentary!

I'd recommend checking out Gasland
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1558250/

It shows the dangers of 'fracking' which is way of getting natural gas which could be coming to counties like Leitrim, Sligo, Roscommon, Cavan and Fermanagh and more

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0611/1224298736261.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0611/1224298716471.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gunne

This movie is completly biased.Why is there no mention of the decent hard working people employed by Shell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

duckysauce wrote: »
    what's a cultchies? if you mean a culchie if great to see an irish person fighting for their land , instead of rolling over like the government. I would say you would love a gas pipe line running past your house. Don't take your post "serouis" :confused:

Great film even if it was shown from one side , can't wait for shell's version now that would be a horror movie.

Shell are a fantastic company by helping our economy Nd employing Irish people with jobs. Fair play to them :D

Shell are a fantastic company by helping our economy Nd employing Irish people with jobs. Fair play to them :D

a couple of poxy local jobs(oh and they re surfaced the road) and the country loses a massive natural resource to a foreign multinational company , fair play my hole just another example of ireland getting done .

• Advertisement

gunne wrote: »
    This movie is completly biased.Why is there no mention of the decent hard working people employed by Shell

yeah how many are irish ? and how many of the local fishermen and local irish homes, jobs, will they displace through their greed, cop on we got screwed big time here .

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I just saw this documentary and was looking forward to it because I've always been suspicious about how Shell have handled this pipeline project. However I found the film very frustrating because it focuses on emotion and is so short on details. It doesn't explain the basic facts of the project and events occur without any background given. Also there is no timeline. All of the attention is on the locals and Shell to Sea campaign and evidence of how Shell is acting illegaly or immorally is not presented clearly.

There is no background given to the arrest of the five locals, only that they are arrested for breach of a court order and held for (I think) 3 weeks.

One most interesting points I picked up was that Shell have made submissions and applications for stages of the project one by one and the locals haven't been shown the full end to end details of the project. However that point isn't elaborated on and these were the kind of details I was looking for but they were few and far between.

The most interesting person in the film for me was the German woman who took out the injunction against Shell carrying out studies on the commonly owned land. I thought a lot more could have been done with her but she only had a minor role.

Also the campaign goes to Brussels for a hearing but the film doesn't show what happened after the hearing and what the outcome was.

However it does capture the strain on the locals very well and there are some great scenes from the action group meetings.

I also have to say that the Gardaí come across as very professional in it. Any aggression (I would struggle to say violence) only comes after repeated warnings and they were mature enough when arresting people to lead them away without force or handcuffs when the protester didn't resist arrest. I don't think I saw one set of handcuffs used.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,153 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The most interesting person in the film for me was the German woman who took out the injunction against Shell carrying out studies on the commonly owned land. I thought a lot more could have been done with her but she only had a minor role.

Also the campaign goes to Brussels for a hearing but the film doesn't show what happened after the hearing and what the outcome was.

I agree with you there, it should have focused a lot more on those guys since they actualy seemed to have genuine well informed reasons for being against the pipe which we never really got to hear enough about. I guess it focused more on the likes of "the chief", harrington and the farer because they were more entertaining but unfortunatley they also seemed to only have unfounded hyperbolic reasons for opposing the pipe. There wasn't one of their worries expanded upon or backed up in the whole film.

It was an entertaining film and a good watch but I would hasten to call it a documentary at all as it gave a very narrow one sided view that it triesto hammer home with sob stories and manipulation rather than actual facts and evidence. Michael Moore would be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

This is showing in Cape Town this weekend as part of the Tri-Continental film Festival so I did a search to find opinions on it and came upon this thread, really looking forward to seeing it now. Bit of nostalgia for me and maybe a little comparison in the corruption levels at home and here in SA, the oil companies have been drilling all the way along the west coast here with little benefit to most of the locals, it'll be an interesting watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I found the whole film very funny seeing them cultchies going mad, it was gas :pac:. In all reality though this film is a propoganda film and is so when sided that I can't take it serouis.

For a lad with 1,500-odd posts, you're quite active to be going on my ignore list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

PhiliousPhogg's take on this is pretty much spot on, although I thought the Gardai were heavy handed on occasion, but again you are only getting one side of the story and it's clear that there were a lot of scumbags there looking for trouble.

It was a good watch but very emotion based and didn't go into the legalities of the protest, I admired some of the locals for standing up for their way of life and you do get the impression that there were a lot of corners cut to allow shell the access and freedoms they had, but it was all implied rather than fully investigated. You come away thinking why didn't they investigate the legal arguments, unless there weren't any.....

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Uncorruptable

Ruby_Woo wrote: »
    Anyone know if it will be released on DVD anytime soon?

Yep, you can buy it here,

http://thepipe.myshopify.com/
    Iorras55 wrote: »
    You might find it still being shown in Ireland although most screenings now seem to be foreign ones.

Link to current screenings: http://www.thepipethefilm.com/main-sect/

I am organising a showing of the Film on the 08/10/2011 in mountmellick, Here is a the website i have set up to start the ball rolling,

http://mountmellickmovies.webs.com/

Tickets via paypal once you e-mail the e-mail provided on the site.
    Looking to get more film shown there into the future just getting started on the first few.
    I also have to say that the Gardaí come across as very professional in it. Any aggression (I would struggle to say violence) only comes after repeated warnings and they were mature enough when arresting people to lead them away without force or handcuffs when the protester didn't resist arrest. I don't think I saw one set of handcuffs used.

Ah come on now, i think it has been well known that there has been some disgracful attacks by SOME of the police on the protesters, it will be disputed of course but there has been some nasty attacks.

175175.jpg

Advertisement