Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last years premium required to be shown on renewal notice.

Options
  • 30-09-2020 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Every renewal notice I've ever gotten has increased by some margin as the Insurer chances their arm at ripping me off.

No matter how hard you search you'll never see the premium plus other fees you paid last year on the renewal notice they send you.

They rely on people just renewing without checking - thinking they're signing up for much the same deal.

How easy and what a positive, consumer-friendly thing it would be to have legislation passed that makes it mandatory for Insurers to clearly state the full amount paid last year in a prominent place on your renewal notice letter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Every renewal notice I've ever gotten has increased by some margin as the Insurer chances their arm at ripping me off.

No matter how hard you search you'll never see the premium plus other fees you paid last year on the renewal notice they send you.

They rely on people just renewing without checking - thinking they're signing up for much the same deal.

How easy it would be to have legislation passed that makes it mandatory for Insurers to clearly state the full amount paid last year in a prominent place on your renewal notice letter.

Yep. Certainly something that should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

How hard is it to check your records? Secondly, does it matter, are you not going to check the market for the best price anyway? Doesn't matter if it is dearer, cheaper or the same as last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

How hard is it to check your records? Secondly, does it matter, are you not going to check the market for the best price anyway? Doesn't matter if it is dearer, cheaper or the same as last year

My suggestion was to do with improving insurance to the advantage of the Consumer generally.

Are you progress-averse in everything you do?

My suggestion was to do with improving insurance to the advantage of the Consumer generally.

Are you progress-averse in everything you do?

I don't spend my time looking for irrelevant 1st world problems. How could it possibly benefit the consumer to have it printed from last year.

I renewed my wife's policy during the week. The quote looked similar to last year. A quick check on my emails and I had the figure. Searched the market, decided to renew having negotiated a discount.

What good could it possibly have done me to have it on my renewal notice that I only paid half the quote last year, for example? Would it have given me any course of redress with my insurer? There are far more important things to sort out in the Irish insurance market than this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

They are obliged to show them now.
    Look again, mine was buried in a later page but it was there.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I'm with liberty and about 90% sure they show last years premium on renewal notices, was this not already brought into law?
    On the other hand I work with liberty and remember implementing something like this but it could have been for a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I don't spend my time looking for irrelevant 1st world problems. How could it possibly benefit the consumer to have it printed from last year.

I renewed my wife's policy during the week. The quote looked similar to last year. A quick check on my emails and I had the figure. Searched the market, decided to renew having negotiated a discount.

What good could it possibly have done me to have it on my renewal notice that I only paid half the quote last year, for example? Would it have given me any course of redress with my insurer? There are far more important things to sort out in the Irish insurance market than this nonsense

Ah.....I get it, a quick read of your post history shows you just enjoy being needlessly contrary and enthusiastically opinionated so you can pointlessly argue with people as a hobby.

....To think I'd actually tried to see sense in what you were saying and understand your point of view......

Another Candidate for the ignore list.

In reply to the other posts on this - I've checked An Post Insurances letter and what I paid last year is not there.... I don't seem to have it in an email either. Only way I know I can get it is to ring them and ask for it or to dig out my bank statements and search through them....

If you have an ignore list, maybe you're the problem

I call out nonsense when I see it and assist where I can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

How easy and what a positive, consumer-friendly thing it would be to have legislation passed that makes it mandatory for Insurers to clearly state the full amount paid last year in a prominent place on your renewal notice letter.

Insurers are legally obliged to show last years renewal premium on all renewal notices. This has been mandatory since late 2019. I would suspect it is on the documents somewhere however if it is not, the insurers are in breach of CPC guidelines and should be reported to the CBI.

Insurers are legally obliged to show last years renewal premium on all renewal notices. This has been mandatory since late 2019. I would suspect it is on the documents somewhere however if it is not, the insurers are in breach of CPC guidelines and should be reported to the CBI.

Exactly. The fact that some people are calling for it to be introduced, when it's already there shows just how irrelevant it is. There are serious issues to tackle in the insurance industry, but this wasn't one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

My broker always has last years premium included. Obviously I'm also cognisant enough to remember a payment that big in any event!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

I got my renewal recently.

It was the first thing I noticed- the premium I paid last year.

This year was €60 more. €530 compared to €470 last year. Spent a couple of hours ringing around and getting online quotes. Nothing came within an asses roar of €530.

As a last ditch attempt to save a few quid, rang current insurer ( 123.ie broker) and threatened, begged, cajoled to no effect. I think they knew they were well ahead of the market.

They'll keep my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What you paid for insurance the previous year is irrelevant to your current quote. There are so many variables that go into a quote and most aren't even related to you. If all the companies suing for business interruption win your premium will go up, if a massive storm destroys thousands of properties your premium goes up.

The only way to know if the renewal price is good or bad is to spend a few hours checking all the insurance companies and compare the prices and conditions.

Advertisement