Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yellow rear number plate (Mod Note Post #169)

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

the_syco wrote: »
    Have seen number plates that are visible at 90° angle only. Toll cameras can't see it.

Then there's the 'camera shy' plates. Perfectly visible, but when a light is shone on them, all that can be read is 'turbo'. Haven't seen one in years, maybe it's because speed cameras don't always flash anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

McGaggs wrote: »
    Then there's the 'camera shy' plates. Perfectly visible, but when a light is shone on them, all that can be read is 'turbo'. Haven't seen one in years, maybe it's because speed cameras don't always flash anymore?
    Still have a can of that magic lacquer I bought in the RDS years ago. €5 half price, 15 mins before closing. Bargain, I thought. Never tried it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I see the new one with this crowd is to remove the front number plate and either have it on the dash or just leave it off altogether. very cheeky in my opinion, asking for trouble with the Guards.

Surprised they don't replace it with the "Stars and Bars" tbh given the level of fúckwittery involved.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I see the new one with this crowd is to remove the front number plate and either have it on the dash or just leave it off altogether. very cheeky in my opinion, asking for trouble with the Guards.

The law just says it has to be fixed to the front and back but doesn't say it has to be on the bumper. However, most of these lads don't have the "fixed" on their dash so still breaking the law.

TBH, even those who sell cars are breaking the law by putting their garage details on it:
    - The registration number, which consists of numbers and letters, must be in black on a white reflective background
    - The name of the county of registration must be in Irish, (for example, Baile Átha Cliath)
    - The EU flag and the letters "IRL" must be placed on the left-hand side of the plate. The flag shows 12 gold stars in a circle, with the letters "IRL" in white underneath it, all on a blue reflective background.
    - No other numbers, letters, or marks, should appear on your registration plate.

Not really number plate related, but a burnt orange Qua...qus.. CASHKEYE... passed me yesterday and the entire front windscreen was reflective orange! Couldn't see a thing behind the windscreen, and it was a clear midday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The law just says it has to be fixed to the front and back but doesn't say it has to be on the bumper. However, most of these lads don't have the "fixed" on their dash so still breaking the law.

TBH, even those who sell cars are breaking the law by putting their garage details on it:

Not really number plate related, but a burnt orange Qua...qus.. CASHKEYE... passed me yesterday and the entire front windscreen was reflective orange! Couldn't see a thing behind the windscreen, and it was a clear midday!

Do you think these guys are asking for trouble with the plates on their dash?

If I was a guard, I would spot them, note the time and date then pull them a week or 2 later and see what they say, which would be oh it fell off today etc ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Haven't seen yellow plates for a while now. The Garages/dealers often had plates on the dash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

saabsaab wrote: »
    Haven't seen yellow plates for a while now. The Garages/dealers often had plates on the dash.

Trade plates.....
    They are to be fitted front and rear visible to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

BTW, who the hell is "RYANER"

Not if it's on the plate surround like it almost always is.

But every motorcycle dealer in the country will happily sell you a bike with stick-on vinyl numbers, which are illegal (and usually with the dealer name on the plate itself, too.)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Probably thousands of those plates in Letterkenny this weekend. Should have been the rally weekend but it's (rightly) cancelled. But there is an "unofficial" gathering organised. A friend passed through earlier and said the place is heaving. Even takeaways had to cancel deliveries cos the traffic was so heavy.

Donegal is a special place.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Donegal is a special place.

Very true :D

Had to go shopping today and there was lines of boy racer cars, most of them not DL regged.

Black guys... drive a car like this...

Yeah but see, white guys... they drive a car like this...

Advertisement