Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yellow rear number plate (Mod Note Post #169)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

fin12 wrote: »
    No it said DL in the middle. It was a donegal reg. I was stopped in traffic so had a load of time to look at it.

I thought it was to do with where the car is registered. White front and back = RofI registered and taxed. White front plate and yellow back plate = N. Ire. Yellow back & front = Uk ref car. Of course it also used mean speeding tickets, penalty points and parking fines were uninforcible. I think they may have a token gesture to address that now.

It helped a lit more before the ‘new’ regs and NCT rules on ‘standardised’ plates & fonts were brought in.

I usually taKe it to mean unconvictable unless a really messy incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

It's a boy racer thing - they think that it is cool. It's def not west brit thing. Most of the lads I know locally that have them are the ones that'd be singing rebel songs in the pub (when that was a thing).

Don't know if the Gardai can do anything about them other than warn the drivers that they are illegal. Think it's dealt with by Revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

FanadMan wrote: »
    It's a boy racer thing - they think that it is cool. It's def not west brit thing. Most of the lads I know locally that have them are the ones that'd be singing rebel songs in the pub (when that was a thing).

Don't know if the Gardai can do anything about them other than warn the drivers that they are illegal. Think it's dealt with by Revenue.

Fcpn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

I thought it was to do with where the car is registered. White front and back = RofI registered and taxed. White front plate and yellow back plate = N. Ire. Yellow back & front = Uk ref car. Of course it also used mean speeding tickets, penalty points and parking fines were uninforcible. I think they may have a token gesture to address that now.

It helped a lit more before the ‘new’ regs and NCT rules on ‘standardised’ plates & fonts were brought in.

I usually taKe it to mean unconvictable unless a really messy incident.

GB is white front and yellow rear, same as NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Also UK plates must have a garage or point of sale on them.

You learn something new every day! Had it down as advertising, what's the real reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Why do people change their rear number plates to yellow ones? Irish cars with say a DL reg but its yellow. The white plates look better so why change them? do they want to be British or what is the story?

.....yes im sure they would just love to pledge allegiance to the Queen tomorrow. Such an obvious giveaway when they have a yellow number plate with an Irish Reg. *sarcasm*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    .....yes im sure they would just love to pledge allegiance to the Queen tomorrow. Such an obvious giveaway when they have a yellow number plate with an Irish Reg. *sarcasm*

Well if u live in the republic, you are supposed to have an Irish reg on your vehicle so might just come down to that. Doesn’t mean they don’t consider themselves British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Soup slurpers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I've seen loads of them. Usually youngfellas in a ****box jetta with some cringworthy stickers on the back windscreen, lowered as low as it could possibly go, super bright and out of focus HID kit lights, tinted windows darker than night and them driving around with a hood up thinking they're harder than a quarry..

Sounds like me when I was younger except it was a van and I didn't bother with the stickers. Still actually have the CB radio and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Except nobody’s ever been fined €5000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭pgj2015

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Except nobody’s ever been fined €5000

it would be funny if they were though.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

cml387 wrote: »
    I think the German plates are designed to be more easily read by speed cameras. The bit missing from the 0 is designed to distinguish it from an O.

In Ireland the only place there'll be an O, it would be impossible to confuse it with a 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yellow Irish rear plates and faux German plates make it easier to identify knobends on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

GT89 wrote: »
    What's with people in general putting hideous looking modified reg plates on cars. Should be illegal imo to have a reg plate that's not in the standard font.

I thought it was illegal ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I thought it was illegal ?

You're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yellow plates. Go hand in hand with Country and western, I shot JR t-shirts and boot cut jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭ablelocks

.anon. wrote: »
    Me and my cousin used to punch each other in the arm when we'd see a car with a yellow reg. Did anyone else do that?

"Yellow reg, no return"

"Ouch, I said no return"

my kids play(ed) this, as do their friends.

thought it was just them...

You learn something new every day! Had it down as advertising, what's the real reason?

To show it's somewhat more legit as ones without a name are easier cloned and also they are by law when printing to be able to verify its ones vehicle so v5 is to be shown.

The ones without out then are easier spotted for police enforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

no seatbelts, children not in seats and phone use while driving.

I’d say 40 fines a day minimum without leaving main street.

I don’t think as a guard I’d be very popular.[/QUOTE]

No,but I'd definitely do you for unsecured children,no seatbelts and phone use while driving. All three are just moronic, unsafe and especially stupid when it concerns children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kravmaga wrote: »
    NI and UK are both on rear yellow reg plates.

3 Letters on left rear yellow plate is NI.

4 Letters on left rear yellow plate is UK.

Sorry don't want to be dick but this is not correct as NI is part of the UK.

You cannot mention UK without including NI as it's the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

So you should distinguish between NI & GB as Great Britain is mainland Britain consisting of Wales, Scotland & England and its islands.

That's why you'd see GB on British plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The NI plate is different in the same way as the Jersey or Isle of Man plates are also different. It's done for Customs and Excise purposes, as Jersey pays different rates for cars and island cars enjoy some exemptions in the UK system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Add in 3 foot "Xcite" windscreen visors with the rear yellow plate for a full house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’ve never seen southern cars with yellow plates , and I’m about 2 miles from the border!

A slight hijack - but maybe 1 more for the "You learn something..." category.

"From 2001 plates sold in England and Wales had to be provided by a supplier on the DVLA's Register of Number Plate Suppliers (RNPS) as specified in British Standard BSAU145d. The supplier needs to confirm that the customer is the registered keeper or other authorised person and verify their identity. The name and postcode of the supplier must be shown at the bottom of the plate.

Registered number plate suppliers must keep records including details of the documents produced by their customers"

So, not only can't you get your plates from Tom, Dick or Harry there will be basic checks to ensure you are entitled to purchase the plates with that particular registration mark.

A pathetic (as usual) attempt to prevent cloning number plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I was overtaken by a red VW Passat 'type' car the other day with a Southern registered KY yellow number plate :cool:

Just a plain yellow plate with no small print along the bottom. I also noticed that the font was bigger/ different to an ROI plate.

How do they get it through the NCT?

I was overtaken by a red VW Passat 'type' car the other day with a Southern registered KY yellow number plate :cool:

Just a plain yellow plate with no small print along the bottom. I also noticed that the font was bigger/ different to an ROI plate.

How do they get it through the NCT?

They just swap them out on the day, same as all the German font goons do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

They are Southern Irish Unionists who want to be part of England again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

It's a border think really. When I imported my car from the uk I must say the back yellow number plate really suited my black car. When I put in the white number plate it just didn't look the same. It's obviously a taste thing.

physioman wrote: »
    It's a border think really. When I imported my car from the uk I must say the back yellow number plate really suited my black car. When I put in the white number plate it just didn't look the same. It's obviously a taste thing.

Billy? Is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Northern proddies living in the republic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,314 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Pkiernan wrote: »
    They are Southern Irish Unionists who want to be part of England again.
    stoneill wrote: »
    Northern proddies living in the republic
    As someone who lives in a border area I have to say those type of comments belong in the conspiracy theory forum.

They just swap them out on the day, same as all the German font goons do.

Surely if they get stopped by the Gardai they get fined? or are they just willing to chance not being stopped.

Surely if get stopped by the Gardai you get fined? or are they just willing to take that chance.

Its pretty safe to say that border county Gardai don't care about road traffic offences given the type of driving commonplace there.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Its pretty safe to say that border county Gardai don't care about road traffic offences given the type of driving commonplace there.

Border county Gardai aside, what about the rest of the country?

Surely if they get stopped by the Gardai they get fined? or are they just willing to chance not being stopped.

It’s one of those things the Gardaí don’t care about and don’t enforce.

If I was a guard, I would get great satisfaction fining someone over those yellow plates. Don’t make an Irish car out to be a uk one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

If I was a guard, I would get great satisfaction fining someone over those yellow plates. Don’t make an Irish car out to be a uk one.

I'd have a word with them first and give them a chance. Unless they got awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭pgj2015

saabsaab wrote: »
    I'd have a word with them first and give them a chance. Unless they got awkward.

I would just unload on the car, fcuk them, if they want to be a gangster, that is their problem. :)

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I would just unload on the car, fcuk them, if they want to be a gangster, that is their problem. :)

Haha lol, do it on the yellow plate.....

• Advertisement

Why, you should already know you're dealing with an absolute plank.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I was thinking along those lines. Saw a van recently with a RoI reg but yellow plates the way the letters/numbers were arranged looked like a NI. I guessed that if they visit the 6 regularly they won't stand out.

It would be funny if the car was vandalised in the Republic by local fenians who thought it was a Brit car.

It would be funny if the car was vandalised in the Republic by local fenians who thought it was a Brit car.

They should just rip the yellow plate off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

There are a lot of idiots out there when it comes to numberplates.

The people who put German Federal State stickers on their numberplates are the worst.

Are they trying to trick speedcameras. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Also UK plates must have a garage or point of sale on them.

no they don't

Garages will put it on as a free advert, but if you get your own plates made up in a motor factors its blank.

I've never bothered replacing the ones on a car, but caravan and trailers? no ads.

Just noticed a follow up.... England and Wales maybe. Scotland and NI? nope.

My Car is originally scottish and had no diffs getting yellow trailer plates (with the scottish number)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭veryangryman

WHOA!

I didn't spot one post saying "YELLOW REG NO HITBACKS!" followed by some sort of thumping emoji

What is wrong with people today? I'm ready for the George Sanders long walk

• Advertisement

A slight hijack - but maybe 1 more for the "You learn something..." category.

"From 2001 plates sold in England and Wales had to be provided by a supplier on the DVLA's Register of Number Plate Suppliers (RNPS) as specified in British Standard BSAU145d. The supplier needs to confirm that the customer is the registered keeper or other authorised person and verify their identity. The name and postcode of the supplier must be shown at the bottom of the plate.

Registered number plate suppliers must keep records including details of the documents produced by their customers"

So, not only can't you get your plates from Tom, Dick or Harry there will be basic checks to ensure you are entitled to purchase the plates with that particular registration mark.

A pathetic (as usual) attempt to prevent cloning number plates.

In my experience, you couldn’t get GB plates in places like Halfords without all that proof, but Tom, Dick and Harry under the arches round the back by the railway station supplied them no problem at all for cash

WHOA!

I didn't spot one post saying "YELLOW REG NO HITBACKS!" followed by some sort of thumping emoji

What is wrong with people today? I'm ready for the George Sanders long walk

Playstation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I've never seen them go Dutch with yellow front and rear.

🙈🙉🙊

Why, you should already know you're dealing with an absolute plank.....

I always believe in giving someone a chance.

no they don't

Garages will put it on as a free advert, but if you get your own plates made up in a motor factors its blank.

I've never bothered replacing the ones on a car, but caravan and trailers? no ads.

Just noticed a follow up.... England and Wales maybe. Scotland and NI? nope.

My Car is originally scottish and had no diffs getting yellow trailer plates (with the scottish number)

Motor factors would have a name or letters on the plate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement