Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbey Creative Quarter Unveiled

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    They also holding a Part 8 consultation to make Vicar Street a street one way for vehicular traffic;

https://consult.kilkenny.ie/en/consultation/vicar-street-improvement-development

While I fully agree that Vicar Street should be one way, they are making it one way in the wrong direction!

It should be one way outbound, not inbound.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Honestly, I could never see this employing the claimed number.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cabaal wrote: »

They usually throw in random numbers like the builders who are temporary and staff that work there a few days a year. I remember reading about a place I worked in having 300 staff, it was way off the mark but then they had a reserve staff that they'd call for the few days of the year it got really busy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think the site should have been completely sold off to the private sector and developed with the usual planning caveats- I don’t get what Kilkenny council add apart from costs to the whole thing. These people create bureaucracy not jobs.
    I do fear it could be a white elephant in the context of WFH arrangements especially in the context of the coronavirus situation. Big offices with lots of people together are very much out of fashion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

road_high wrote: »
    I think the site should have been completely sold off to the private sector and developed with the usual planning caveats- I don’t get what Kilkenny council add apart from costs to the whole thing. These people create bureaucracy not jobs.
    I do fear it could be a white elephant in the context of WFH arrangements especially in the context of the coronavirus situation. Big offices with lots of people together are very much out of fashion

I agree with you on lots of people crammed in, but there will always be a demand for office space. Business thrives on people meeting and working together. It won’t go back the way it is, but possibly a happy medium.
    With the lack of office space in KK, I would expect these to be in demand if they are finished well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Presumably the 500 jobs are based in the Brewhouse which is 4,500m2, enough to accommodate 500 people. It is currently being advertised and stated as due for completion in Q2 2021;

https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/brewhouse-abbey-quarter-co-kilkenny/4091215

The other initial phases are described here;

https://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Planning/Abbey-Quarter-Brewery-site/Abbey-Quarter-Public-Realm-Funding-Details.html

I think it is an extremely exciting project for Kilkenny and the new public space along the river, plaza and pedestrian/cyclist street will be great additions. They are doing it the right thing, putting the infrastructure and public spaces in place first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Surely the smart thing to do is pitch the office spaces as remote hubs for people working in Dublin or elsewhere but living in Kilkenny. Everyone I know WFH has grown very tired of it at this stage.

No idea how that works from a running cost point of view to be fair

Surely the smart thing to do is pitch the office spaces as remote hubs for people working in Dublin or elsewhere but living in Kilkenny. Everyone I know WFH has grown very tired of it at this stage.

No idea how that works from a running cost point of view to be fair

It probably depends on what sort of interest they are getting in the office space. If they feel they won't be able to find tenant(s) all of it, that would be a good alternative use all right.

Tender out for some demolition works on this site

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/188286/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE
    Detailed description:
    The project comprises of the demolition of approx. 1,000sq.m. single storey former maturation building on the Abbey Quarter site, Horse Barrack Lane, Parliament Street, Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It looks like the walk from the market yard to the skatepark is nearly complete. Does anyone know if it will open soon?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

New Work Junction already do hot desk stuff for people to work from rather then commute, how dodgy is it for the county council to start a business tghat could steal business away from new work junction?

WFH isn't for everyone, I've been doing it for far longer then most and it has its downsides but it also has lots of positives. One very important thing you must do is always get dressed right etc. Very important for your mental state,

Also, setup a proper office, don't work on the kitchen table.

New Work Junction already do hot desk stuff for people to work from rather then commute, how dodgy is it for the county council to start a business tghat could steal business away from new work junction?

WFH isn't for everyone, I've been doing it for far longer then most and it has its downsides but it also has lots of positives. One very important thing you must do is always get dressed right etc. Very important for your mental state,

Also, setup a proper office, don't work on the kitchen table.

There's another one over in Purcell's Inch also. I have a home office which has turned into a dump and laundry room :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

New Work Junction already do hot desk stuff for people to work from rather then commute, how dodgy is it for the county council to start a business that could steal business away from new work junction?

New Work Junction are not accepting any new clients, maybe in the future but not now. I tried them.

I don't think it's dodgy at all, New Work Junction isn't a charity they charge €26 per day monthly rates vary so it's a business and I can't imagine the new centre being any cheaper.

I welcome the competition plenty in Dublin that compete with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    New Work Junction are not accepting any new clients, maybe in the future but not now. I tried them.

I don't think it's dodgy at all, New Work Junction isn't a charity they charge €26 per day monthly rates vary so it's a business and I can't imagine the new centre being any cheaper.

I welcome the competition plenty in Dublin that compete with each other.

That’s good for him- seemed like a bit of a slow burner but I’d say Covid was good for him as people commuting to office jobs in Dublin can wfh more now and not all have the facilities at hime to work properly from

Advertisement