Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building / electrical regs

Options
  • 16-11-2018 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Very quick question to all. Part P of the British building regulations refers to the correct and safe installation of electrical equipment (Domestic). While I know the Irish regulations are not compiled the same where in the Irish regs does it have parallels to the same broad point.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very quick question to all. Part P of the British building regulations refers to the correct and safe installation of electrical equipment (Domestic). While I know the Irish regulations are not compiled the same where in the Irish regs does it have parallels to the same broad point.

Our Building Regulations may refer to Electrical regulations, RECI, BS codes etc
    But we don't have specific Building Regulation that covers Electrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

kceire wrote: »
    Our Building Regulations may refer to Electrical regulations, RECI, BS codes etc
    But we don't have specific Building Regulation that covers Electrics.

I know, nor do the English. Part P on makes reference to BS7671. I was wondering where in the Irish regs is there a similar reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I would think that ET 101:2008 NATIONAL RULES FOR ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS is what you are looking for

Gileadi wrote: »
    I would think that ET 101:2008 NATIONAL RULES FOR ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS is what you are looking for

Not quite. They are the regulations that are written by the ETCI / NSAI for electrical installations. What I am looking for is the part in the building regulations that refers to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dusteeroads

Part B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

New one on me

No doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

No doubt

Please post a link to Part B of the building regs that deals with electrics

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Part B

The part B as in Fire Safety?

Please post a link to Part B of the building regs that deals with electrics

It would appear to be on Page 49 under section 1.4.10 Although it is a little vague. In fairness so is part P of the UK regs.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It would appear to be on Page 49 under section 1.4.10 Although it is a little vague. In fairness so is part P of the UK regs.

there is no section 1.4.10 in the current domestic part B ???
    and anyway the previous version distinctly refers to
    National Rules for Electrical Installations (ET 101) published by the Electro-Technical Council
    of Ireland.
    as already said by Gileadi

The requirements for electrical installations are set down in Part D of the second schedule of the building regulations.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    there is no section 1.4.10 in the current domestic part B ???
    and anyway the previous version distinctly refers to as already said by Gileadi

The requirements for electrical installations are set down in Part D of the second schedule of the building regulations.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C1640%2Cen.pdf

Page 49

ive read that

its not relevent as its been superceded

AND IT STILL REFERS TO ET 101:2008 NATIONAL RULES FOR ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS

ive read that

its not relevent as its been superceded

AND IT STILL REFERS TO ET 101:2008 NATIONAL RULES FOR ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS

Erm.... ET 101:2008, fourth edition, is the latest version of the electrical regulations as set out by the ETCI / NASI. The latest has amendments 1,2 and 3. If the building regulations, as set out in section B or D is no longer relevant, can you please let me know what is?

Erm.... ET 101:2008, fourth edition, is the latest version of the electrical regulations as set out by the ETCI / NASI. The latest has amendments 1,2 and 3. If the building regulations, as set out in section B or D is no longer relevant, can you please let me know what is?

youre quite confused

what you linked to was a previous version of TGD B (2006) ....... which has been superceded by TGD B 2017 Volume 2 (Dwelling houses)

in the current relevant TGD B
    1.3.9.4 Electrical installations
    The electrical installation, comprising wiring,
    sockets, switches, fuses, distribution board,
    circuit breakers, earthing, etc., should comply
    with ET101:2008: National Rules for
    Electrical Installations produced by the
    Electro-Technical Council of Ireland.

so AGAIN... the answer to your original question in the OP is
    ET101:2008: National Rules for Electrical Installations

These national rules cover all electrical installations, not just Fire, so pointing to TGD B is incorrect if trying to link building regs with Electric Rules.

The correct link is in Part D of the second schedule of the building regulations, which i have already stated.

Many thanks, zero confusion as I do clearly know the difference for reasons I will not disclose here. The electrical regulations are something I know very well however it has been 15 years since I last had to deal with the building regs; also I have quite clearly stated 2 things. 1. That they are 2 separate documents and... 2. That one refers to the other.

So like I said it was a simple question with no confusion. Perhaps next time you will try answering the question with backup rather than simply throwing up an answer. Where the last persons answer was wrong at least there was some form of check. Many thanks for your help.

It would appear youre waiting for an answer you want to hear... but youre not getting it.

Ill ask you this... when a certifier is checking compliance with building regulations, do they check all the electrical installations?

and ive answered your question twice already.... so for a third time, Part D of the second schedule of the building regulation is applicable.

Many thanks, zero confusion as I do clearly know the difference for reasons I will not disclose here. The electrical regulations are something I know very well however it has been 15 years since I last had to deal with the building regs; also I have quite clearly stated 2 things. 1. That they are 2 separate documents and... 2. That one refers to the other.

So like I said it was a simple question with no confusion. Perhaps next time you will try answering the question with backup rather than simply throwing up an answer. Where the last persons answer was wrong at least there was some form of check. Many thanks for your help.

Big difference between Building Regulations and Electrical Regulations.
    The building Control Authority DO NOT check Electrical Installations for compliance with Electrical Regulations.

Technical Guidance Document Part D (Workmanship and Materials) is the nearest form of Building Regulation that loosely allows one to link Building Regulations and Electrical Regulations which also loosely ties in with the CPR (Construction Products Regulations).

kceire wrote: »
    Big difference between Building Regulations and Electrical Regulations.
    The building Control Authority DO NOT check Electrical Installations for compliance with Electrical Regulations.

Technical Guidance Document Part D (Workmanship and Materials) is the nearest form of Building Regulation that loosely allows one to link Building Regulations and Electrical Regulations which also loosely ties in with the CPR (Construction Products Regulations).

Hi Kceire. I know everything you have stated. By what I have posted I am failing to see how I have not made that clear. Perhaps I need to add a bit of clarity. The building regulations refer to the electrical regulations as what sydthebeat has stated himself. They do this no specific ways, in other words they do not quote a reg; however to my knowledge the electrical do not refer back to the building regs, anywhere. In saying that I have not read the 3rd amendment in great detail yet, there maybe something there that I may not be aware of yet.

Currently there is only 1 body (RECI) that checks electrical installations practices in ROI, there used to be 2 and even at that the body is being slowly absorbed into the NASI as ESSA (Electrical Safety and Standards Assoc) was. It was to happen a number of years back but some internal resistance was met, realistically its only a matter of time.

• Advertisement

Bingo.
    Also stated at 1.3.9.4 of 2017 domestic Part B

Thanks Dusty. I'm going to check all these later just be sure, but it is very helpful.

Bingo.
    Also stated at 1.3.9.4 of 2017 domestic Part B

as i already posted in post #16

but again, that only deals with TGD B

this poster has been given the answer to his question over and over but just refuses to understand it.

as i already posted in post #16

but again, that only deals with TGD B

this poster has been given the answer to his question over and over but just refuses to understand it.

If there was a block button on here I would hit it. I have asked admin to review this post. Your word is not 100% bible and the ethos of boards is for conversation. If you wish to continue in the conversation I invite you to otherwise please stop trolling. Thank you.

If there was a block button on here I would hit it. I have asked admin to review this post. Your word is not 100% bible and the ethos of boards is for conversation. If you wish to continue in the conversation I invite you to otherwise please stop trolling. Thank you.

How is it a conversation when you ask a question but then say the answer is wrong?

Is there some particular answer you are looking / waiting for?

By the way there is a block button that you, and any poster, is free to use... And I've no problem at all with any admin review.

Advertisement