Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE waiting lists

Options
  • 09-05-2014 6:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Hospital consultants are paid per hour. Perhaps it would be better to pay them per surgical procedure. Rwanda uses this system and they can run a good health service for eleven million people for a fraction of what is costs here. This is also the way the doctors have the incentive to do more and this will eventually clear the waiting lists. It would be like the private sector were running the hospitals, - all nice and efficient with no waste.

Either that or just privatize the hospitals. Health is too important to be left to the state. The nation would starve if it relied on them for food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really.
    Your suggesting we base our healthcare on the systems in Rwanda ?

So you pay per procedure, and people will rush procedures, rushing procedures would be disastrous.

I know when I'm under the knife I want the lad to take his time and not be thinking that if he hurries up he could squeeze in a few more procedures before lunch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Rwanda uses this system and they can run a good health service for eleven million people for a fraction of what is costs here.
    If I were sick, I would much rather be treated in Ireland than Rwanda. The World Health Organisation ranks the world's health systems from 1 (best) to 190 (worst) by nations. Ireland ranks 19, the USA 37, and Rwanda ranks 172 (18th from the bottom of the list).

If I were being born, I would much rather be in Ireland than Rwanda. The World Fact Book ranks nations by deaths per 1000 live births from 1 (highest deaths) to 224 (lowest deaths). Ireland ranks 202 with only 3.74 deaths, USA ranks 169 with 6.17 deaths, and Rwanda ranks 23 with 59.59 deaths. Rwanda is only 23rd from the highest deaths per 1000, and roughly 16 times more deaths per live births than Ireland.

If I were giving birth to a child, I would much rather do so in Ireland than Rwanda. For 2013 WHO reported the proportion of deaths among women of reproductive age that were due to maternal causes as only 0.9% for Ireland, 1.5% for USA, but 13.6% for Rwanda. Maternal mortality in Rwanda was roughly 15 times higher than in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

_Brian wrote: »
    So you pay per procedure, and people will rush procedures, rushing procedures would be disastrous.

So you are saying surgeons would rush their work to get more money thereby abandoning their Hippocratic oath? I don`t think so. Certainly they would be motivated to do more but that is far better than not being motivated to do anything. At present they just sit back, get paid and squeeze in the odd surgical procedure between rounds of golf. Surgeons who work more accumulate more experience and competence just like Ryanair pilots. Ryanair has never had a plane crash unlike Air Lingus which is a far smaller airline. So hard work would be good for the surgeons, the patients as well as the taxpayer. Granted some Irish consultants may be afraid of hard work but they could apply for jobs in some other country.

Black Swan wrote: »
    If I were sick, I would much rather be treated in Ireland than Rwanda. The World Health Organisation ranks the world's health systems from 1 (best) to 190 (worst) by nations. Ireland ranks 19, the USA 37, and Rwanda ranks 172 (18th from the bottom of the list).

If I were being born, I would much rather be in Ireland than Rwanda. The World Fact Book ranks nations by deaths per 1000 live births from 1 (highest deaths) to 224 (lowest deaths). Ireland ranks 202 with only 3.74 deaths, USA ranks 169 with 6.17 deaths, and Rwanda ranks 23 with 59.59 deaths. Rwanda is only 23rd from the highest deaths per 1000, and roughly 16 times more deaths per live births than Ireland.

If I were giving birth to a child, I would much rather do so in Ireland than Rwanda. For 2013 WHO reported the proportion of deaths among women of reproductive age that were due to maternal causes as only 0.9% for Ireland, 1.5% for USA, but 13.6% for Rwanda. Maternal mortality in Rwanda was roughly 15 times higher than in Ireland.

All this may be true but if you watch the trend in these statistics over the coming years you will probably find that Rwanda will improve. Ireland will not dis-improve until economic reality makes the present system unsustainable, that will likely be within five years. The plan for compulsory health insurance will not necessarily bring efficiency. It will punish people who look after their health while rewarding the smoker, the drinker and the couch potato. The unhealthy will be effectively subsided by healthy people who are forced to pay health insurance whether they want to or not. One wonders if Minister Reilly were a healthy weight would he be doing this to the non obese.

Also, I would be inclined to take WHO statistics with a (very small) pinch of salt. Like the rating agencies which gave Ireland a AAA rating just before the crash, the WHO may be somewhat influenced by historical variants which is understandable but can be misleading.

As a developing country, Rwanda has more home births. Fuel and transport costs are very high and infrastructure is similar to the Ireland of the 1920s so it is not always possible for women to avail of a hospital for giving birth. The idea of paying consultants per procedure is not the reason behind the WHO ratings and it is a good idea in and of itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I for one am all for a Rwandan-style healthcare system

We could learn a lot from the country generally :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

So you are saying surgeons would rush their work to get more money thereby abandoning their Hippocratic oath? I don`t think so. Certainly they would be motivated to do more but that is far better than not being motivated to do anything. At present they just sit back, get paid and squeeze in the odd surgical procedure between rounds of golf. Surgeons who work more accumulate more experience and competence just like Ryanair pilots. Ryanair has never had a plane crash unlike Air Lingus which is a far smaller airline. So hard work would be good for the surgeons, the patients as well as the taxpayer. Granted some Irish consultants may be afraid of hard work but they could apply for jobs in some other country.

The last time Air Lingus had a crash (1986) Ryanair was less than 6 months in operation. I don't necessarily want my surgeons working hard, I want him/her working smart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

chopper6 wrote: »

We could learn a lot from the country generally :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Such a blind insular attitude is crippling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The health system is more that surgical procedure, how do you propose to pay other doctor and health care workers who don't do actual procedures in there work.

robp wrote: »
    Such a blind insular attitude is crippling.

Correct...but not as blinding as being struck across the face with a machete because of where you're from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

mariaalice wrote: »
    The health system is more that surgical procedure, how do you propose to pay other doctor and health care workers who don't do actual procedures in there work.

Reasonable point. I guess it would only work with consultants but currently consultants are one of the major bottle necks.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Correct...but not as blinding as being struck across the face with a machete because of where you're from.
    There is many things we can learn and borrow from developing countries especially those in Africa.

• Advertisement

robp wrote: »

There is many things we can learn and borrow from developing countries especially those in Africa.

Do tell...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

All this may be true but if you watch the trend in these statistics over the coming years you will probably find that Rwanda will improve.
    Given that the health care infrastructure had collapsed for all practical purposes during the Rwanda 1994 genocide (approximately 800,000 Tutsi and Hutu deaths), starting from almost zero to present should show substantial improvements with the implementation of universal health insurance in that nation.
    Also, I would be inclined to take WHO statistics with a (very small) pinch of salt.
    Caution should also be exercised when reviewing Rwanda's health care claims when criticism of the ruling Paul Kagame regime have been reported to have severe consequences for journalists and dissidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭medicine12345

What are you talking about? I'm afraid you are misinformed.
    ''They just sit back, get paid'' ''afraid of hard work'' GET REAL!!
    You have no idea how hard surgeons work, these are the people working the 100+ hour weeks for 15+ years in order to qualify as surgeons and then working long hours with unreal pressure after that. Trust me, if someone is 'afraid of hard work', surgery is the last thing in the world they would do.

And your idea is ridiculous, obviously some operations take longer than others - some take 15 mins some take 6 hours, some are more complex, some take several people, etc. Plus a large part of a surgeons work is in clinics, meeting patients and assessing if they're suitable for surgery, following up, etc.

Black Swan wrote: »
    Caution should also be exercised when reviewing Rwanda's health care claims when criticism of the ruling Paul Kagame regime have been reported to have severe consequences for journalists and dissidents.

To understand where these reports come from and the motivation behind them, I recommend a book called A Thousand Hills by Steven Kinzer. (It is also worth reading Dead Aid by Dambisa Moya).

You have no idea how hard surgeons work, these are the people working the 100+ hour weeks ...

some operations take longer than others - some take 15 mins some take 6 hours, some are more complex, some take several people, etc. Plus a large part of a surgeons work is in clinics, meeting patients and assessing if they're suitable for surgery, following up, etc.

Junior doctors work ridiculous hours but that is a different matter. This thread pertains to surgical consultants. I`m not sure what point you are making when you say some procedures take longer than others. MacDonalds have a price for a big Mac and another price for a chicken MacNugget ... pricing a product is not rocket science.

Your final point about surgeons meeting patients etc - I know all about that. Last week I took a day off from work to keep an appointment and I was told the purpose of the appointment was to appoint a date for the next appointment. That was the inspiration behind this thread. Paying by procedure performed will cut out all the nonsense.

Humans are not machines and no two patients are the same. The same operation can take very different times depending on the health status of the patient, comorbidities, etc.
    As for your second point, would you prefer patients to get unnecessary operations to cut down on other appointments as they only get paid for ops?
    the surgeons squeeze as much operations as they can into the time available. It is not the doctors that need fixing, its the system thats broken. Why should it be up to the doctors to organise the waiting lists when they're doing as much as they can. There are 1.3 nonhealthcare workers per health care worker in the hse. Surely it must be one of these peoples jobs to organise the resources better...

And the majority of routine surgerys are done by the 'junior doctors' in combination with the 'consultant surgeon' or under his/her observation, so it is not a separate issue. .

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lyda

Hospital consultants are paid per hour. Perhaps it would be better to pay them per surgical procedure. Rwanda uses this system and they can run a good health service for eleven million people for a fraction of what is costs here. This is also the way the doctors have the incentive to do more and this will eventually clear the waiting lists. It would be like the private sector were running the hospitals, - all nice and efficient with no waste.

Either that or just privatize the hospitals. Health is too important to be left to the state. The nation would starve if it relied on them for food.

Private health systems are less efficient. The US spends much more per person and gets worse outcomes.

lyda wrote: »
    Private health systems are less efficient. The US spends much more per person and gets worse outcomes.
    If you are referring to pre Obama-care you are wrong on both counts. The US government spent very little on health care because it was mostly private and the hospitals and care were fantastic. It is probably still very good because Obama care has not been around long enough to destroy it.

Humans are not machines and no two patients are the same. The same operation can take very different times depending on the health status of the patient, comorbidities, etc.
    As for your second point, would you prefer patients to get unnecessary operations to cut down on other appointments as they only get paid for ops?
    the surgeons squeeze as much operations as they can into the time available. It is not the doctors that need fixing, its the system thats broken. Why should it be up to the doctors to organise the waiting lists when they're doing as much as they can. There are 1.3 nonhealthcare workers per health care worker in the hse. Surely it must be one of these peoples jobs to organise the resources better...

Despite the fact that humans are not machines and patients/operations differ from case to case - a fixed price should nonetheless be set per procedure. Think of it this way, suppose I paid someone to mow the lawn and I agreed to pay them per hour - the job might never get done if they spent enough time scratching their behinds instead of cutting the lawn. Meanwhile the clock is ticking and it is costing me money every hour. Alternatively, we could agree a price to be paid after the lawn has been cut. No doubt the lawn mower could break or lightening could strike but that is the chance you take if you want the job.

Assuming Hannibal Lechter is not in the surgery I see no reason why a patient would get an unnecessary operation. A surgeon could make a million appointments with every patient if he wants to but he should only get paid per operation. As for squeezing a lot of operations into an allotted time - such practice would be unlikely as the surgeon risks his career if he makes a mistake and besides such malpractice can easily be contained by simple rules. In any case, there are cancer patients on waiting lists - perhaps it wouldn`t be so terrible if consultants were motivated to do more operations thereby shortening the time people have to wait.

The way to fix the system is to pay surgeons per procedure. This will free them to do less if they choose while providing an incentive for them to do more, so everyone is a winner :)

I said nothing about "organizing" waiting lists so that addresses that concern. Besides, the waiting lists will be eliminated as the surgeons will have the motivation they need to carry out more procedures. Then the surgeons can compete for patients and what could be better for the patients than a little competition.

If junior doctors assist in operations then they do so irrespective of whether their senior counterparts are paid per procedure or per hour, so no changes there.

I understand why consultants cherish their hourly pay but they should also understand that the taxpayers cherish the money they are forced to pay to prop up the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

There is already pay per surgery, in the private sector. If you want it, go and use it. Consultants in the public sector don´t get paid by the hour, they are salaried.

As you will realise, the cost increases a lot when it is pay per surgery. Also, 95% of healthcare is not surgery. Most healthcare is in primary care.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If you are referring to pre Obama-care you are wrong on both counts. The US government spent very little on health care because it was mostly private and the hospitals and care were fantastic. It is probably still very good because Obama care has not been around long enough to destroy it.

The US is by far and away the highest spender on hc in the world.

It's approaching 17% of GDP there, about double the UK spending.

The US get very bad value for money for such huge health expenditure.

dissed doc wrote: »
    There is already pay per surgery, in the private sector. If you want it, go and use it. Consultants in the public sector don´t get paid by the hour, they are salaried.

As you will realise, the cost increases a lot when it is pay per surgery. Also, 95% of healthcare is not surgery. Most healthcare is in primary care.
    What I want is to not be ripped off on my taxes by supporting a great white elephant. You say costs increase a lot when when it is pay by surgery and yet the private hospitals still manage to make a profit. It is strange that these profit orientated enterprises would choose the costlier of the two options. I wonder why.

If I sound skeptical it`s because I am. Have you ever listened to politicians trying to justify expenditure? If so you may have heard them say something like "I didn`t use this money, I used that money." Of course tax revenue is collected, pooled and decanted all from the same trough so they evidently think the public are stupid and perhaps with some justification.

I am also impressed by the number a red herrings in the mix. First junior doctors, now primary care. This thread pertains to hospital consultants and again I say they should be paid per procedure. If that costs more then I`m sure they`ll have no objection.

Geuze wrote: »

The US is by far and away the highest spender on hc in the world.

It's approaching 17% of GDP there, about double the UK spending.

The US get very bad value for money for such huge health expenditure.
    17% is not that high relative to some other countries. I may be completely wrong but I think at one point Ireland was spending something like 40 billion per year which was over 50%. As I say I am probably wrong about that but while 17% is too much it is a lot lower than the proportion of GDP some other countries spend.

I wonder will this marvelous system apply when the regions are granted autonomy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

17% is not that high relative to some other countries. I may be completely wrong but I think at one point Ireland was spending something like 40 billion per year which was over 50%. As I say I am probably wrong about that but while 17% is too much it is a lot lower than the proportion of GDP some other countries spend.

The most cursory of Google searches tell me it's 11% currently. Tell me did you bother to actually investigate or research any of your figures before you started this thread?

The most cursory of Google searches tell me it's 11% currently. Tell me did you bother to actually investigate or research any of your figures before you started this thread?
    The thread proposed an idea. Now don`t you feel foolish?

The ERSI recommend the use of GNP in Ireland`s case so that blows your 11% out of the water and into the stratosphere.

The thread proposed an idea. Now don`t you feel foolish?

The ERSI recommend the use of GNP in Ireland`s case so that blows your 11% out of the water and into the stratosphere.

He said he did a very quick google search.

You seem to be having some sort of seizure.

Assuming Hannibal Lechter is not in the surgery I see no reason why a patient would get an unnecessary operation. A surgeon could make a million appointments with every patient if he wants to but he should only get paid per operation. As for squeezing a lot of operations into an allotted time - such practice would be unlikely as the surgeon risks his career if he makes a mistake and besides such malpractice can easily be contained by simple rules. In any case, there are cancer patients on waiting lists - perhaps it wouldn`t be so terrible if consultants were motivated to do more operations thereby shortening the time people have to wait.

The way to fix the system is to pay surgeons per procedure. This will free them to do less if they choose while providing an incentive for them to do more, so everyone is a winner :)

I said nothing about "organizing" waiting lists so that addresses that concern. Besides, the waiting lists will be eliminated as the surgeons will have the motivation they need to carry out more procedures. Then the surgeons can compete for patients and what could be better for the patients than a little competition.

do you not think that surgeons don't already try to do as many surgerys as they can in the time available, shur if they were to put off doing one this week, its just an extra one to do next week. Do you think they like telling patients that need operations that they will have to wait a few months??? Its really frustrating!!
    As another poster pointed out they get paid an annual salary so its not as if they are dragging out each day, they have nothing to gain by having these lists.
    If this provided greater motivation to do more operations and the lists were reduced, where would the money come to pay them, the system is already in massive debt obviously...

• Advertisement

What I want is to not be ripped off on my taxes by supporting a great white elephant. You say costs increase a lot when when it is pay by surgery and yet the private hospitals still manage to make a profit. It is strange that these profit orientated enterprises would choose the costlier of the two options. I wonder why.

Of course private hospitals make a profit, the whole point is that people are willing to pay big money (or pay high insurance) in order to 'skip the queues'. And anyway aren't surgeons their own boss in these hospitals, just operating out of them so they can operate on who they like and charge what they want??

Advertisement