Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who's the canditate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

mikehn wrote: »
    Woman tears up election leaflet-fined €150[URL="http://"][/URL]

Woman fined for littering - what's to discuss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

While i hate litterbugs, it was pretty low of him/her to report it when he/she was littering her hallway. She needs to let it go to court to see if they have the courage to stand up in public.
    (Does the litter warden/council even have the right to take the word of a sulky political candidate against a member of the public? or is this another case of abuse of power?)

A Mullingar mother of three young children who tore up election literature in front of a local politician has been hit with a litter fine of €150 after the candidate in question reported her to the local Council.
    Michelle Byrne (32) said: “….. The candidate pushed the leaflet through the letterbox and I pushed it back out. He then proceeded to push the leaflet through the letterbox again.I opened the door and told him I didn’t want any election material…and I proceeded to tear up the leaflet.” As the candidate left, Ms. Byrne picked up the pieces of paper and put them into the rubbish bin outside her residence….”
    The next morning she was notified by registered post of a €150 fine...

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/05/07/anything-bizarre-in-the-westmeath-topic/

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

How can you litter your own home or even your own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Surprise, surprise, he was doing it on behalf of the residents, apparently, he "got two calls".

" I didn’t act on my own volition. I acted on behalf of the residents.

I reported her directly to Westmeath County Council. The residents rang me. I got two calls. I’ve nothing personal against her."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Again, how can somebody be done for littering their own house?
    And i call bull on that two other resident rang him to tell him that she littered.
    Poor lie by a spiteful politician!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I know I would never vote for someone with such an obvious lack of control of their emotions. He was personally insulted/hurt by her actions and wanted to get back at her. What a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

He just dropped off my ballot. Well done, Gerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

In fairness, he was probably standing up for what he believed in and decided it best to conserve the paper space on the ballot sheet!
    A true eco-warrior!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Phoebas wrote: »
    Woman fined for littering - what's to discuss?
    This man effectively knowingly littered her house. He is an utter disgrace.
    floydmoon1 wrote: »
    How can you litter your own home or even your own property.
    Besides that I am wondering how the council even sent a fine? can I just go to the council and claim I saw someone littering? with only my word to go by?

He ended up paying, but the damage is done already, bizarre what these candidates get up to.
    http://www.theliberal.ie/local-election-candidate-offers-to-pay-fine/
    Mr Sheridan has since made a statement in relation to the incident in which he says. “Circumstances surrounding an incident in which I was involved while canvassing recently in Fair Green Columb Drive Estate in Mullingar have been a matter of some public discussion in recent days.
    “There are particular sensitivities in this case, and for this reason, I decided to pay the fine that arose from the incident, myself. Payment was made to Westmeath County Council on Thursday the 8th.
    “The Residents of Columb Drive have advised me that they will not tolerate littering or illegal dumping of any kind on their estate. I will continue to represent the Residents on this issue and other issues as I have continuously carried out for the past five years.
    “I now wish to focus all my attention on my campaign to win a seat on Westmeath County Council in the Mullingar/ Kilbeggan Electoral Area, and for that reason, I will not be making any further comments on this matter.”
    http://www.theliberal.ie/local-election-candidate-offers-to-pay-fine/

I hope he has detailed records & photos of all his own posters and clearly identified cable ties, as any responsible candidate should have. I would say loads of locals will be out to do him for littering after this election when the littering act can then be enforced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement