Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-09-2020, 14:45   #1
Big Gerry

Hip replacement waiting list

I was watching Prime Time the other day and they had a women on that is waiting 2 years to get a hip replacement.

My mother had a fall a few weeks ago that caused her hip to break and to go into A&E.

Within 48 hours of going into hospital she was able to get hip replacement surgery.

I'm just wondering how my mother was able to get her hip replaced so fast when other people are waiting years ?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-09-2020, 14:48   #2
gipi

Because your mother had broken her hip and was treated as an emergency.
11-10-2020, 20:39   #3
Big Gerry

I wonder if other people who are suffering from constant hip pain could go into A&E and get a new hip like my mother did ?
11-10-2020, 20:44   #4
banie01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gerry View Post
I wonder if other people who are suffering from constant hip pain could go into A&E and get a new hip like my mother did ?
They can present at A+E of course, but barring a traumatic injury requiring immediate surgical intervention, such as a fracture or dislocation. They will be referred back to the orthopaedic clinic and the waiting list.

A fractured hip usually requires metal work as a minimum, it isn't a cast it and hope fix.

Most people on the waiting list are there for arthritic related or wear and tear.
Not traumatic injury.
One can be managed conservatively whilst awaiting a scheduled op.
The other can not.
(4) thanks from:
11-10-2020, 20:52   #5
Big Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
They can present at A+E of course, but barring a traumatic injury requiring immediate surgical intervention, such as a fracture or dislocation. They will be referred back to the orthopaedic clinic and the waiting list.

A fractured hip usually requires metal work as a minimum, it isn't a cast it and hope fix.

Most people on the waiting list are there for arthritic related or wear and tear.
Not traumatic injury.
One can be managed conservatively whilst awaiting a scheduled op.
The other can not.

Someone who is in extreme pain might try and break their hip so they can get a new one in A&E.

I can't imagine waiting 2 years for such an important operation.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion