Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing insurance with non fault open claim

Options
  • 26-09-2020 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I had a motorbike accident in 2016 that wasn't my fault.
    I have been just renewing our car insurance every year with the same company because I was told I can't move because the claim is open.
    I renewed the insurance again only 3 days ago but I decided to check other insurance companies (bit late I know) and noticed some ask for any accidents in the last 3 years.
    Does this mean I don't have to disclose the accident to them and means I can actually use a different company?
    Also since I only renewed my car insurance in full , is there a cool down period and cancel now? I'm with Ulster Bank car insurance and can't find anything online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you are asked if you have had any accidents or claims in the last 3 years, you can answer No

There is no cooling off period on a renewal, but you can cancel a get a refund within the term and conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

With an open claim you could have issues if you switch. Best bet would be to call the company which is giving the best quote and talk to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You need to get that claim closed. They will leave it open forever and bump your premiums the whole time.

You have to take OP at his word and that liability is decided against the 3rd party. If so, he doesn't have an open claim, the 3rd party does. Only a policyholder can claim on a policy. If I cause an accident, I claim under my policy to cover the costs and outlay involved, not the 3rd party.. Popular use of the phrase does not change that

If liability has not been determined, both policies have an open claim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You have to take OP at his word and that liability is decided against the 3rd party. If so, he doesn't have an open claim, the 3rd party does. Only a policyholder can claim on a policy. If I cause an accident, I claim under my policy to cover the costs and outlay involved, not the 3rd party.. Popular use of the phrase does not change that

If liability has not been determined, both policies have an open claim

So if I was rear ended and I’m going through the injuries board but not involving my own insurer, and no other party is, do I have an open claim? My renewal premium jumped by €400 this year but no one will quote me as a new customer when I answer Yes to the open claim question.

• Advertisement

Smee_Again wrote: »
    So if I was rear ended and I’m going through the injuries board but not involving my own insurer, and no other party is, do I have an open claim? My renewal premium jumped by €400 this year but no one will quote me as a new customer when I answer Yes to the open claim question.

If liability is admitted by the 3rd party insurer on behalf of their client and the remaining issue is quantum, then you don't have an open claim IMO. Presuming you reported the matter to your own insurer at the time, you should insist their record is closed off.

You still have to disclose an accident if within the timeframe of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

honda boi wrote: »
    Hi,
    I had a motorbike accident in 2016 that wasn't my fault.
    I have been just renewing our car insurance every year with the same company because I was told I can't move because the claim is open.
    I renewed the insurance again only 3 days ago but I decided to check other insurance companies (bit late I know) and noticed some ask for any accidents in the last 3 years.
    Does this mean I don't have to disclose the accident to them and means I can actually use a different company?
    Also since I only renewed my car insurance in full , is there a cool down period and cancel now? I'm with Ulster Bank car insurance and can't find anything online.

Having an accident on your motorbike policy should have no bearing whatsoever on your car insurance. Btdt, have the cheque.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Thanks guys gonna ring the cheaper company tomorrow and see what they say,then ring my current insurer and see how much of a refund I get if I cancel.
    Ye I have been told for years that it doesn't matter if the accident was my fault or not, it is the fact that the claim is still open. The bike has been paid for by the person's insurer that hit me so liability is sorted, tho injuries is still ongoing.
    I always found it a bit unfair that the accident isn't my fault but I've been stuck with my current insurers for years and having to pay them whatever they ask for!
    I like how an accident on my bike policy affects my car insurance but my bikes NCB's don't work on my car one,funny that.

Thanks guys gonna ring the cheaper company tomorrow and see what they say,then ring my current insurer and see how much of a refund I get if I cancel.
    Ye I have been told for years that it doesn't matter if the accident was my fault or not, it is the fact that the claim is still open. The bike has been paid for by the person's insurer that hit me so liability is sorted, tho injuries is still ongoing.
    I always found it a bit unfair that the accident isn't my fault but I've been stuck with my current insurers for years and having to pay them whatever they ask for!
    I like how an accident on my bike policy affects my car insurance but my bikes NCB's don't work on my car one,funny that.

Your bike accident shouldn't affect your car insurance at all. No connection between them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Your bike accident shouldn't affect your car insurance at all. No connection between them.

That's not correct, if you go around causing mayhem on your motorbike,, it is perfectly understandable that your car insurers will consider it an underwriting factor. You're asked if you've had any accidents or claims in the last X years, not if it was in a bus, taxi, Honda 50 or green Ford Fiesta

If a 3 party is the cause of a motor accident (agreed and not just opinion) it should have no bearing on either of your policies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

That's not correct, if you go around causing mayhem on your motorbike,, it is perfectly understandable that your car insurers will consider it an underwriting factor. You're asked if you've had any accidents or claims in the last X years, not if it was in a bus, taxi, Honda 50 or green Ford Fiesta

If a 3 party is the cause of a motor accident (agreed and not just opinion) it should have no bearing on either of your policies

If you have a claim on a Motorcycle policy, you definitely should be declaring this to your car insurance as Eggs For Dinner says.

It is a "Have your cake and eat it" situation for insurance companies in this country. Your motorcycle policy will impact your car policy in the event of a claim (and the other way around too), yet Insurance companies will not recognise your "No Claims" bonus from a Motorcycle if you are looking to insure a car.

@OP: If you have an open claim (should be visible on your renewal documentation from your insurer) then the chances of being able to move will be very small. Certainly worth a go but I would not be holding out much hope with the way insurance companies operate here.

Finally got time to ring the cheaper insurance company.
    They said as long as there no accident in the 3 years then it's fine.
    Now I have to ring the current insurer and see if I can get a refund.

First off, what's the the typical anti-motorcycle 'causing mayhem' attitude. For the record, I was hit into the side of my motorcycle, by a car.
    Miscreant wrote: »
    If you have a claim on a Motorcycle policy, you definitely should be declaring this to your car insurance as Eggs For Dinner says.

It is a "Have your cake and eat it" situation for insurance companies in this country. Your motorcycle policy will impact your car policy in the event of a claim (and the other way around too), yet Insurance companies will not recognise your "No Claims" bonus from a Motorcycle if you are looking to insure a car.

@OP: If you have an open claim (should be visible on your renewal documentation from your insurer) then the chances of being able to move will be very small. Certainly worth a go but I would not be holding out much hope with the way insurance companies operate here.

And I'm speaking from a position of fact, in that it actually happened to me, so you should weight that up.

I was driven into by a driver of a car.
    The driver was insured by the same company I was on the motorbike.
    My car coincidentally was also insured by the same company.

When the renewals came - from the same insurer - I querired specifically the issue of the bike incident, and was told my car was not affected, and my car renewal was in fact, not affected.

QED.

You're welcome.

Ode To The Motorist

First off, what's the the typical anti-motorcycle 'causing mayhem' attitude. For the record, I was hit into the side of my motorcycle, by a car.

You're welcome.

Seriously, I don't know whet your issue is. You made a blatantly incorrect statement saying "having an accident on your motorbike policy should have no bearing on car insurance policy' and that there was 'no connection' between them

I gave an example that If (IF) you were causing mayhem on another policy you held for a different class of business, it would affect your car policy

Seriously, I don't know whet your issue is. You made a blatantly incorrect statement saying "having an accident on your motorbike policy should have no bearing on car insurance policy' and that there was 'no connection' between them

I gave an example that If (IF) you were causing mayhem on another policy you held for a different class of business, it would affect your car policy

And I've shown you materially you're incorrect.

Ode To The Motorist

Rang my current insurer and was told I need to send the insurance disc back and state I'm cancelling my insurance.
    I'll get refunded the full amount minus the amount of days I have been covered.
    So if I send the disc back today,they should have it by Thursday,so my policy will be cancelled on Thursday .
    So I'll be changed for 2 weeks cover. Works out 30€-40€ .
    I'm wondering if I send the disc back now and buy the other insurance cover ,I'm technically insured by 2 companies for a few days?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

And I've shown you materially you're incorrect.

You haven't.

You quoted an example from your own experience whereby you were hit in a "no fault" scenario. Quite rightly that shouldn't affect either your car or motorbike insurance.

That doesn't however mean that your car cover shouldn't be affected if say you'd caused a crash on your bike.

I hope you can appreciate the difference.

So new insurance just bought.
    Current policy will cancel this morning, and refund off whatever I'm owed in 10-14 days
    They only ask if there has been an accident within 3 years which there hasn't been. My accident was 4 years ago now.
    When I rang them last week and asked them if my open claim means anything,they said as long as the accident wasn't within 3 years then no.
    And they don't ask anywhere about open claims so seems straight forward really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

So new insurance just bought.
    Current policy will cancel this morning, and refund off whatever I'm owed in 10-14 days
    They only ask if there has been an accident within 3 years which there hasn't been. My accident was 4 years ago now.
    When I rang them last week and asked them if my open claim means anything,they said as long as the accident wasn't within 3 years then no.
    And they don't ask anywhere about open claims so seems straight forward really.

Was that directly with an insurer or via a broker?

I've always felt an open non fault claim should not effect a person's ability to change insurers but have very rarely encountered that being the case in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Smee_Again wrote: »

Believe it or not it can depend on the insurer , some will treat it as a claim and some won’t you’ll need to call them.

It’s ridiculous imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement