Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

With Werner, Ziyech, Chilwell and Silva now confirmed, and let's say the Havertz deal goes ahead, will Chelsea have pulled too far ahead of us? Is Sancho alone (if it happens) enough to keep us on par with them?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

bangkok wrote: »
    my point to the OP was that fergie never got rid of them for doing something bad, was only when there were past their prime that he got rid of them. Majority of the players bar probably Beckham were past their prime and on there way down

Stam then? Keane, injuries and all was still better than the dross we had in midfield bar Scholes.

Ferguson wasn't afraid to drop anyone either. I'm not saying he should be sold or sacked as it'd be a write off of quite a decent amount of money. I do think his first team place should be at stake though even as a message.

If he was a lowly , small wage squad player, I think the club would think about cutting him. Clubs around the world have different rules for their big name players than they do for their underlings, maybe not in writing, but they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Chelsea announced Thiago Silva, anytime your ready Ed it would be nice to get signings done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Hococop wrote: »
    Chelsea announced Thiago Silva, anytime your ready Ed it would be nice to get signings done

What are you on about, we have two Spanish teenagers all signed up:rolleyes:

MattS1 wrote: »
    He's absolutely right to do an interview. He probably wants to set the record straight. Why should he have everyone talking ****e about him when he knows what happened. Probably good for him and his family to set the record straight and not let the crappy tabloids make up crazy stories about it.

With £63,000 of alocohol in him how would he know what happened? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Weepsie wrote: »
    Stam then? Keane, injuries and all was still better than the dross we had in midfield bar Scholes.

Ferguson wasn't afraid to drop anyone either. I'm not saying he should be sold or sacked as it'd be a write off of quite a decent amount of money. I do think his first team place should be at stake though even as a message.

If he was a lowly , small wage squad player, I think the club would think about cutting him. Clubs around the world have different rules for their big name players than they do for their underlings, maybe not in writing, but they do.

Stam had a bad ankle injury and when he came back from it, both fergie and steve mcclaren thought he lost a yard of pace, first gae of the new season he was awful and then lazio came in with a big money offer, Fergie said it was such a good offer they couldnt turn it down and thought stam was past his best so sold him. HE said years later, he should have given him a few more games as he still had a few years left in him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Harry Maguire when he puts England 1-0 up against Greece at Euro 2021

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEXN9ikgt37/

:pac::pac::pac:

Greece cant qualify, 1/10 meme

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

IMO opinion the Maguire matter is not serious enough to have an interview with the BBC at this stage.

It is looks like a case of protesting too much and where the player has now put even more spotlight on the incident as well as the position he put himself into that contributed (even unintentionally) to the matter.

We are in the midst of a global pandemic (actually important). Within that time, a footballer and members of his family, friends went on holiday and got into an altercation. The matter went to court (quickly), a verdict was applied and he has now appealed it.

It does not appear any significant damage to any living person has taken place as a result of the altercation. Reputations may be damaged and gossip may exist but this interview has not and could not fix these issues.

He could have achieved his public plea of innocence and desire to have his appeal heard in a short statement online, that that he looks forward to engaging with the authorities in Greece to resolve the matter, clear his name as well as his desire to get on with football in the mean time.

At risk of incorrectly interpreting others views - it seems much of the protest about this decision is about the unnecessary level of defence put forward for a private matter that is not significant enough to warrant so much attention - not that Maguire is wrong to maintain his innocence or seek justice.

Is is possible to think Maguire should stand up for his side, to 'support' the player but also think he overdid it in how he went about it. It is unreasonable to expect people to blindly back all actions just because he is a Man Utd player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ehm beckham was turfed out, Keane eventually too, and they were all dropped at points too. Lee Sharpe sent in his way, Yorke and stam. Not all for footballing reasons.

Every single one of them are/were significantly better players too, and all with the exception of maybe Evra more important to the team than Maguire is and will be.

Club came first. Without exception..only Rooney towards the end seemed to get some sort of leeway as I think Ferguson thought he could protect him or something the way people said he would have Gascoigne

That was in a time when we could afford to turf out quality players and still be successful. We aren’t good enough to offload maguire because there are already plenty of issues that need to be fixed.

Keane was well past his best to be fair. SAF regretted selling Stam. Becks, I think we still won a league or two after he left.

I suppose I think we are in a situation where we need Maguire more then he needs us. There aren’t a lot of top quality CBs these days, we are struggling to even find him a decent partner.

Drumpot wrote: »
    That was in a time when we could afford to turf out quality players and still be successful. We aren’t good enough to offload maguire because there are already plenty of issues that need to be fixed.

Keane was well past his best to be fair. SAF regretted selling Stam. Becks, I think we still won a league or two after he left.

I suppose I think we are in a situation where we need Maguire more then he needs us. There aren’t a lot of top quality CBs these days, we are struggling to even find him a decent partner.

Stam left and we finished third (worst league finish in 12 yrs)and we were gash in Europe. We won the following year fair enough. Then Beckham left and we didn't win anything for 3 years outside an fa cup.

The pace thing is b0llox too. They didn't decide after 1 game to sell him. If they were so worried about it, he wouldn't have been replaced by Laurent Blanc. A personal disagreement happened, which is not the only time it happened with Ferguson. Get on his wrong side, and he was not afraid to move on from you.

Getting rid of stam was a stupid mistake. Getting rid of Beckham was a gamble. We were worse off short term, better off mid-long term.

Maguire is to me more readily replaceable than any of these players were though. Our defence is back to the level it was 2 seasons ago, pre Maguire.

• Advertisement

Stam left and we finished third (worst league finish in 12 yrs)and we were gash in Europe. We won the following year fair enough. Then Beckham left and we didn't win anything for 3 years outside an fa cup.

The pace thing is b0llox too. They didn't decide after 1 game to sell him. If they were so worried about it, he wouldn't have been replaced by Laurent Blanc. A personal disagreement happened, which is not the only time it happened with Ferguson. Get on his wrong side, and he was not afraid to move on from you.

Getting rid of stam was a stupid mistake. Getting rid of Beckham was a gamble. We were worse off short term, better off mid-long term.

Maguire is to me more readily replaceable than any of these players were though. Our defence is back to the level it was 2 seasons ago, pre Maguire.

Who do we replace Maguire with? And who else do we sign to partner Maguires replacement? I think selling Maguire to take some sort of moral stance is cutting off your nose to spite your face. There is no benefit to offloading him unless he’s a problem in the dressingroom or on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Credit where its due. This is completely taking all heat away from Woody and the fact their is an open transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I can't see how anyone can possibly think that interview was a good idea in any way shape or form. For those that think it was a good idea I'm honestly asking did you watch the whole thing and listen keenly to what Maguire said? Just listen to whats said in it, some bizarre stuff.

Harry says he feared for his life, doesn't have to apologies to anyone and thought he was being kidnapped. Such a bad movement from his pr team to allow this.

When the story first broke it was just another case of a drunk footballer having an altercation outside a bar getting in trouble with the police, had he shut up it would have blown over in a week, christ even the Messi story almost erased it from public memory. Harry has turned it into something else, a complete media circus. Like someone already mentioned he's made some very serious accusation of police brutality against the Greek police force and we have a retrial still to come. The cirucs will roll on and I ca't imagine the Greek police are going to be happy and take Harrys accusations lying down whether they are true or not. They will try cover their own derriere first and foremost.
    Again , I think some of you are more concerned with the optics (the shame!!), then the reasoning for him try to clear his name publicly and through the courts.

Some are perfectly right to be worried about optics. There are two types of courts, the legal ones and then there is the court of public opinion. Harry is portraying himself as an innocent man who's been assaulted by a foreign police force after his sister was attacked or drugged in that country. Its hard to tell whether it was a drugging or not because the story has changed yet again. He's set himself up for a huge amount of ridicule if he can't prove all of this and thats where its a lose lose for him, a lot of it cant be proven.

In the interview he says two men (he's dropped the Albania profiling here) approached his sister, her eyes rolled back in her head and he knew something was wrong. When the police arrived, he claimed he puts his hand in the air and dropped to his knees and they just started assaulting him, hitting his leg, kind of hard to do when your on your knees I would have thought.

He thought he was being kidnapped and had no idea the minibus had dropped him outside the police station. Really the building with police station written on it with police cars and bikes outside? Bizarre stuff that doesn't match with previous statements.

Harry has created an us vs them situation against and foreign police for and judicial system with his PR babble. Someone called him gormless earlier and he does comes across as daft as a brush in the interview and his behavior and handling of this whole situation.

These optics could effect his game if this backfires and what he says is proven false. The media will brand him a liar and the fans will give him no end of abuse from the stands and he'll only have himself to blame. He needed to stay quite and let it blow over or as many have already said appeal and make statements through legal channels only.

A Greek lawyer has already dissected and torn apart what he said in an statement, the ridicule has started online and the interview is being compared to the prince Andrew one and as obscene as that is rival fans will use anything to make him a laughing stock. This is going to drag on with Harry and the center of it possibly releasing more statement or doing cringe worthy interviews.

Who do we replace Maguire with? And who else do we sign to partner Maguires replacement? I think selling Maguire to take some sort of moral stance is cutting off your nose to spite your face. There is no benefit to offloading him unless he’s a problem in the dressingroom or on the pitch.

I didn't say he should be sold. I said he's more replaceable than past players with indiscretions.

I said he should be dropped however. Why not see how Smalling can do. He played a part on our 2 best defensive seasons post Fergie and is coming off a year of excellent football, albeit elsewhere.

Partner Maguire's replacement? That's lindelof. He's more than capable. He doesn't need replacing.

We need a DM and at least one better fullback though on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭KH25

pjohnson wrote: »
    Credit where its due. This is completely taking all heat away from Woody and the fact their is an open transfer window.

What id give for some positive transfer news..

@Yourairbag,

I’m gonna try and leave this topic on the interview. I really don’t believe it’s as big an issue as some are making it out to be and in the scheme of things we have far bigger issues to address.

As somebody said, I’m sort of going round in circles and I’m conscious that I can drive myself and others mad in these sort of things.

I’m only posting so you don’t think I’m ignoring you. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

KH25 wrote: »
    What id give for some positive transfer news..

I'd have thought this woulda been the perfect time to just go fcuk it and hurl 130m at Dortmund to get Sancho ASAP to try and drown out the Maguire shítshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I'd have thought this woulda been the perfect time to just go fcuk it and hurl 130m at Dortmund to get Sancho ASAP to try and drown out the Maguire shítshow.

Maybe its the other way around, and theyre glad the Maguire talk has quelled talk about signings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Quandary

Ed is probably breathing a small sigh of relief alright.

No need to panic lads, if we don't get any signings its because we were so distracted by pogbas covid and Harry's Greek exploits.

Every cloud!

@Yourairbag,

I’m gonna try and leave this topic on the interview. I really don’t believe it’s as big an issue as some are making it out to be and in the scheme of things we have far bigger issues to address.

As somebody said, I’m sort of going round in circles and I’m conscious that I can drive myself and others mad in these sort of things.

I’m only posting so you don’t think I’m ignoring you. :o

Fair enough if you want to drop it but I disagree that its not a big deal. Sure there a far bigger problems in the world but its the Utd thread and in the Utd world this is big news.

This guy is our captain, his character and influence is very important as he has been put in a leadership/role model position.

He's gone on holiday got himself arrested and has piled some wild accusations on top of what was originally said. He was in a bar spending 60k on booze and drawing all lot of attention to himself and for whatever reasons its gone t*ts up and the police were called, they didn't just happen by the place, they were called for a reason.

He has now just gone to BBC news, not sky news, not a statement through his agent but he's gone to one of the worlds biggest national televised media organizations and given an interview where he can barley look the interviewer in the eye when giving his side of story, his eyes are firmly planted on the floor everytime he gives his side of the story, im no language expert but this is a give away sign of one thing.

He also turns up for the interview in shorts with blemish free legs and talks about how when they arrived at the police station, how he dropped to his knees with his hands in the air and the police start assaulting him specifically targeting his legs, did the only attack him above the shorts line? Crazy stuff along with fearing for his life and the fear of being kidnapped.

As our captain I'm surprised at how weak he has seemed throughout and the complete lack of common sense he has showed during this whole story. Its very immature and imo the captaincy would be better off for the whole team with a more strong willed individual regardless of Maguires innocence.

If Maguire has given that interview without ok'ing it with the club first then I would be livid if I was Ole. If the club ok'ed it they need better PR consultation. Someone needs to take Harrys aside and say no more interviews or stories about what happened, just stay quite and concentrate on kicking and heading the ball as best you can, interaction with the media is not your thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

Maguire would have had to get consent from the club to do the interview. It's just a PR stunt. With regards to signings I would take Grealish at this stage as I think the Sancho transfer isn't happening the longer it goes on. There's not a peak of any progress on a deal. I would offer Romero and 50mil for Grealish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

billyhead wrote: »
    Maguire would have had to get consent from the club to do the interview. It's just a PR stunt. With regards to signings I would take Grealish at this stage as I think the Sancho transfer isn't happening the longer it goes on. There's not a peak of any progress on a deal. I would offer Romero and 50mil for Grealish

I'd take Greavsie at this stage!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Not worried in the slightest about the Maguire saga, I'll only worry if it affects his on field performances. If Southgate doesn't pick him for the next 6 months it'll just mean a fresher player for us.

Signings is my biggest concern right now, Chelsea have done excellent business and have pulled way ahead of us if they hit the ground running which i expect

Manchester United are closing in on the signing of two of Spain's brightest young prospects, Marc Jurado and Alvaro Fernandez.

United have beaten a host of European clubs to bring in the two full-backs, who join from Barcelona and Real Madrid's youth setups respectively.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12058179/marc-jurado-and-alvaro-fernandez-manchester-united-closing-in-on-signing-of-spanish-duo

Fair enough if you want to drop it but I disagree that its not a big deal. Sure there a far bigger problems in the world but its the Utd thread and in the Utd world this is big news.

This guy is our captain, his character and influence is very important as he has been put in a leadership/role model position.

He's gone on holiday got himself arrested and has piled some wild accusations on top of what was originally said. He was in a bar spending 60k on booze and drawing all lot of attention to himself and for whatever reasons its gone t*ts up and the police were called, they didn't just happen by the place, they were called for a reason.

He has now just gone to BBC news, not sky news, not a statement through his agent but he's gone to one of the worlds biggest national televised media organizations and given an interview where he can barley look the interviewer in the eye when giving his side of story, his eyes are firmly planted on the floor everytime he gives his side of the story, im no language expert but this is a give away sign of one thing.

He also turns up for the interview in shorts with blemish free legs and talks about how when they arrived at the police station, how he dropped to his knees with his hands in the air and the police start assaulting him specifically targeting his legs, did the only attack him above the shorts line? Crazy stuff along with fearing for his life and the fear of being kidnapped.

As our captain I'm surprised at how weak he has seemed throughout and the complete lack of common sense he has showed during this whole story. Its very immature and imo the captaincy would be better off for the whole team with a more strong willed individual regardless of Maguires innocence.

If Maguire has given that interview without ok'ing it with the club first then I would be livid if I was Ole. If the club ok'ed it they need better PR consultation. Someone needs to take Harrys aside and say no more interviews or stories about what happened, just stay quite and concentrate on kicking and heading the ball as best you can, interaction with the media is not your thing.

tenor.gif

I’ve had my run in with the police in the past when I was younger. I don’t have a criminal record (was more I was just a bit of a wild child) but I could easily of had certain things that could of tarnished me for life had I come up against Gardaí who were determined to brand me a criminal or “teach me a lesson”.

When I read Maguires story of events , I can see how events may unfold exactly how he says in his eyes. Particularly if plain clothed police stopped their bus in the middle of nowhere, that’s just nuts, why not at least wait until he gets back to his digs?

When I see how quickly everybody is to judge him and some even brand him a criminal, I just reject the insinuation that he’s some irredeemable person that now needs to be beaten down (sold, career ruined) even if it was one drunken mistake. I think the response to what’s happened is disproportionate to what has allegedly happened. I don’t think one incident like this should he used to define a persons character or career.

Assault of an officer and bribery are a extremely surprising charges to be thrown at a person in their mid 20s who has no previous convictions or issues with the law. It really doesn’t stack up and I’d say is at worst it’s mostly down to a panicked person not really understanding what was going on when police arresting them. Should A players career be defined because of that? Is that a person that should be branded a person who bribes and assaults police?

My family has also personally been on the wrong side of law in terms of it protecting the criminals on technicality that left my dad struggling financially until he died. So I don’t see the law and convictions as black and white as some people try to paint them. The truth is I don’t know what happened on his holidays but I can see how his story can stack up without some mad conspiracy.

In terms of his character, some of the hardest people in sport are quite shy outside of a pitch. Some are also very fragile individuals. I remember watching a documentary called gladiators about the hatchet men in ice hockey whose only job was to come on and start fights. One of the hardest admitted he was constantly afraid. I myself had a name for being a very aggressive and tough player on field. I can admit I’d start fights and didn’t want to fight. So I suppose what I’m saying is that I don’t place too much weight on these sort of interviews or how people look or say. More on their actions over a longer period of time. How their team mates see them is more important then me or any other fan.

I’m not saying this cause I’m proving I’m right, I’m saying it just to explain why I have taken a certain stance on this. I don’t see this as big a deal as some are trying to build it up to be.

Time will tell if that interview was a negative. Maybe it will work agaisnt him. Or maybe Ole will use it to galvanise the squad around him and use it like Jose used to do to create an “us v them” dressingroom. If Maguire is popular it actually might end up being great for team bonding.

I think a major issue is trial you media. There’s so much more witch-hunting these days through not just papers but online platforms. I’ve fallen into the trap myself By getting annoyed for example at Pogbas online stuff (that I actually only hear about when somebody posts in here!).

I don’t think Maguire deserves the abuse he’s getting. That said, If he comes out guilty at the ferris then he will of brought it on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I haven't seen the interview, but did see a crazy headline which said Maguire thought he was being kidnapped when the police arrested him.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I haven't seen the interview, but did see a crazy headline which said Maguire thought he was being kidnapped when the police arrested him.

they were meant to be going to the hospital with his sister, when they got pulled over, police officers in plain clothes got them on the ground, you could see how he thought that in fairness

they were meant to be going to the hospital with his sister, when they got pulled over, police officers in plain clothes got them on the ground, you could see how he thought that in fairness

The taxi driver brought them to the police station instead of the hospital, Maguire claims. He says he wasn't aware that it was a police station when the taxi pulled up and they got out. It was only when the police came outside and started assaulting them that they realized this.

The Greek prosecutor says there is no way you could not realise its a police station with the flag and police vehicles outside it. He's says Maguires interview has added insult to injury. You have to wonder about a taxi driver being told to go to the hospital with Maguire and an apparently passed out female in the back instead ignoring the request and going to the police station instead and we are yet to hear from Maguires sister and of any hospital reports from the needle puncture wound and injection she supposedly suffered.

Honestly the story is full of holes, these most recent ones are from Maguires interview which is why it was clearly such a bad idea. Hopefully he stays quiet now but this will reignite once the 2nd trial takes place, hopefully its 6months to a year from now and Maguire doesn't talk about it for that length of time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

With Werner, Ziyech, Chilwell and Silva now confirmed, and let's say the Havertz deal goes ahead, will Chelsea have pulled too far ahead of us? Is Sancho alone (if it happens) enough to keep us on par with them?

As it stands, and since I'm relatively certain Messi is off to City, I'd say City and Chelsea are going to be taking up two of the top four spots easily enough. Their windows will have seen them improve absolutely massively.

Liverpool haven't improved yet. But given they've finished the last two seasons well ahead of us, the onus was on us to catch them. If the remain static, we're still way behind them.

So, as it stands, we're back to yet another battle for forth. Us, Arsenal and Spurs likely to be slugging it out. Only Arsenal and Spurs are actually making improvements too. As it stands, they're catching up, but our lack of any business means they'll have closed the gap by now.

Chelsea's window is absolutely insane. They're not doing anything we couldn't be doing, even in part. They've snagged some great deals for multiple players. Its not like they're splashing absurd amounts of the likes of Werner, Zieych, Silva....hell, even Chilwell's price seemed to get negotiated down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I think doing the interview was a mistake. Wait til the trail is over. Media have made their judgement and doing an interview isn't going to change that. Focus on the trail and get everything airtight so he can appeal successfully.

Poor advice by his lawyers and the club if they were involved in that decision. Keep his head down and let his lawyers do the work. Only him and his family know what happen, screw the media its only money it there pockets doing an interview like that. I think it's done him more harm unfortunately.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    As it stands, and since I'm relatively certain Messi is off to City, I'd say City and Chelsea are going to be taking up two of the top four spots easily enough. Their windows will have seen them improve absolutely massively.

Liverpool haven't improved yet. But given they've finished the last two seasons well ahead of us, the onus was on us to catch them. If the remain static, we're still way behind them.

So, as it stands, we're back to yet another battle for forth. Us, Arsenal and Spurs likely to be slugging it out. Only Arsenal and Spurs are actually making improvements too. As it stands, they're catching up, but our lack of any business means they'll have closed the gap by now.

Chelsea's window is absolutely insane. They're not doing anything we couldn't be doing, even in part. They've snagged some great deals for multiple players. Its not like they're splashing absurd amounts of the likes of Werner, Zieych, Silva....hell, even Chilwell's price seemed to get negotiated down.

Liverpool will get Thiago Alcantara (not sure of the spelling). We have so many games next season to rely on the likes of Lingard, Mata, Pereira @ James for bench options is a joke not too mention not sorting out the RW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I think people might be getting a bit carried away with Chelsea.
    Lots of players coming to the PL for the first time. Ziyech looked good at Ajax, but so did Dusan Tadic in the same team. As for Silva, plenty of ageing centre backs have come to the Premier League and been found out.
    Werner will come in as CF, but he wont score a massive amount more than Abraham and Giroud did.
    They'll be better than they were for sure, but I wouldnt be quaking in my boots just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

What are you on about, we have two Spanish teenagers all signed up:rolleyes:

And don't forget Henderson, pretty much a new signing. 3 in the bag, well done Ed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

xtal191 wrote: »
    And don't forget Henderson, pretty much a new signing. 3 in the bag, well done Ed :(

Any Phil Jones will be fit come mid September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Lots of players coming to the PL for the first time. Ziyech looked good at Ajax, but so did Dusan Tadic in the same team. As for Silva, plenty of ageing centre backs have come to the Premier League and been found out.
    Werner will come in as CF, but he wont score a massive amount more than Abraham and Giroud did.
    They'll be better than they were for sure, but I wouldnt be quaking in my boots just yet.

In fairness, they're filling gaps in their side and the Kai Havertz deal is all but done according to Fabrizio Romano. Chilwell arriving too who is a great addition.

From a personal viewpoint, it's not the signings they're making. It's the fact they are making signings, an owner who cares about results on the pitch and actually backing their manager after a decent season. Something that is not happening at United right now.

For that reason I'm jealous, maybe others are thinking the same. We're stagnant after a decent season too.

My fear is that Ole will not be backed, results will go sour around November/December, fans turn on Ole, players down tools, Ole sacked. Rinse repeat.

• Advertisement

When you sign 6 or 7 first team players, there's obviously a risk some won't adapt. But if half do, you're still better off than you were last season.

Meanwhile, if Bruno hadn't hit the ground running, we'd have been stuck in mid-table with no other options or chances :/

Any Phil Jones will be fit come mid September.

And Pogba will sign an extension after he hopefully recovers fully from Corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

In fairness, they're filling gaps in their side and the Kai Havertz deal is all but done according to Fabrizio Romano. Chilwell arriving too who is a great addition.

From a personal viewpoint, it's not the signings they're making. It's the fact they are making signings, an owner who cares about results on the pitch and actually backing their manager after a decent season. Something that is not happening at United right now.

For that reason I'm jealous, maybe others are thinking the same. We're stagnant after a decent season too.

My fear is that Ole will not be backed, results will go sour around November/December, fans turn on Ole, players down tools, Ole sacked. Rinse repeat.

A good chance this happens by December, the season has not started and already I would say we are in a fight for a 4th place finish, thats if we make a couple of signings, If Ole does get the boot then it will be a lot more toxic for the glazers and woodworm than it was after sacking Moyes, LVG and Mourhino, none had a connection to the fans like Ole ( a club legend ) has, I can see it turning real nasty for those owners and board members,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

It all comes down to video footage, there has to be a good bit recorded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Agreed to a certain extent. I haven't seen anything from Chelsea to show me that they're really addressing their weaknesses. They'll be stronger for sure but I'm not sure if it'll be a huge improvement.

But boy could we do with signing players like they are because:

1. We're not going to be able to put out a B team in the CL like we did the EL and
    2. It looks like Ole trusts about 13-14 players max....

There's a serious schedule ahead and we're a couple of key injuries away from a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Meanwhile, if Bruno hadn't hit the ground running, we'd have been stuck in mid-table with no other options or chances :/

While true, we probably would have seen the back of Ole and have someone like Poch in situ.

:rolleyes:

While true, we probably would have seen the back of Ole and have someone like Poch in situ.

:rolleyes:

If they weren’t going to support Ole they were hardly going to support Poch.

Ole met the owners target (CL qualification). Either he’s doing a good job and they get behind him to strengthen the team or he’s doing a not so good job, they replace him and give that manager money to strengthen the team.

I just want to say that regardless of manager, until or unless the club is winning league or getting really close regularly , the squad should always be strengthened every season. The manager is no excuse to not ever strengthen the club team.

We have the same financial muscle as pretty much any team in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I see that Arsenal have appointed two former Utd assistant coaches. Steve Round who worked with Moyes and Albert Stuivenberg who was LVGs assistant.

If they weren’t going to support Ole they were hardly going to support Poch.

We tend to back new managers initially.

Chances are if we'd finished outside top 4, Ole would have gone, Poch comes in, and is probably given one or two new players. Maybe not three or four (afterall, we'd have lost a chunk of sponsorship cash) but something.

Is when managers get top 4 and stay that we seem to sandbag them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭KH25

Chances are if we'd finished outside top 4, Ole would have gone, Poch comes in, and is probably given one or two new players. Maybe not three or four (afterall, we'd have lost a chunk of sponsorship cash) but something.

Not backing Jose after signing him to a new deal still grates on me.

David Moyes begs to differ, but I get your point....
    KH25 wrote: »
    Not backing Jose after signing him to a new deal still grates on me.

I agree though that we effectively tied him down for a longer contract and basically told him to f**k off less then 5 months later when he knocked at the door to improve on 2nd.

Regardless of whether they sack or hire managers, I want to see the team getting stronger every season. I really do reject the concept that its ok for them to not strengthen the team. Its only ok when you have won a league or CL and you will challenge again the next season. Even at that most league winning teams will buy one or two players. Its just miserable how much we are now left hoping for even maybe one or two signings.

Look at Barca, Juve, Bayern and Man City, all done some business already and we are clearly well behind these clubs. United is as big as every one of them, its very easy to forget that. There is no reason we cant be doing multiple deals and there is no reason why some of that hasn't been done now. I am not panicked about how things are going (I have already resigned myself to another battle for 4th), but our club is painfully slow at getting in what the team needs in comparison to every club our size.

Can't say I agree with this, our transfer history just doesn't bear it out.

LVG signed about 6 first team players in his first season, in his second he signed 5. Not a huge difference.

Jose signed 4 starters in his first season, 4 in his second and 2 in his 3rd season but he only got one window in that 3rd season. Some people disagree but I think Utd were right no to give him that January window after the outlay spent and how things were going in the league.

I said before that the Glazers are not tight or afraid to spend big but the money has been poorly spent. A Dof or a dedicated transfers team/structure that ties in with a progressive plan of where the first teams weaknesses are and where the manger wants to take it player wise and strategy wise needs to be put in place for better results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

PARlance wrote: »
    Agreed to a certain extent. I haven't seen anything from Chelsea to show me that they're really addressing their weaknesses. They'll be stronger for sure but I'm not sure if it'll be a huge improvement.

But boy could we do with signing players like they are because:

1. We're not going to be able to put out a B team in the CL like we did the EL and
    2. It looks like Ole trusts about 13-14 players max....

There's a serious schedule ahead and we're a couple of key injuries away from a disaster.

Can't agree with that.

Werner is a very good addition to their forward line. Abraham shows a lot of promise and had an impressive scoring record in the first 3/4 months of the season, but as with most young players his season was dogged by inconsistency. And Giroud doesn't score enough.
    So Werner absolutely addresses a problem area for them.

Chilwell is a really good signing. Its obvious Lampard wasn't happy with Alonso or Emerson. And to negotiate the price down to below 50M was good business by Chelsea. I only wish we could do similar!
    Thiago Silva may be a stop-gap signing nearing the end of his career but to be honest, even at that he's still an improvement on what they have at CB.

And Havertz probably on the way too. They're having a brilliant window imo.

Dusan tadic was good in the premier league though. He might well have done very well in a team pushing higher or in the current very good Southampton team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Greek lawyer who led the prosecution against Harry Maguire has picked several holes in the Manchester United star’s “ridiculous” account of his arrest.

Maguire – in an interview with the BBC – claimed he was “in fear for his life” as assailants hit him in the legs and told him he “he won’t play again”.

It was the United captain’s first interview since he was convicted of assaulting police officers and bribery and handed a 21-month suspended sentence – a decision Maguire’s lawyers will appeal.

Prosecution lawyer Ioannis Paradissis has now taken apart Maguire’s account of the events, and has criticising the 27-year-old for his failure to apologise.

He told MailOnline: “I’ve seen and read what Maguire said and it’s ridiculous and only adds further insult to the harm he caused the policemen he attacked and the Greek justice system as a whole.

“Maguire claims that he feared he was being kidnapped yet his response is to run away and call his agent, leaving behind his fiancé, brothers and sister and childhood friends. Even if you accepted this as true, which I don’t, these are not the actions of an honourable man.

“If I was his fiancé or any of the others in the group, I would be very angry with him for leaving them behind and would want him to do some explaining.”

He added: “Maguire claims that when the minibus stopped, he did not know that it was outside a police station. I would urge all people to have a look at Mykonos police station. It is clearly obvious what this place is either during the day or night.

“There are many police cars parked outside it at night, there is a sign stating that it is a police station and there are officers coming in and outside of the building. The only way you would not be able tell if it was not a police station is if you are very drunk.

“But clearly, he was not that drunk, because according to him he was able to fight off a group of men who he thought were kidnappers and try and escape. If he had the clarity of mind to do that then obviously, he would have also been able to see that the minibus had pulled up outside a police station.”

The football star’s friend Ashden Morley claimed during the trial in Syros that they knew the nationality of the men because ‘they had an Albanian nature.’

He added: “Why didn’t the BBC press him further on this. How did Maguire and his group know that these men were Albanian? Is the Manchester United captain and those with him experts on Albanian culture and people? And do they speak Albanian?

“And in his interview, Maguire makes no reference to Albanians, as his friend did in court and others did in his group? Why is this? Why is thier story now that it was simply two men and noting about Albanians? Why did the journalist not question him further about this?”

Mr Paradissis fumed: “And where is our apology for his behaviour? Three policemen were injured and had to be treated at hospital. A rich man came to Mykonos and thought that he could behave how he wants. He then goes on an international television channel to justify his actions and there is not a single sorry to us in anything he says.”

https://www.football365.com/news/greek-lawyer-tears-apart-man-utd-maguire-ridiculous-mykonos-claims

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement