Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Mercs 0-60 times

Options
  • 22-09-2020 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭

I like Matt Watson and Carwow has some decent car reviews. This is a bit special; seems to have been an open day for bloggers and car magazines to come along and test some cars, he decided to try their 0-60 times out.

It's obvious some of them have lost a fair bit of power over the years, especially the C111, 190E and the AMG Hammer, but they also can't trash the hell out of them either. Hats off to the 300SL time as well, it's 65 years old.

Most of the cars are also Mercedes museum exhibits, I was in it about 18 months ago and the cars are the same.

Cars featured:

300 SL
    C111 concept
    600 Pullman (W100)
    W123 230E
    W124 300E AMG Hammer
    190E 2.5-16 Evo II
    W126 560 SEC
    CLK DTM AMG
    C216 CL 65 AMG
    G500 4X42

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭_ptashek_

A little closer to home - somewhere in Meath, on a wet night, about five years ago:

That 560SEC would have done a much better time if he'd put it through its paces with manual changes on the autobox, controlling the switch points better, or flooring it until the kickdown switch triggered in which case it would have launched from first gear, not second like all V8 mercs did at the time.

But I bet the first rule set by the "heritage collection" folks (and their insurers) was to not floor any of their precious trailer queens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

KevRossi wrote: »

It's obvious some of them have lost a fair bit of power over the years

Its more obvious that he is an irritating twat and cant drive. He'd be better off doing a cooking program

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's very harsh. Looks to me like he has mechanical sympathy and he isn't abusing the clutch in the manual cars at take off. Hence some slow looking starts. He also doesn't go near the rev limiter, which is normally where you have max power in a petrol engine.

unkel wrote: »
    That's very harsh.

I don't think so but he's not quite in the same league of irritating as Shmee or whatever his name is.

Chris Harris and Harry Metcalf are more interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

w124man wrote: »
    Its more obvious that he is an irritating twat and cant drive. He'd be better off doing a cooking program

I think if you want to stay friends with the Mercedes PR team you don't do a burn out in their C111. I mean, how many people outside of Mercedes have ever driven one.

I've checked the photos I took in the museum last year and the cars are the same ones, so they can't exactly trash them, especially not when someone is watching. It's not a fake scripted Top Gear slot.

He has plenty of car reviews up with new cars where he gives it 100%. I like his enthusiasm.

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »
    I think if you want to stay friends with the Mercedes PR team you don't do a burn out in their C111. I mean, how many people outside of Mercedes have ever driven one.

They built 16 of them and they own most of the survivors

Advertisement