Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NQT graduated in Ireland needs advice on working in UK

Options
  • 15-10-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone here. It seems like there are many NQTs who have struggled with getting their 300 teaching hours completed for the Teaching Council. I would really appreciate some advise from teachers who have been in a similar situation to me. I just graduated in May this year and I moved to Wales as my husband just started studying at the local University. I found out that I won't be able to work as a teacher in Wales without having my induction done first. So I decided to look for work in England (Bristol and other places closer to English-Welsh boarder). I noticed that most of jobs require a QTS (which is awarded to those who graduated in England upon completion of PGCE here). Also, everyone here (including agencies) is asking about the teacher reference number which I can not get without having a QTS. But my question is how am I supposed to get into work without having a QTS or teacher reference number? I mean are schools even interested in getting candidates without QTS? I noticed that in England QTS is just a normal thing you get when you obtain your teaching qualifications and when I say I am a Newly Qualified Teacher but I do not have QTS the whole questioning starts and schools are completely unsure whether I still would be able to work for them?? Guys could you give me some advice on how to explain to them about the whole situation? I mean if I say for instance in an interview that yes I am a NQT but I haven't got either a Teacher Reference Number (and I cant get it until I get a QTS) or QTS than they're like ok so are you even eligible to get this job? Its really confusing me...are schools even able to give me a job in this circumstance? Do they even consider me to be a Teacher? I honestly am getting more confused about this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Have you applied to the Teaching Regulation Agency (formerly the NCTL) in England who assess overseas teaching qualifications? Is it definitely possible as I know teachers who qualified in Ireland but did their NQT in England.

My only reservation is that the NQT in England is nothing like the Droichead / hours you do here after qualification. There is way more scrutiny over there and you can have at least 6 official lesson observations per year, but you can have way more depending on the school. I had 6 official observations but countless walk-ins, book scrutiny and learning walks to check I was teaching to their required standard. I also had to attend extra CPD sessions for NQTs, luckily these took place in my school so I didn't have to travel far. Really it's another year of being monitored and you are not considered fully qualified until you pass your NQT.

I wonder if you worked in a private school or did unqualified supply work in England would this do for satisfying the TC? Because in Ireland you are already qualified, you just have to do X amount of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AJ McConway

I have talked to dfe and transferring my qualifications or getting them recognised does not really change my situation since I do not have a QTS. Until I get a QTS I cant get a teachers reference number so I can only be employed as an "unqualified" teacher. Working in private school does not count towards 300 teaching hours either. Dfe says I can potentially do my induction in England but it will be an "unofficial" sort of induction as I do not have a QTS. I am thinking of getting my 300 hours done in Ireland. It seems like less hassle and more straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 averagejoesgym

I finished my PME in Ireland in may 2017 started teaching in England in September 2017.

My contract with the English school says I am an unqualified teacher (but i am paid qualified teacher rate thankfully).

I told the English school I just need to do 300 hours (which I have done and has been signed (teaching council form b) off on with Irish teaching council) and complete the 10 NIPT induction workshops in Ireland (I have been travelling to Ireland at weekends to get these done. I have just 1 left)

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

Did you follow the application procedure here? I just found it when going onto my Teaching Regulation Agency.

https://teacherservices.education.gov.uk/MutualRecognition

If you find you are stuck, maybe get in touch with an agency? I know a lot of people have bad experiences with them and it's generally said to get away from them, but there is generally no guarantee realistically you will get a "good" school from one place, like TES or the council website. Though I am doing cover supervisor work (which is quite different), it's good to get a grasp of English schools as they run so differently compared to memories of my own school days back in Ireland. Food for thought.

Having said that, you are lucky you trained over in Ireland. You just need the hours. Unlike English trained NQTS who need to pass the teaching standards consistently and show evidence for every single thing:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 beansontoast12

Hi AJ,
    Get yourself provisionally registered with the teaching Council in Ireland, then you have a PIN to give to the UK schools. They will then let you complete your NQT hours with them. (it's what I did) then when you're ready, tell the teaching Council you're registered, you'll fill out a few forms and that'll be that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement