Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent needs Payment

Options
  • 12-01-2018 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi, I’ve been allocated a Council Flat (took 12 years but not complaining as I was were nearly homeless before Christmas)
    I’m on Disability allowance, but my question is what will they pay for and what won’t they. Basically I have nothing apart from a few pots and pans, going to need everything cooker bed fridge freezer sofas washing machine etc etc.
    Just don’t wanna to put stuff on the form that’s not got on social welfare’s list and waste time
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

bearclaire wrote: »
    Hi, I’ve been allocated a Council Flat (took 12 years but not complaining as I was were nearly homeless before Christmas)
    I’m on Disability allowance, but my question is what will they pay for and what won’t they. Basically I have nothing apart from a few pots and pans, going to need everything cooker bed fridge freezer sofas washing machine etc etc.
    Just don’t wanna to put stuff on the form that’s not got on social welfare’s list and waste time
    Thanks

Don’t worry about “wasting time” , the CWO just wants to know what you have already.
    If you have nothing you will get cooker fridge washing machine, if you don’t have a back yard you will get a dryer, a bed for everyone living there, possibly a tv, kitchen table and chairs, basic 3 piece suite.
    That’s really it.

Thanks

I’ve nothing to offer other than my good wishes for you in your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

splinter65 wrote: »
    Don’t worry about “wasting time” , the CWO just wants to know what you have already.
    If you have nothing you will get cooker fridge washing machine, if you don’t have a back yard you will get a dryer, a bed for everyone living there, possibly a tv, kitchen table and chairs, basic 3 piece suite.
    That’s really it.

Wow That’s a Lot more than I thought ðŸ˜႒
    Thanks for that

I’ve nothing to offer other than my good wishes for you in your new home.

Thank You Maryanne84 Appreciate that. Been a long road but I’m very thankful to be getting my own home

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

i believe they have allowances they are allowed to work off, for eg i know a family of 4 who got 2900 as they had absolutely nothing at all. But other people only get 1000. They wont pay infull for everything so dont expect it. They will give you bare minimum they think you can get away with. Your unlikely to be able to afford the likes of a dishwasher or dryer with what they give you, and if at all possible you should look into laying carpet/lino yourself.

I believe the size of the home also has a baring on how much they can give out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

wifey28 wrote: »
    i believe they have allowances they are allowed to work off, for eg i know a family of 4 who got 2900 as they had absolutely nothing at all. But other people only get 1000. They wont pay infull for everything so dont expect it. They will give you bare minimum they think you can get away with. Your unlikely to be able to afford the likes of a dishwasher or dryer with what they give you, and if at all possible you should look into laying carpet/lino yourself.

I believe the size of the home also has a baring on how much they can give out

The average payment is around 1200 for the basics , beds white goods flooring if needed,and that about it ,
    TVs and other home entertainments are not included.

Everything else wanted should be bought or picked up from sites such as adverts and done deal

Gatling wrote: »
    The average payment is around 1200 for the basics , beds white goods flooring if needed,and that about it ,
    TVs and other home entertainments are not included.

Everything else wanted should be bought or picked up from sites such as adverts and done deal

“Marketplace “ on Facebook is a good place to find cheap or free stuff.

“Marketplace “ on Facebook is a good place to find cheap or free stuff.

Along with various charity shops

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

Is that payment in cash cause I fear some would bet it all in Paddy Powers instead of going to Penney’s or Dunnes to buy household items.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Is that payment in cash cause I fear some would bet it all in Paddy Powers instead of going to Penney’s or Dunnes to buy household items.

No it’s sent by cheque or more recently bank transfer and you have to provide estimates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

No it’s sent by cheque or more recently bank transfer and you have to provide estimates.

@ OP you may not get enough to cover everything you need. If you don’t, come back here and list the items you need. I’m sure there are boardies out there who’ll try help you source everything you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I never personally received this payment, but my Uncle did in 1997 & 2008

The amount was €5000 in 2008 & £1000 in 1997

I never personally received this payment, but my Uncle did in 1997 & 2008

The amount was €5000 in 2008 & £1000 in 1997

€5000 for what ,

Gatling wrote: »
    €5000 for what ,

My exact question to him, i never got a response, i found the post office receipt, hence i asked the question.

I've known people in 3 bedroomed houses to get less.

He had literally nothing at all though in 2008 so maybe that's why.

The guy is an immensely private person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

2008 was before the crash.
    So much has changed since then . The CWO was still with the HSE at the time and they were writing huge Cheques for communion parties and water beds and all kinds of things.
    It’s so pared back now it bares no resemblance to what it was before.

splinter65 wrote: »
    2008 was before the crash.
    So much has changed since then . The CWO was still with the HSE at the time and they were writing huge Cheques for communion parties and water beds and all kinds of things.
    It’s so pared back now it bares no resemblance to what it was before.

There was an outcry after that, no harm to eliminate some of the payments to be fair.

The uncle got the payment in July 2008, another 6 month's he'd have got nothing.

@ OP you may not get enough to cover everything you need. If you don’t, come back here and list the items you need. I’m sure there are boardies out there who’ll try help you source everything you need.

Ahh that’s a wonderful thing to say, I’m not afraid of going without some things and buying secondhand ðŸ˜႒ in fact second hand is often far better quality.

Really appreciate all the advice, As for 5 Grand as much as I’m a disabled single Mum I wouldn’t need that kind of money.
    I’m extremely grateful to get Housed, we very Blessed especially in my current landlord situation ( not the nicest man in the world to say the least)
    I shall put in for what we need get estimates and keep receipts for social welfare, I don’t know if they want receipts but I will submit them anyway
    As I’m very grateful for the Help.
    Thanks Guys for everything

Really appreciate all the advice, As for 5 Grand as much as I’m a disabled single Mum I wouldn’t need that kind of money.
    I’m extremely grateful to get Housed, we very Blessed especially in my current landlord situation ( not the nicest man in the world to say the least)
    I shall put in for what we need get estimates and keep receipts for social welfare, I don’t know if they want receipts but I will submit them anyway

I wish you happiness and peace in your new abode.

Go to the community welfare office first. I think that you have to have estimates before you can buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

You can't just go and buy. You need at least three estimates per item and there is a ceiling on each item.

Advertisement