Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So does golf close under level 5?

Options
  • 19-10-2020 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what's happening, I'm guessing at least it will be members only, but likely a full closure.

Anybody know official line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Anybody know what's happening, I'm guessing at least it will be members only, but likely a full closure.

Eamonn Ryan in the post 9 O'Clock news press conference said all golf courses would be shut ??? Hopefully it was a slip of the tongue

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No matter what we hope. Golfgate and a few other events were not a great help. I've also seen a few things around my own club, drinking etc - that is only going to get the eye on us. Way too many people at golf, still don't get social distancing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

No matter what we hope. Golfgate and a few other events were not a great help. I've also seen a few things around my own club, drinking etc - that is only going to get the eye on us. Way too many people at golf, still don't get social distancing to be honest.
    Sad, But true. I seen players at a neighbouring club taking the flag out at every green. The greenkeeper even approached them and asked them to stop, but they continued on removing the flag at the next hole..... Plonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Elite sport remains. And non contact sport for children.

Golf (except for kids) doesn't fall under this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

B-D-P-- wrote:

5k maximum distance from your home I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I read golf can remain open. Golfers however must live within 5km of the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

KaneToad wrote: »

So only single figure players going forward :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

KaneToad wrote: »

Surely it does?

According to the Oxford dictionary, Elitist is under same meaning as Elite.

According to the daily muck, golf is an elitist sport.

So the daily muck by default says golf is OK

:)

The local superintendent (hcp 8) agrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

If closed, will anyone be looking to put their membership on hold/extended while closed?

I didn't for the last closure and can afford it but will be enquiring this time due to a few different things.

How hard it is to get a game, especially when chronogolf barely works when.the time sheet opens at 9am, i literally only played for last few months constantly checking for cancellations as the app is beyond useless and cant handle so many people.

No penalty for people booking and not cancelling. 3 balls everywhere on Saturday gone.
    I actually just turned up on Sunday as i couldnt get a time and played in place of a no show.

Amount of soceties/visitor in peak times. Same everywhere i assume with this one.

Even the rules they set themselves for clearing public/guest after 12 hours is not followed . It seems to be whenever they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

Unfortunately it’s a pr exercise now with regard to golf. It might be the safest sport in the world to play but the tabloid fallout from Clifden got so many people’s backs up they’d be sacrificing a lot of public “buy in” for the other restrictions if golf was allowed. You can hear the whinging now, “......but why is golf allowed Joe ? I lose my job and all these judges and accountants are allowed to play golf. It’s not right Joe, it’s disgraceful is what it is.....”

And don’t even get me started about calling the GAA championships “elite”

2020 is just sh1t all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Can sports continue?

No training or matches should take place, with the exception of professional, elite sports and inter-county Gaelic games, horse-racing and greyhound racing, which are being permitted to continue behind closed doors.

That's from the indo article on the lockdown. Seems fairly clear golf is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Russman wrote: »
    Unfortunately it’s a pr exercise now with regard to golf. It might be the safest sport in the world to play but the tabloid fallout from Clifden got so many people’s backs up they’d be sacrificing a lot of public “buy in” for the other restrictions if golf was allowed. You can hear the whinging now, “......but why is golf allowed Joe ? I lose my job and all these judges and accountants are allowed to play golf. It’s not right Joe, it’s disgraceful is what it is.....”

And don’t even get me started about calling the GAA championships “elite”

2020 is just sh1t all round.

It might have been too much to ask but I said it at the time. The naming of the scandal as "golfgate" was terrible PR and the GUI should have done something to protect the game by counteracting it. Having 80 people break the rules by attending a dinner, many of whom hadn't even played golf that day, was unfair on the hundreds of clubs up and down the Country who have been doing a great job during the crisis. #dinnergate

We had scenes like the Battle of Stirling after some County Finals and it didn't have as bad or lasting PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

All that said, I'm still hopeful that Ryan just misspoke. It wasn't scripted and he was just answering a question which he seemed to bumble his way through.

The fact that the GUI issued a holding statement straight away would suggest they were caught of gaurd. I think they would have known in advance if Level 5 meant no golf at all.

It's Eamon Ryan after all. We'll know for certain later today I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So the official announcement from the government is that yes golf courses are to close but also, no, golf courses will remain open to those within 5km.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

We don't need 2 threads so locking this one now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement