Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many hours do you work a week?

Options
  • 17-11-2018 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I'm a new teacher... trying to figure out how much work I should be taking on. I've gone through a few different careers in my time and I've always been looking for that elusive work/life balance. How many hours would you say you spend working a week between teaching/marking/planning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Kirby42 wrote: »
    I'm a new teacher... trying to figure out how much work I should be taking on. I've gone through a few different careers in my time and I've always been looking for that elusive work/life balance. How many hours would you say you spend working a week between teaching/marking/planning?

It depends on the week. For example around exams such as Christmas summer and mocks I'd have extra corrections but less planning to do as some students are doing exams. I'm heavily involved in two extra curricular activities one of which involves staging a show once year, so natually that's a busy time too. On average I work 8.15 to 6 Monday to Thursday. Fridays I work 8 to 3. At the weekend then I usually do between 4-6 hours but once a month or so I don't do any work at the weekend. I try not to bring work home during the week but the odd time I'd do a couple of hours one evening a week too.

That's based on teaching English and History and having 2 exam classes ( one in third year, one in sixth year) i think thesubjects you teach and groups you have influences the workload.

Sorry forgot to say: Get a 15 minute small break every day, 40 mins lunch 3 days (do lunch time duty the other day and don't take lunch Friday) also I dohve free classes but am mostly disciplined and spend that text correcting or planning but I take a break and chat to my colleagues sometimes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

As a newly qualified teacher, you probably need to be spending as much time on preparation as you spend actually teaching, and then, more again on corrections. That also depends on the subject but the first few years are hard going, unless you’re some sort of prodigy, or not doing a good job.

You can reduce that as you get more experienced, because you’ll have a better idea of what works well, how to differentiate for different abilities, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

agree with RealJohn
    early yrs are tough you are still planning & evaluating every class and making your own resources a lot of the time.
    try to stay in school and get as much done as you can
    Don't go to the staffroom for free classes - spend it in an empty room or the library planning/correcting.
    It does totally depend on subjects though -- history & english will have a lot of correcting for example; I know the practical subjects in our school are constantly tidying equipment cleaning up.after a practical etc. or setting up experiments.

i hate to say it but if you went into teaching thinking you'd have an easier work/life balance and your day ended at 3.30 you poorly misjudged

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Kirby42 wrote: »

21hrs 20mins and opted out of s&s

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Or at least that’s what it feels like since the new JC science course came in
    All these hours being put in and I know in my heart of hearts they are hours wasted because it will 100% change back within the next few years

And here we have the beginning of it
    https://www.thejournal.ie/history-junior-cert-4344972-Nov2018/
    schools have completely changed their timetables around based on change in number of core /optional subjects
    Geography will inevitably follow suit
    And we are right back where we began

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Are you primary or secondary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Qualified a few years ago. This term is super busy with extra curriculars so I'd work a good 10/11 hours a day. I don't always get to take my lunch break.
    I'd usually do a few hours at the weekend too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Teaching - 22.
    Corrections/Prep - 5 or so.

An hour every evening and leave the weekends free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Teaching - 22 hours
    Prep - 1-2 hours seniors cycle
    5 hours per week junior Cycle Science new course - making Earth and Space PowerPoints and resources and finding articles and making up questions for them is taking ages.
    Marking - 3-5 hours
    Co-curricular - 3 hours
    Pastoral stuff - 1-2 hours per week

Min hours - 35
    Max hours - 39

5 hours per week junior Cycle Science new course - making Earth and Space PowerPoints and resources and finding articles and making up questions for them is taking ages.

I found this area of the new course particularly time consuming as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭littlebsci

km79 wrote: »
    Or at least that’s what it feels like since the new JC science course came in

Me too. I'm killing myself cos due to various circumstances I basically have to prepare the whole course (1st, 2nd & 3rd year) for the first time this year. I don't even remember having to put in this much effort when I started teaching 13 years ago! But then again I had a hell of a lot more free time and less personal committments as a new teacher. I'm a firm believer in not making a half baked effort so I'm hoping it'll pay off and will make the next few years a bit easier. Throw in not being around for CBA1 last year and now having to face CBA2 and it for the first time this year and my head is just above water most of the time though. So tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Whatever my contract at the time states. No more, no less.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Whatever my contract at the time states. No more, no less.

When do you do corrections so ?
    What subjects do you teach ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Mr Muffin....Id love to know how you manage that, like many others have mentioned I am spending a lot of time prepping for the new JC specifications on top of just general prep work and marking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

For me last year it was:

Teaching 21:20
    JC Professional Time - 0:40
    Prep (general) - 4 hours (mostly LC HL Maths)
    Junior Cycle Science new course - 5 hours
    Setting up/tidying up practical work - 0:40+
    Marking - 4 hours  (usually, but could be up to 8 hours some weeks)
    Extra Maths classes/ Maths support - 3 hours
    Extracurricular - 1:30
    Class tutor work - 1:30
    S&S - 1:20
    Croke Park hours - 1 hour

Total - 44 hours

A big increase since the new Junior Cycle Science came in (hopefully might settle down) and also since Project Maths was introduced (never settled down - course is too overloaded).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KyCoo

40 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I haven't ever tried counting it but answering email after email, is taking up a lot more of my time lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I haven't ever tried counting it but answering email after email, is taking up a lot more of my time lately.

Hear Hear, I wonder what we did before emails... I usually spend about an hour at home catching up on emails from the day. I could check every now and then at work, but if I started replying the expectation might be to reply ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

I would do at least 15 hours on top of the 21.40 and let's not forget the CP hour and other bits and bobs [emails, photocopying,phone calls], so I would estimate a 38-40 hour week Sept - February and a 50 hour week March-May.

I do feel that the workload depends largely on the subject and mine being mainly English and always honours classes,is hugely time consuming. I was posting on another thread that I generally do about 6 hours on a Sunday. If I've something on the occasional Sunday, that work gets done over Friday and Monday evening. That 6 hours is generally just prep. I do the marking on week nights but from Sept-March I try to keep one or two evenings free. I always keep Saturday free but effectively I work a 6 day week. From March- May it's all marking and revision notes and while I still keep Saturdays free, there's no free evening.

My workload has increased quite significantly with the new JC. I don't do extra curricular, I did in my younger years and in less pressured times, but nowadays I think that teachers giving free labour on top of their heavy workloads, is downright crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

It's great to see all of us having to put more work in for the new junior cycle. Another feather in the bow of that experiment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

It's great to see all of us having to put more work in for the new junior cycle. Another feather in the bow of that experiment.

The nonsense they spewed to justify bringing it in was impressive, it'll be interesting to see what yarn they spin to justify phasing it out again! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Results baby results. I have often looked at teachers who spend twice what I do correcting or preparing. Results pretty much the same. Years of propaganda has made us think kids are empty vessels again

Advertisement