Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booked 2 seats on the same flight

Options
  • 01-10-2020 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Is it legal to have booked 2 seats in one name? Would the airline pickup on the duplicate booking?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why would it be illegal?

Names are far from unique, I'd be rather surprised if I haven't been on a flight with someone with the same name, top ten most common Irish surnames and a very common for my age first name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Is it legal to have booked 2 seats in one name? Would the airline pickup on the duplicate booking?

People do it all the time. The name on the other seat goes down as "Mr Spare Seat". If the same name is on both seats, it may be cancelled as a duplicate

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Unless you can scan both tickets to get through security the airline will assume your 2nd seat is a no show and could assign it to someone else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I can't imagine it's legal, can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if it was?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Amirani wrote: »
    can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if it was?

Erm, no. Elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

L1011 wrote: »
    Erm, no. Elaborate?

That was just a joke.

Being serious though, it's definitely not illegal OP, and many airlines make it quite easy for you to ensure adjacent seats. Here's a guide to how to do it on US carriers if it's any use: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/buy-second-airplane-seat/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

I'm fairly sure a rather oversized friend of mine booked 2 seats to himself for a TATL flight a few years ago. He may have cleared it with the airline first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

How much would it cost to book return flight London Sydney on the Emirates a380 but book all seats on it so you don’t have to put up with any other passengers?? One time on a long haul overnight flight a lad sitting behind me kept making stink farts in his sleep, I came very close to an air rage incident, eventually I just left my seat and found an empty one at back of the plane.

How much would it cost to book return flight London Sydney on the Emirates a380 but book all seats on it so you don’t have to put up with any other passengers?? One time on a long haul overnight flight a lad sitting behind me kept making stink farts in his sleep, I came very close to an air rage incident, eventually I just left my seat and found an empty one at back of the plane.

Rather A Lot. It'd be cheaper to charter an aircraft at that stage; and indeed at any stage from maybe 70% of the seats bought on a standard pricing model upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I met a guy in Emirates Business Class on a Dubai to Bangkok flight who had 22 of his wives booked in Business Class too. Interesting character. Seemed stressed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

McGaggs wrote: »
    People do it all the time. The name on the other seat goes down as "Mr Spare Seat". If the same name is on both seats, it may be cancelled as a duplicate

Ryanair explain it here:

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Special-assistance/Can-I-purchase-an-extra-seat-for-a-large-person

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I met a guy in Emirates Business Class on a Dubai to Bangkok flight who had 22 of his wives booked in Business Class too. Interesting character. Seemed stressed though.

I'd be stressed with 22 wives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Inquitus wrote: »
    I'd be stressed with 22 wives :)

Twenty two mother in law's... :(

Advertisement