Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garage to living space

• 17-11-2018 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I have a garage (20ft X 20ft) detached from house and I would like to convert into living space.

It is cavity (not twin block with cavity). Need to insulate walls, ceiling and plumb for heating. How much would that cost approx.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

You will need planning permission for change of use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Stanford wrote: »
    You will need planning permission for change of use

I would apply for ppl first or at least enquire, some LS's will not permit it as its detached

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

You could apply to the Local Authority for a Declaration that it is Exempted Development but the application material required is not far off a full planning application, I advise going for planning as you will never be able to sell the house without either planning or a Section 5 Declaration.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Depends what the OP means by living space.
    Do they mean a nice comfy space to do some work, watch tv, play games etc

As long as they don’t provide a bed space and sleep in it then planning is not required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Stanford wrote: »
    You could apply to the Local Authority for a Declaration that it is Exempted Development but the application material required is not far off a full planning application, I advise going for planning as you will never be able to sell the house without either planning or a Section 5 Declaration.

400sqft detached exempted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mackzee

Yes, just place to watch TV and chill
    kceire wrote: »

As long as they don’t provide a bed space and sleep in it then planning is not required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭corco2000

kceire wrote: »

Kc wondering where in planning law is this stated. As I searched recently for a definition on 'habitible' space.
    When is a shed actually living space/ office/ work shed ect....
    What defines it as habible and liable for change of use planning. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

corco2000 wrote: »
    Kc wondering where in planning law is this stated. As I searched recently for a definition on 'habitible' space.
    When is a shed actually living space/ office/ work shed ect....
    What defines it as habible and liable for change of use planning. Thanks

The Planning & Development Act 2000 defines habitable as

"
    "Habitable house" means a house which-

(a) is used as a dwelling,

(b) is not in use but when last used was used, disregarding any unauthorized use, as a dwelling and is not derelict, or

(c) was provided for use as a dwelling but has not been occupied;".

Edit - Any material change of use will require permission.

Advertisement