Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast 2020 with Google tv

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

I downloaded the iPlayer APK for Android TV listed above, Nord VPN (the app on the Chromecast) quick connect to UK. Nothing more.

is yours a gb version ? mine just sticks on the home tab when launched that way - dunno why have itv hub working aswell easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Nowso wrote: »
    is yours a gb version ? mine just sticks on the home tab when launched that way - dunno why have itv hub working aswell easy enough

Bought in Spain as it's where I'm based. Dunno if standard European version or ESP/ITA. Don't think it should make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

No Black Friday deals on it then? Shame I missed out on the Argos offer last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Anyone got the ethernet adaptor yet or suggest a non Google alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

sioda wrote: »

Search for ugreen Ethernet adapter on Amazon, there are a few different ones to choose from and they are reduced in piece for black Friday. I have one working on a Mibox which is also Android TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

I got the Google one a few weeks ago. It works well for me, happy with it given my patchy wifi.

got it the other day from google working good

Search for ugreen Ethernet adapter on Amazon, there are a few different ones to choose from and they are reduced in piece for black Friday. I have one working on a Mibox which is also Android TV

Have the ugreen on my mi box but it doesn't have a power pass through.

Went with https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QXMNF1X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_.bQWFbV6QRS44
    as it will allow my cheapo keyboard to work

Have the ugreen on my mi box but it doesn't have a power pass through.

Went with https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QXMNF1X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_.bQWFbV6QRS44
    as it will allow my cheapo keyboard to work

Does that have an ethernet port?

SteM wrote: »
    Does that have an ethernet port?

Looks like just a usb hub

• Advertisement

After a few weeks with this, have to say the performance isn't on a par with the 4K Firestick. Dunno if it's the hardware or software but have suggested plenty of slow load times and laggy transitions and animations.

I find it frustrating that only Netflix and Disney+ get pulled into the Google TV interface. Can't directly resume anything from Prime Video from the home screen for example.

Looks like just a usb hub

Feic looked at way too many today and ordered the wrong one
    Thanks for the save 😁

I find it frustrating that only Netflix and Disney+ get pulled into the Google TV interface. Can't directly resume anything from Prime Video from the home screen for example.

That's more to do with the apps themselves than the OS, Amazon prime doesn't do much from the home channel on a Shield either, it's a pretty clunky app too. It's also very early days for the Google TV UI

That's more to do with the apps themselves than the OS, Amazon prime doesn't do much from the home channel on a Shield either, it's a pretty clunky app too. It's also very early days for the Google TV UI

I didn't say it was Google TV's fault, I merely said I found it frustrating, particularly so given the integration and smartness of the UI was one of the big selling points of the thing.

Actually received an incremental update this evening, so will see if that improves the disappointing performance of it.

I really dislike the default home screen to be honest, it's the same with the firestick. I installed the alt launcher linked earlier in the thread and much prefer it. I don't want suggestions thrown at me every time I turn on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ULMarc

After a few weeks with this, have to say the performance isn't on a par with the 4K Firestick. Dunno if it's the hardware or software but have suggested plenty of slow load times and laggy transitions and animations.

I actually sent my Chromecast back. I already had a Fire TV. Some of the things I like the least about the Fire TV are not being able access the Play Store, that the home screen won't load if it has trouble connecting to Amazon, and that the homescreen is so geared towards content advertising rather than the apps I'm interested in using.

I hoped the Chromecast would feel a bit more like my device rather than a Google service device. But in the end it very much felt like a Google'd Fire TV. I know you can set it to app-only mode but it's no better an experience than the default.

And the remote's crap! :D

I was about to pack in my chromecast and then i looked into my modem - powerplug set up last night
    after moving the modem to be pluggied into the wall and not the extension lead i kept the extension lead away from them 2 and now it is as good as im gonna get it - had the same issue wift wifi before but now that sorted both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Can someone tell me if a chromecast comes pre-loaded with the likes of Netflix and Disney+?

I'd like the folks to be able to piggyback on our Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts, but casting from a phone app would be too fiddley for them.

Can those services be accessed & UI / menu browsed solely via the chromecast?

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if a chromecast comes pre-loaded with the likes of Netflix and Disney+?

I'd like the folks to be able to piggyback on our Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts, but casting from a phone app would be too fiddley for them.

Yes.

Yamanoto wrote: »

netflix yes and disney plus can be easily installed as its a recomended app -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Supercell wrote: »
    Started using mine yesterday, loving it. Remapped Netflix button to Kodi which is working brilliantly.
    Thought i would need to use Jellyfin to downsample playback but native playback over the NFS share is working perfectly.
    Love the voice commands. Wish you could power off and on more than one device by pressing the power button, for example the power button can either turn on and off the tv or sound bar but not both, seems an odd thing to leave like that, but overall very happy.

How do you remap the Netflix button?

How do you remap the Netflix button?

button Mapper app does that not sure if the free one does it gove it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    I have a vpn but how do I sideload apps? With nordvpn set to uk on google tv apps say not available in country...works fine with hbo max

Hi folks,
    I have a vpn but how do I sideload apps? With nordvpn set to uk on google tv apps say not available in country...works fine with hbo max

im in ireland i just said install nordvpn on google assistant and it brought me to it to install . dowload your apk - i use Wifi file explorer app from play store to move the apk from laptop to the downloads file and then install
    sideload launcher is good for any apps that dont display on main screen

you might need developer status activated so go on the build info in the set up and hit it 10 times

Just use the Downloader app to get the APK you need from APKmirror or similar and allow install from unknown sources in your security settings.

VPN is for actually accessing the content in the apps themselves. You can't use VPN to access apps from a different country's Play Store - your account is tied to a specific country (presumably Ireland in your case) and you can only change it by having payment options from a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Just use the Downloader app to get the APK you need from APKmirror or similar and allow install from unknown sources in your security settings.

VPN is for actually accessing the content in the apps themselves. You can't use VPN to access apps from a different country's Play Store - your account is tied to a specific country (presumably Ireland in your case) and you can only change it by having payment options from a different country.

Kinda correct but if you clear the cache on the Play Store app and then connect with a VPN you then have access to that Country's specific apps. I've used this trick for years....

Latest firmware Update now supports Stadia for anyone who wants to use it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nowso wrote: »
    Latest firmware Update now supports Stadia for anyone who wants to use it

Sounds good, I have a Stadia running via the included Chromecast Ultra on the main TV, I've another Stadia set but the Google TV dongle on the other house telly, this will be perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

It's dropped in price by €10 today to €59.95 from Google store.

Advertisement