Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move Dublin port.

Options
  • 25-02-2020 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hearing this topic spoke about a bit lately.

In theory it is very Interesting. Build a modern city there, and then we can leave "old dublin" alone and untouched.

I'd be interested in hearing peoples opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Stan27 wrote: »
    Hearing this topic spoke about a bit lately.

In theory it is very Interesting. Build a modern city there, and then we can leave "old dublin" alone and untouched.

I'd be interested in hearing peoples opinions.

Of course it would be a great, prudent and logical thing to do.

But Ireland doesn't operate that way.

If you built a nice planned modern city there with a nice mix of hotels, office towers and accomodation for office workers, linked up with public transport youd upset a whole rabble of landlords, unions, people who would suddenly be in negative equity and of course the economically inactive types who'd want 50/50 social housing. You still have an Taisce demanding everything be 6 stories lest it block the view of the poolbeg chimnies from Phibsborough.

I wish I was wrong on that but I doubt I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I wonder what the cost of relocating the port would be and then how much could be pocketed from the sale of the land. Serious money I reckon , if you filled in the tolka estuary as proposed by Harry Crosby’s recently. And also redeveloped east wall business park and include the Irish glass bottle site, you can house hundreds of thousands !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I wonder what the cost of relocating the port would be and then how much could be pocketed from the sale of the land. Serious money I reckon , if you filled in the tolls estuary as proposed by Harry Crosby’s recently. And also redeveloped east wall business park and include the Irish glass bottle site, you can house hundreds of thousands !

If by filled in the tolls estuary you mean the river Liffey is be interested in Crosby's plan to fill in the mouth of a large river.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

David mcwilliams has been talking about it for a long time, interesting idea, but I can't see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    David mcwilliams has been talking about it for a long time, interesting idea, but I can't see it happening

Eastpoints on reclaimed land, think it'd sink if one put high rise in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Building a considerable extension to a city at essentially sea level doesn't seem like a wise option right now.

Building a considerable extension to a city at essentially sea level doesn't seem like a wise option right now.

Right and all the other cities that did this , didn’t spare this a thought ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭prunudo

Very easy to say lets move the port. But what would the cost in money and to the environment of building a brand new port be.
    Then you have businesses such as warehousing and logistics that have built up around the port and in industrial estates within easy distances of the port. You could be creating many more problems by trying to solve one by simply going for a land grab for the sake of it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It would be a good start to start developing the already derelict brownfield sites dotted across the city in the here and now rather than trying to redevelop the Port which is ages away. There is no shortage of land for development in Dublin at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Where's the suggested new location for the port?
    I'm not against the idea and i know there's no formal proposals but are there ideas in mind?

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    It would be a good start to start developing the already derelict brownfield sites dotted across the city in the here and now rather than trying to redevelop the Port which is ages away. There is no shortage of land for development in Dublin at the minute.

marno there is nothing like a site, where the port is situated, beside the massive employers in the docklands, with the water amenities that the port offers.

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Where's the suggested new location for the port?
    I'm not against the idea and i know there's no formal proposals but are there ideas in mind?

Bremore, in north county dublin. Ferries might even start serving Dun Laoire again if the port moved... just google "dublin port bremore" for more info...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Idbatterim wrote: »
    marno there is nothing like a site, where the port is situated, beside the massive employers in the docklands, with the water amenities that the port offers.

Indeed, but there are significant constraints also. Firstly, it won't happen in the short or even medium term. Secondly, the infrastructure would need a major upgrade at wherever the new port location is. Thirdly, there will be objections from the usual suspects.

If we can't get brownfield sites developed in no brainer locations, I feel a complex, multi-faceted idea like moving the Port will remain an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I've gone completely off the idea of building high rises out there. Dublin itself is tiny and the pavements do be packed. Where do these new high rise people go if they want a walk? They will want a big park at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Smiles35 wrote: »
    I've gone completely off the idea of building high rises out there. Dublin itself is tiny and the pavements do be packed. Where do these new high rise people go if they want a walk? They will want a big park at least.

Well if one isn't included in any master plan (which it enevitably would) you would have Fairview, Rings end, Sean Moore, Sandymount promenade or a short hop on the red line to the largest urban park in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well if one isn't included in any master plan (which it enevitably would) you would have Fairview, Rings end, Sean Moore, Sandymount promenade or a short hop on the red line to the largest urban park in Europe.

Fairview Park is hardly adjacent to Dublin Port, unless you have a boat!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You would obviously have a pathway with cycle lane etc along the Liffey , along with perhaps some Central Park Like set up. With high rise either side....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I'll be honest, I did not know sizable parks were around there so close to the docks. Still though, you seem very confident another green area would stay on plans with high rises I don't know if they survive planning stages where high rises are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If Dublin port were to move would it be worth downscaling it ?
    At the moment, dublin as well as being the largest city is also the centre of our transport network (roads)... So most things come in via Dublin ..
    But if other ports that are still rail linked ( or close to it ) could unload/load directly from ship to train ,and then transport to rail yards near destination /origin of cargo ,then a new Dublin port wouldn't need to be as big , ( well for bulk and container anyway )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement