Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WFH with upcoming Electricity Outage

• 17-06-2021 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have been moved to WFH from initially working at the office since the start of the pandemic.

Recently received a letter from ESB that there will be an electricity outage for a full day next week due to network upgrades.

Informed employer and they have advised that I will have to take a day out of annual leave to cover this. I feel that this is unjustified as this is out of my hands and I did not enter the job as a WFH employee.

Has anybody dealt with this before or have any ideas how to approach this? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

the other option would be go to a friends house and maybe stay outside with an extension lead, or use your car to power your laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is there space in the office perhaps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

the other option would be go to a friends house and maybe stay outside with an extension lead, or use your car to power your laptop

Not sure if serious but work requires a multi screen desktop set up in a closed off area so that wouldn't work.

listermint wrote: »
    Is there space in the office perhaps ?

Happy to go into the office and asked but it remains closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

djan wrote: »

Informed employer and they have advised that I will have to take a day out of annual leave to cover this. I feel that this is unjustified as this is out of my hands and I did not enter the job as a WFH employee.

Contact the Facilities Manager of your home and explain you need a generator for the outage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The notice most likely gives details of the hours when the electricity may be off. In most cases its only off for an hour or two.

Not the employer's fault and they are simply following government guidelines.

and why not take it as a day's leave and enjoy yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭SteM

I would be telling my employer that I'd be happy to travel into the office for the day. If they can't provide you a place to work then that's on them.

You don't have an SLA in place with your electricity supplier for 24/7 uptime to your home.

silver2020 wrote: »
    The notice most likely gives details of the hours when the electricity may be off. In most cases its only off for an hour or two.

But at the same time it's not the employees fault either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

djan wrote: »
    Happy to go into the office and asked but it remains closed.

I would say that puts the onus back on your employer your current 'workplace' is non operational and they can not yet provide an alternative facility. They should then consider making alternative arrangements for you - some other location.

I really don't think you should have to take a day leave when you are available for work, but your employer has no suitable facility for you to work from.

If you were in the office and there was a power cut, they would not deduct the time from you or force you to take it as holidays.

Thanks for the responses. The interruption to services is from 9.30am to 4.30pm so covers the whole shift. Happy to work whenever it is on but due to nature of work dealing with clients its not really feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The employer is still responsible for providing a safe and effective working environment... even if it is in your own home. That is an aspect of the working from home drive that has yet to be fully appreciated. I can see working contracts having to be extensively re-drafted if WFH becomes more prominent for more people in different circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Current guidelines are WFH if possible, I think, so I'd push back on the employer to make the office available as WFH is not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

State that you are happy to go to the office or some other hub within reasonable distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Is there any of those co working hubs near you? You rent a desk for the day as needed like in the south east mainly for Dublin commuters https://newworkjunction.com/

This situation is farcical, the response from any decent employer should be -

Hi djan,

Thanks for letting us know. Can you scan in a copy of the letter and forward it to HR for their records please? Also, please contact your line manager to ensure that cover is in place for you on that day.

Regards,
    etc.

What is it about certain companies in this country, don't they realise that if you treat your staff with a bit of respect they would have a more productive workforce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Maybe check also with esb as those letters are generac. Usually they say a full day but in most cases only 2 or 3 hours...then you could take an extended lunch break

Not looking for a free day off here, unfortunately due to the nature of work the continuous risk of power going in the middle of dealing with a client is not an option. Could do something not in real-time such as emails etc. from laptop that can charge whenever possible but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Now they are getting back with 4 hours off and rest of day annual leave. Hopefully get this sorted amicably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Rent a generator with a decent sine wave output and bill the company.

Long extension lead to your office.

Wonder what the response would be if the power died because some JCB got too deep or a tipper truck got too high

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

If there is an ESB fault and you have an unplanned outage would you have to take annual leave?
    If there was no WFH and your office was without power and everyone was sent home, would you have to take leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

SteM wrote: »
    This situation is farcical, the response from any decent employer should be -

Hi djan,

Thanks for letting us know. Can you scan in a copy of the letter and forward it to HR for their records please? Also, please contact your line manager to ensure that cover is in place for you on that day.

Regards,
    etc.

What is it about certain companies in this country, don't they realise that if you treat your staff with a bit of respect they would have a more productive workforce?

It happened to me in lockdown 1, got a letter saying electricity would be out for a few hours. I told my boss I'd be unavailable for the time but would work off-line while I had battery power and use my lunch hour during the outage and then make up any lost time later in the week.

She said fine, no other questions asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have they made a change to your employment contract, to say that providing secure space with room for two monitors and guaranteed electricity supply is one of your conditions of employment?

I'd be looking for quite a pay boost to provide that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,704 ✭✭✭whippet

how about a little flexibility here ... either take an days AL or find somewhere you can set up for the day. A family member's or mate's house.

Its not normal times and unless you expect your boss to come out and generate electricity for you ... look at another option.

whippet wrote: »
    how about a little flexibility here ... either take an days AL or find somewhere you can set up for the day. A family member's or mate's house.

Its not normal times and unless you expect your boss to come out and generate electricity for you ... look at another option.

The OP is being flexible. they are willing to travel into the office. Their place of work.

How many mates would have a secure space to lend you, that's big enough for dual monitors. Not to mention the hassle of moving the monitors there and back.

This is not just a case of working anywhere with Internet access.

SteM wrote: »
    The OP is being flexible. they are willing to travel into the office. Their place of work.

It’s not being flexible if the company are adhering to government advise

As I said - take an days leave

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

And in the same way the company are not being flexible and the OP is adhering to government advice.

Also OP, I’ve had this twice in the last year, to replace electricity poles in the street. It was off from 9am until gone 18:00 both times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The company isn't adhering to government advice though.
    .they aren't providing him with an adequate place to work.

It's not his responsibility to rectify that .tbf.

It is being flexible. It's not being as flexible as you want the OP to be but that's more your issue than the OPs.

The OP said
    Have been moved to WFH from initially working at the office since the start of the pandemic.

so at the start of the pandemic they were in the office and the employer wasn't too worried about government advice then. Amazing how they're concerned about government advice when it suits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The reality is that the employer can dictate when the employee can take time off.

• Advertisement

Don't see how much more flexible one can be:

Offered change of shift, come into office and switch to offline work as much as possible.

The generator ideas and finding someone who will have a spare unused office and do the whole set up isn't realistic.

Seems like they are willing to do part time off and do half of a later shift which would coincide with the resumption of electricity service.

Interesting to see how stance changes with a bit of pushback. Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭tjhook

I'd swallow this one and take the day's leave.

But I'd be unavailable for any work outside of contracted hours from now on.

Flexibility works both ways, or neither way.

The reality is that the employer can dictate when the employee can take time off.

But they are required to consider your ability to use the time for rest and recreation.

how about a full on Workplace Commission hearing to see who is in the right or wrong?

Its surely the employee's right and the employer's right to use the workings of the state to ensure a suitable outcome?

the employer has obviously reasons why they needed to move people to WFH since the start of the pandemic .... it's not ideal for them and maybe they could have just put them all on the PUP and reopen when it all blows over.

Its one day ... for the OP have you any alternative to finding a workspace ? do you really need the two monitor set up for that single day? if you don't drive could the money you've saved on commuting in the last year go towards a taxi to bring two monitors to a friends house ? could you use a hotdesk in one of the many hubs ?

Or is it a case of ... i've no electricity, I know I can't go in to the office .. .but i'll insist on that as the only option

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

how about a full on Workplace Commission hearing to see who is in the right or wrong?

Its surely the employee's right and the employer's right to use the workings of the state to ensure a suitable outcome?

the employer has obviously reasons why they needed to move people to WFH since the start of the pandemic .... it's not ideal for them and maybe they could have just put them all on the PUP and reopen when it all blows over.

Its one day ... for the OP have you any alternative to finding a workspace ? do you really need the two monitor set up for that single day? if you don't drive could the money you've saved on commuting in the last year go towards a taxi to bring two monitors to a friends house ? could you use a hotdesk in one of the many hubs ?

Or is it a case of ... i've no electricity, I know I can't go in to the office .. .but i'll insist on that as the only option

Wow! It’s OK life will get better, honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I think its unreasonable for the employer not to accomodate you working from the office for a day.

Most of the country has accomodated employers by turning their home into an office , and on the one day it wont work for you they wont give an inch. Every good employer i know has their office open for employees with difficulty working from home, be that broadband issues, mental health issues or undisclosed issues.

I would make my case and if they dont budge i would be feeling unwell that day, maybe even that week. Mental stress dealing with employers like that can really affect your health.

Either way, i would under no circumstances take annual leave. If they wont give an inch after a year of helping them run their business from your home office then they arent worth putting yourself out over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Just to add. I got the same ESB outage for the day thingy recently.

I have a work laptop, so I just used my laptop on battery and 4g hotspot from my phone. Power was off from 9.35 - 13.30 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭ax530

Happened to me twice during pandemic. I didn't expect it would be off all day as per notice but yes it was! I had notified my employer first time I did not work. Second time I arranged to go to someone else house worked there, only had laptop and head set not my 2 big monitor's, no keyboard mouse ect.... Not as productive a day but joined customer calls as required and kept things ticking over.
    In my situation mobile network not working feeling a booster near by which is needed for my coverage was also impacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭tjhook

I replied a few posts above, but on "mature reflection" I think my response would depend on my own longer term aims.

OP, what is your feeling about WFH in the longer term? I.e. are you dying to get back to the office full time, or are you desperately hoping to be able to work from home longer term?

If you're going to be pushing to work from home, then it won't help your cause if it's been creating waves and headaches for the employer. The smoother the experience now, the more likely you'll be able to continue doing it after Covid. In this case, a sacrifice now might be wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Ask them what their policy is with a power cut in the office, should be the exact same with WFH. If they can't let you in to the office for the day or provide an alternative then it is on them, not on you to take a days annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conndeal

The employer can tell you when to take your annual leave. Under the Working Time Act I think they have to give one months notice if they are directing an employee to take annual leave.

20 (1) (b) of Working Time Act:
    The times at which annual leave is granted to an employee shall be determined by his or her employer having regard to work requirements and subject ... .... to the employer having consulted the employee or the trade union (if any) of which he or she is a member, not later than 1 month before the day on which the annual leave or, as the case may be, the portion thereof concerned is due to commence

If I was in this situation I would not make a fuss about one day but I don't think the employer would win in the Workplace Relations Commission. I was able to go into work when there was an ESB outage here. Employer just said it was fine for another family member working from home. He did not have to take annual leave and the ESB was only off for about 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Not employees responsibility to provide - employer needs to open office space or just wipe day off - not annual leave time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

Are people here nuts, taking annual leave?! :confused:

In case everyone forgot, we're under level 5 restrictions. You can't simply "go and work in your mates house", and we are not permitted to work from libraries, cafes, or any similar spaces.

You've offered to work from office, which is permitted under these restrictions. If they can't provide this then....!

I'm blown away that any company wouldn't immediately just say not to worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Reading threads like this reminds me why I got out of people management, it's comical how entitled some of the responses are, they are offering take half day annual leave and they give half day off, that sounds like a good enough deal and a fair compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Employer probably should have said, can you work in the hour in lieu spreading over the rest of the week.

No feelings get hurt between employer and employee, work gets done, employee aren't as pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

floorpie wrote: »
    Are people here nuts, taking annual leave?! :confused:

In case everyone forgot, we're under level 5 restrictions. You can't simply "go and work in your mates house", and we are not permitted to work from libraries, cafes, or any similar spaces.

You've offered to work from office, which is permitted under these restrictions. If they can't provide this then....!

I'm blown away that any company wouldn't immediately just say not to worry about it!

In fairness there is only a couple of people saying to just suck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

floorpie wrote: »

In case everyone forgot, we're under level 5 restrictions.

I suggest you move your watch forward by a few weeks to the present day.

Level 5 is long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If it were me, I wouldn't have informed the employer in advance. I'd see what the day brings & wing it...

/braces self for onslaught

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yep, have had a couple of notified outages over the last year.Work's attitude was don't waste annual leave on it, do what you can around the outage and make it up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

I suggest you move your watch forward by a few weeks to the present day.

Level 5 is long gone.

As far as I'm aware we're under a more relaxed level 5. Although this makes the level system superfluous and farcical, it is the reason why offices, libraries, coworking spaces and so on still can't open up fully. So under current restrictions, this employee can't take any suggestions in the thread for alternative work arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭daheff

Call in sick for the day?

• Advertisement
Advertisement