Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Repairs

Options
  • 16-01-2021 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I’ve a Nintendo Switch. Left JoyCon not charging and console is now useless.
    Brought it back to a Smyths store just before Christmas and was told to f*** off, not their issue they said. Told to contact Nintendo.

Nintendo now saying on website can’t book repairs from Ireland due to Brexit. Anyone any help around this? Don’t want to start paying for repairs and void warranty. This console has barely had any use and the craftsmanship in these things just seems to be absolutely dreadful.

Any help much appreciated, even if anything can do myself to repair (once not opening console and voiding warranty)

Comments

Dmac98 wrote: »
    I’ve a Nintendo Switch. Left JoyCon not charging and console is now useless.
    Brought it back to a Smyths store just before Christmas and was told to f*** off, not their issue they said. Told to contact Nintendo.

Nintendo now saying on website can’t book repairs from Ireland due to Brexit. Anyone any help around this? Don’t want to start paying for repairs and void warranty. This console has barely had any use and the craftsmanship in these things just seems to be absolutely dreadful.

Any help much appreciated, even if anything can do myself to repair (once not opening console and voiding warranty)

Some information on your rights.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/faulty-goods/

when was it purchased?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dmac98

glasso wrote: »
    when was it purchased?

Bought back in April I think, was preordered, but only shipped in May so I think warranty starts from there abouts

Bought back in April I think, was preordered, but only shipped in May so I think warranty starts from there abouts

surely Smyth's have to help you out then :confused:

can try to shaft you after six months tho by requiring independent report

https://www.eccireland.ie/ecc-ireland-issues-advisory-on-consumer-warranties-and-statutory-rights/#:~:text=Under%20Irish%20law%2C%20consumers%20have,at%20the%20time%20of%20purchase.
    Consumer warranties and statutory rights
    Statutory rights

Statutory rights are provided for by legislation (Irish law and EU law as transposed in Ireland). These act as a kind of “legal guarantee”, entitling consumers to seek redress where an item is faulty. Consumers may rely on their statutory rights regardless of whether an item has a warranty or not.

Under Irish law, consumers have up to six years to seek redress for faulty or defective items (both new and second-hand).
    If the product is defective, the seller is generally responsible for providing redress.
    If a fault arises within six months of purchase, it is presumed to have existed at the time of purchase. For this reason, the consumer should not have to provide proof of the defect.
    If the fault arises more than six months after purchase, the seller may request that the consumer prove the fault did not arise as a result of misuse – for instance, by obtaining a report from an independent expert.
    Where an item is faulty, the seller may first offer a repair or replacement item. If this is not possible or fails to correct the problem, a refund may then be provided. Remedies for faulty goods must be provided free of charge.

Warranties

Warranties, or guarantees as they may also be known, are provided by the seller or manufacturer of an item. These differ from statutory rights in that the terms are largely set by the seller or manufacturer itself. It is important to note that warranties exist in addition to consumers’ statutory rights but do not replace them. If, for instance, a particular fault with the product is not covered by a warranty, the consumer may still rely on his or her statutory rights to seek a remedy.

Information on the warranty should be provided in a written document or in a durable and accessible format. The exact duration, geographical coverage, and details of the party offering the warranty must be clearly specified.
    The duration of warranties varies. They may cover a short period of a few months or extend for several years. In general, more expensive items tend to have longer warranty periods.
    Warranties may be offered free of charge or against payment.
    The party offering the warranty is responsible for applying it – this may be the seller, manufacturer, or a third party.
    Warranties may not cover all aspects of the good. For example, a warranty on a tablet may cover defects or faults with the hardware (such as the battery or casing) but not necessarily problems with the software.
    If a fault develops in a product, consumers are advised to contact the seller first to report the issue. If there is a manufacturer or seller’s warranty on the product, read the warranty document carefully to see whether this particular fault is covered. If not, it may still be possible to rely on statutory rights to seek a remedy. If in doubt, contact our office for further advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭jj880

Solution until you get joy con fixed:

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2250092/Trail/searchtext%3ESwitch+controller.htm?desktopSiteActive=true

I think a cheap controller should be used when switch is docked anyway to save using the joycons as they will eventually develop issues. Nintendo should fix their joycons as they are pretty poor long term. But to save my head being wrecked I always have a back controller.

• Advertisement

surely Smyth's have to help you out then :confused:

can try to shaft you after six months tho by requiring independent report

Yeah doesn’t sound great based on that. I actually sent just the JoyCon back in October, and was told they were fine so hopefully can recoup that the fault was within 6 months to help myself out.

Went to Smyths when they opened in December and was greeted by an extraordinarily rude man in the Carrickmines store. Told me I had no right to be in the store as I bought it from Nintendo, and was nothing to do with Smyths despite me ordering it from them!

Was only after twenty minutes arguing he said he could send it back to Nintendo for me, despite saying he couldn’t do that for ages, but refused to give me any proof of the return, and with his rudeness just had no right to leave it in his hands. He was trying to exploit covid to not give me any paper receipt of return, was just a horrible horrible person.

I’ll try escalate this a bit higher than this particular store and hopefully it’ll get sorted. Would just hate to have to go pay for a repair, and then lose warranty and pay for repairs endlessly over the poor quality of these things

jj880 wrote: »
    Solution until you get joy con fixed:

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2250092/Trail/searchtext%3ESwitch+controller.htm?desktopSiteActive=true

I think a cheap controller should be used when switch is docked anyway to save using the joycons as they will eventually develop issues. Nintendo should fix their joycons as they are pretty poor long term. But to save my head being wrecked I always have a back controller.

Thanks for this. Unfortunately my case is that the console is faulty and not the JoyCon themselves as I had initially hoped. So will have to send console back :(

Thanks for this. Unfortunately my case is that the console is faulty and not the JoyCon themselves as I had initially hoped. So will have to send console back :(

Sheeit. Im sure you have tried but just to check - have you tried another set of joycons to see if they charge?

Sheeit. Im sure you have tried but just to check - have you tried another set of joycons to see if they charge?

I don’t actually have another set, but had sent the JoyCon back and they said it was perfectly fine just dead as a dodo, so naturally assuming it’s the switch now. Don’t want to buy Anything else for it until it’s fixed

I don’t actually have another set, but had sent the JoyCon back and they said it was perfectly fine just dead as a dodo, so naturally assuming it’s the switch now. Don’t want to buy Anything else for it until it’s fixed

was thinkin borrow a set just to try a charge up. But yeah if Nintendo say that then I agree - wait for repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭peter4918

This should solve the problem until you sort it out with Nintendo

https://www.gamestop.ie/Switch/Games/64940

sugarman wrote: »
    My right joy con has been back to Nintendo 4 times now over 12 months, doesn't power on. Each and every time it has been sent off with the fault clearly listed and it has come back with a new analogue stick each time.

They don't even test them and support have been absolutely useless. They'll run through the same scripted fault finding and their only "solution" is to book another repair.

Smyths don't want to know either, been impossible to deal with them.

Will be probably go down small claims route, €25 quid but still cheaper than buying a new joy con.

That is disgraceful. I have replaced the analogue stick myself twice on the left joycon and once on the right. Used a repair kit and 2 extra sticks i got for about 20 euro total. So still have 1 stick left which Im sure will be needed soon. Shouldn't have to I know and warranty voided but my son wanted them fixed asap.

If thats how Nintendo handle repairs then I would say to the OP if possible do some self diagnosis. Test your joycons on another Switch. Test your Switch with another set of joycons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I have 2 left joycons in transit from Nintendo. They were fixed and I got an email saying they were sending them back on 18th December. I emailed them today asking for a tracking number and got this:
    Thank you for contacting the Nintendo UK Customer Support team with your repair order query.

We kindly inform you that since the UK is in lockdown, items are not being sent back by the transportation to Ireland.

We apologize for the inconvenience but you will have to wait until the situation changes in the UK.

So i don't even know if they were sent on the 18th and are stuck in a warehouse somewhere, waiting to clear customs, or if Nintendo didn't actually send them yet and they're still in their repair centre.

In hindsight, I would have been better repairing them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I have 2 left joycons in transit from Nintendo. They were fixed and I got an email saying they were sending them back on 18th December. I emailed them today asking for a tracking number and got this:

So i don't even know if they were sent on the 18th and are stuck in a warehouse somewhere, waiting to clear customs, or if Nintendo didn't actually send them yet and they're still in their repair centre.

In hindsight, I would have been better repairing them myself.

I was going to send my controllers away to be repaired before Christmas (the classic drift issue!), had the labels ready to send them and all but got an email from Nintendo asking me to put in a new request using a courier due to brexit. I'm glad I didn't go ahead with it now if this is what's happening!

Any word on them offering repairs to Ireland again does anyone know? I know Brexit is outside of their control but just not offering repairs to Ireland at all is pretty poor form for Nintendo.

I was going to send my controllers away to be repaired before Christmas (the classic drift issue!), had the labels ready to send them and all but got an email from Nintendo asking me to put in a new request using a courier due to brexit. I'm glad I didn't go ahead with it now if this is what's happening!

Any word on them offering repairs to Ireland again does anyone know? I know Brexit is outside of their control but just not offering repairs to Ireland at all is pretty poor form for Nintendo.

Well according to the quoted response from Nintendo support above they are just telling Irish customers to wait until UK is out of lockdown before any fixes will resume.

I was buying analogue replacement kits for drift on my joycons and they do work well but it is a pain taking them apart. The parts, ribbons etc are tiny. Next time I get drift I'm going to try this:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Well according to the quoted response from Nintendo support above they are just telling Irish customers to wait until UK is out of lockdown before any fixes will resume.

I was buying analogue replacement kits for drift on my joycons and they do work well but it is a pain taking them apart. The parts, ribbons etc are tiny. Next time I get drift I'm going to try this:

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my above post that there's a message on the support site saying they're not offering repairs to Ireland at all at the moment.

Emailed them and they set up the repair for me, but have to wait for them to start allowing things enter uk because of lockdown first, but I just got an order from Amazon so don’t know if a load of lark!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I had my 2 left joycons sent for repair before Christmas for drift.
    They refused to send me them until Brexit settled down.

Got onto them again this week and they said they forgot to send them back after things had settled down.
    So thats about a 2 month turnaround. Not great.

Hopefully I'll get the 2 of them this week, and they'll actually work for the foreseeable future, coz I was looking at new ones and they're around €80! Madness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Yep, Nintendo taking the piss with those Joycons.
    It'll leave a bad taste and people will take their gaming money elsewhere.

that spray is only going to give you a temporary fix

replacing the joystick is not hard once you watch a good youtube video in advance and watch it again as you go along

this is the best one that I've seen but you can actually skip one of his steps (to make it easier) as you don't need to disconnect the battery.

it's a 10 to 15 minute job

• Advertisement

that spray is only going to give you a temporary fix

replacing the joystick is not hard once you watch a good youtube video in advance and watch it again as you go along

this is the best one that I've seen but you can actually skip one of his steps (to make it easier) as you don't need to disconnect the battery.

it's a 10 to 15 minute job

I will try the spray to see how temporary it is because the repair kits are also temporary. Between 1 and 2 sticks per year for me.

I could probably do a right stick in 15 minutes. It is a lot easier. If you can do a left stick in 15 minutes you must have some sharp eye sight and quick hands. Its a proper pain in the hole.

I will try the spray to see how temporary it is because the repair kits are also temporary. Between 1 and 2 sticks per year for me.

I could probably do a right stick in 15 minutes. It is a lot easier. If you can do a left stick in 15 minutes you must have some sharp eye sight and quick hands. Its a proper pain in the hole.

you don't need to disconnect the battery or any extra ribbon cables on the left one over dong the right one

the only difference is watching the ribbon cable when taking old the joystick out

https://youtu.be/DtQlbHm6Nmg?t=320

you don't need to disconnect the battery or any extra ribbon cables on the left one over dong the right one

the only difference is watching the ribbon cable when taking old the joystick out

https://youtu.be/DtQlbHm6Nmg?t=320

So it is different. Grand so.

If you dont have the thin pointed tweezers for the left joycon you will have a bad time reconnecting 1 particular ribbon.

the ONLY ribbon you have to connect/ reconnect on either right or left joy-con is the joystick one

if you disconnected any other one you didn't have to and you only made things more difficult for yourself

Deary me. Ok lets say you only disconnect the stick ribbon on the left joycon. Its still a different layout with more components in your way. Here is the video again you just posted for the left joycon starting at 4.25

https://youtu.be/DtQlbHm6Nmg?t=265

Listen to what he says. He clearly states the left joycon is a harder fix with more components to remove and replace. Maybe he's talking rubbish.

there is no more stuff / screws than the right one

the only 1 cable you disconnect like the right one is the ribbon cable of the joystick that you're replacing and then push in the ribbon cable of the new one

the only difference is when taking out the old joystick that you have to push a ribbon cable aside (not reconnect and disconnect) in the left one which is not difficult

you mentioned reconnecting another ribbon cable which you simply don't need to disconnect in the first place

also you mentioned not having the right tweezers.

well should have bought the kit with that in it then

there is no more stuff / screws than the right one

So you've already stated. Want to say it again?

Maybe it will be true if you repeat it a few more times.

If you watch the video he removes extra screws and plates to get that ribbon moved. Maybe you can do it instantly and telepathically. Then maybe you'd be correct.

Heres a clue. You'd still be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Used a couple of sprays of isopropyl alcohol on a severely drifting left joy-con last night using the tip earlier in this thread. Now working perfectly! If I have to do this a couple of times a year or even once a month, then all good. Only took seconds.

This is after UPS collecting another left joy-con to send back to Nintendo for repair yesterday afternoon!

It will be interesting to see a) how long the Nintendo repair takes and b) how long the band-aid fix lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Deary me. Ok lets say you only disconnect the stick ribbon on the left joycon. Its still a different layout with more components in your way. Here is the video again you just posted for the left joycon starting at 4.25

https://youtu.be/DtQlbHm6Nmg?t=265

Listen to what he says. He clearly states the left joycon is a harder fix with more components to remove and replace. Maybe he's talking rubbish.

Others have said the RHS is more difficult. Anyway, it can be done without having to disconnect most of the stuff you see on the vids, the RHS can be done without disconnecting the battery and the interior casing holding one of the shoulder buttons. A tenner or so will get you 2 joysticks and the tools needed.

Do Nintendo refund the postage costs or is it prepaid?

• Advertisement

So you've already stated. Want to say it again?

Maybe it will be true if you repeat it a few more times.

If you watch the video he removes extra screws and plates to get that ribbon moved. Maybe you can do it instantly and telepathically. Then maybe you'd be correct.

Heres a clue. You'd still be wrong.

yes I did watch it again

the last joycon screw can be accessed just by moving a ribbon cable to the side out of the way so no more screws or anything else have to be taken off compared to the right one

you said that disconnected a ribbon cable that you didn't have to and didn't have the correct tools - of course that makes it needlessly more difficult :pac:

Advertisement