Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new Rotten Boroughs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Foghladh wrote: »
    So basically the story is that a local politician has paid to have some signs erected. Out of his own salary. In some circles that might be seen as a good thing.

Some TDs are announcing that they are not retaining their full salary, yet there is no transparency as they still get a full pay packet and one likes to keep his donations "quiet".

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

MadsL wrote: »
    Some TDs are announcing that they are not retaining their full salary, yet there is no transparency as they still get a full pay packet and one likes to keep his donations "quiet".

I kind of find it hard to feel offended by that if I'm honest. So you think your salary is too high and you plug it back into the local authority. Bully for you. Would I do it? Not a hope but then my job doesn't depend on the perception of my neighbours.

Would it be more acceptable to you if he had just pocketed the money? Surely the issue should be that if a few TD's feel that they can live on their salaries and still donate then the other 150 or so might also do so.

Foghladh wrote: »
    I kind of find it hard to feel offended by that if I'm honest. So you think your salary is too high and you plug it back into the local authority. Bully for you. Would I do it? Not a hope but then my job doesn't depend on the perception of my neighbours.

Would it be more acceptable to you if he had just pocketed the money? Surely the issue should be that if a few TD's feel that they can live on their salaries and still donate then the other 150 or so might also do so.

As I have said my issue is not with the cut, nor the donations, it is the attendant publicity and lack of transparency. One-up-manship without any real evidence of your acts or deeds if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

50 community groups to benefit from Mayor's paycut http://thelooneyleft.blogspot.ie/2013/12/50-community-groups-to-benefit-from.html
    My colleague, Deputy Mayor Eamon Tuffy, joined me in this and together we launched the "Mayors Fund" back in September. In total, we have allocated €10,000 for this fund.

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=27293
    Applications will be considered by an independent panel selected by the Community Services Department

this is from his expesne not his salary i think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

I propose we end once and for all the tactic of vote buying by declaring that you are not taking your TD's salary.

http://www.thejournal.ie/brendan-griffin-kerry-fybough-national-school-499297-Jun2012/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2157052/Sinn-F-barely-leave-wages-make-TD-Sandra-McLellan-says-partys-pay-policy-deter-candidates.html

I believe Luke Ming Flanagan 's 'schemes' are disingenuous in the extreme, he is professing to be overpaid, then rather than return the money to State coffers to pay for things, Flanagan gets to splash the cash - €9,000 to Boyle town council to buy 21 new road signs.

I consider this cheap, vote buying publicity, at the taxpayers expense. Cost to Ming €0 as he has already 'pledged' to only take 50% of his salary. It's a cheap and dubious tactic to buy re-election. I'm astonished that it is permitted under parliamentary rules.

Anyway, I believe this "My money, I'll decide where it is spent" attitude should not be permitted for public representatives as it distorts both democracy and transparency in public office. It is not the TD's money, it is public funds give in exchange for public service. If they are not required they should be returned to the Exchequer.

all credit to Ming he could have lied (like they all do to get in) and keot the money to be spent on trips to/fro Holland or on his wife and children but instead has pumped thousands into the local area like he promised. I am slowly hating the long haired hippy freak but your post is non-sense

• Advertisement

all credit to Ming he could have lied (like they all do to get in) and keot the money to be spent on trips to/fro Holland or on his wife and children but instead has pumped thousands into the local area like he promised. I am slowly hating the long haired hippy freak but your post is non-sense

I guess I just believe in transparency. I don't think that's nonsense.

what do you mean by transparency madsl?
    what's not transparent about it, not sure if that's the word, there's related word for it.

its more about if politicians want to do something they should do it through the powers they have rather then through their wallet

councillor, lets see what you do with your very limited powers impress me.

what do you mean by transparency madsl?
    what's not transparent about it, not sure if that's the word, there related word for it.

its more about if politicians want to do something they should do it through the powers they have rather then through their wallet

councillor, lets see what you do with your very limited powers impress me.

My point is that publicly paid public representatives should be transparent about what they do with money that is publicly provided to them if they are spending that money on public projects.

My point is that publicly paid public representatives should be transparent about what they do with money that is publicly provided to them if they are spending that money on public projects.

oh yeah i was returning to the discussion, we were talking about ming paying for signage I forgot that he didnt say what he did with the rest of the money he said he'd use in the area.

dermot looney is going the self promotion route https://twitter.com/dlooney don't know if I prefer that.

alot of local election candidates are doing this now saying they'll use their expenses for local community groups (which is not something they can do unilaterally) or even use their potential councillors salary for local groups from 20% to all of it!

to me this is tantamount to a bribe, vote for me and I'll give you money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

alot of local election candidates are doing this now saying they'll use their expenses for local community groups (which is not something they can do unilaterally) or even use their potential councillors salary for local groups from 20% to all of it!

to me this is tantamount to a bribe, vote for me and I'll give you money

Hmmmm, interesting. Just did a quick search there and he's been living off this (numerous articles about him; from him or him commenting in the comments). He's elected Mayor summer just gone, based on being Labour; September gives 7k + another 3k from the Deputy Mayor = 10k used for 50 local groups @€;200 per group = how many voters??, and within months of the aforementioned jumps ship with the elections coming up. Clever.

To me, this is tantamount to investing in his career, had have only gotten 1 year PT of an MBA with that 7k. Pretty good return if he's re-elected.

still now you have the government announcing all sorts of things before the election

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

If anyone wants to see a rotten borough in action, the following program illustrates it wonderfully.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv6tp3_blackadder-season-03-episode-01-dish-and-dishonesty_shortfilms

Enjoy.

and we have pat gallagher whos says he gives something either 20k or 70k of pensions a year to chartiies and worth causes, individuals and families??? all potential voters, none of declared
    http://www.patthecope.com/other-information.html
    http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/30082-Ministerial-pensions-cost-%C2%808-8m-a-year

Advertisement