Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I hope you are right, but I have my reservations! All the above goes against everything I have ever known of Celtic, maybe the penny has finally dropped.

Lawwell has been there 17 years, been there way too long. With him leaving maybe there’ll be some proper change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Personally and I'm sure most probably won't agree but I think it's embarrassing playing to the crowd like we saw from Rangers when they weren't good enough to challenge us.

Sort the club out on the pitch and in the dugout and do your talking there

RoryMac wrote: »
    Personally and I'm sure most probably won't agree but I think it's embarrassing playing to the crowd like we saw from Rangers when they weren't good enough to challenge us.

Sort the club out on the pitch and in the dugout and do your talking there

What do you mean exactly, Rory? Can you expand a bit there.

In my opinion the problem with Celtic is they didn't take advantage of their position in recent years to push on and become a regular CL club.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What do you mean exactly, Rory? Can you expand a bit there.

In my opinion the problem with Celtic is they didn't take advantage of their position in recent years to push on and become a regular CL club.

I agree 100% that we didn't take advantage of our position when we had the chance and that's my point, for the club now to be taking pot shots at Rangers after being embarrassed all season is petty imo.

If the club had done their job we would be at a minimum still in the race for the league not throwing out petty tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

A factually accurate statement and one I fully support. However Lawwell was complicit in the 5 way agreement and Celtic's boards failure to hold the SFA to account is a major factor in putting us in the situation we find today with a new club playing out of Ibrox behaving in the same manner financially as the previous one did until it went bankrupt. Lawwell and the Celtic board if they actually behaved like that statement would have held the SFA to account and made sure what is happing now could not have happened again.

I agree 100% that we didn't take advantage of our position when we had the chance and that's my point, for the club now to be taking pot shots at Rangers after being embarrassed all season is petty imo.

If the club had done their job we would be at a minimum still in the race for the league not throwing out petty tweets.

How is it taking pot shots at Rangers. It’s factually correct and the club are right to disassociate from them.

The problem at Celtic and with Lawwell in particular was this “Old Firm” thing. Lawwell saw the “Old Firm” as a safer revenue stream than chasing CL money. When Rangers died and were reformed coming back up the leagues in Scotland he was moaning about their absence saying it was a financial hit for Celtic when they weren’t around, he should have been focusing on Europe for Celtic’s revenue streams and ambitions. He can’t be gone quick enough as Celtic CEO for me.

How is it taking pot shots at Rangers. It’s factually correct and the club are right to disassociate from them.

The problem at Celtic and with Lawwell in particular was this “Old Firm” thing. Lawwell saw the “Old Firm” as a safer revenue stream than chasing CL money. When Rangers died and were reformed coming back up the leagues in Scotland he was moaning about their absence saying it was a financial hit for Celtic when they weren’t around, he should have been focusing on Europe for Celtic’s revenue streams and ambitions. He can’t be gone quick enough as Celtic CEO for me.

It's a pot shot because it comes on the back of us giving up the league without laying a glove on them not 9 years ago when it mattered.

I don't believe for 1 second this is us trying to disassociate ourselves from them, it's a PR stunt aimed at getting season ticket money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's a pot shot because it comes on the back of us giving up the league without laying a glove on them not 9 years ago when it mattered.

I don't believe for 1 second this is us trying to disassociate ourselves from them, it's a PR stunt aimed at getting season ticket money

Completely agree. The club were silent on this when it mattered. They're just trying to win back some disgruntled fans with this.

I don’t disagree on your views on the clubs motives behind the statement. The statement in itself is what should be the case, it would be better if the club actually acted on it.

• Advertisement

Well seeing this below makes me think again about my view on tweet from Celtic maybe it wasn't the best way to go about it but sh!te like this needs to be challenged

https://twitter.com/kieransmyth97/status/1369371703399362566?s=20

Well seeing this below makes me think again about my view on tweet from Celtic maybe it wasn't the best way to go about it but sh!te like this needs to be challenged

https://twitter.com/kieransmyth97/status/1369371703399362566?s=20

We got hammered by the Scottish Government for Covid related issues. The other lot got away lightly for similar misdemeanours.

Celtic an easier target perhaps. Our fans maybe broke regulations perhaps demonstrating against the clubs inaction re poor results. They didn’t cause thousands of pounds of damage in George’s Square or attack public property. Too easy and glib for these politicians to paint us all with the same brush. We are not half of anything and the anachronistic “Old Firm” needs to be dispensed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Is the general consensus a no for Roy Keane? Maybe it's just desperation taking over since there's been no movement on anyone, but I'm starting to think he may be a good fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Wasn't Ronny Deila supposed to be Keanes assistant originally, deal fell through and Deila got the managers job then?

Keane would be a definite no from me, hasn't managed in 10 years and even then wasn't great at Ipswich.

We need a modern manager that can improve the players we have and the ones we pick up cheap. The only success he had as a manager was with Sunderland and even then it was off the back of signing about 30 players.

A step down on Lennon for me

Wasn't Ronny Deila supposed to be Keanes assistant originally, deal fell through and Deila got the managers job then?

Yep. He was offered the job back then but after a chat with Lawwell he turned it down. Maybe he’ll take it this time if offered it again with Lawwell away at seasons end.

Roy Keane would not be my first choice but as a poster above said it might be a good fit right now? Depends on what the other options are.

As Rory says it would be great to see a new direction and strong strategy from the club. Not sure that direction is there at the club. Lawwell stayed way too long and is still hanging around. Someone like Keane could come in and get a short term lift out of the players. He or someone like him should have been put in there in November to try and get back into this season’s title race.

Yeah the choice of manager will show the direction the club is moving. I hope they'll see this as an opportunity to put in place a coaching structure to develop players coming through the youth system or young talent we pick up but worry the board may see Keane as ticking a few boxes Irish, Celtic man etc

We have a very young squad with only Brown & Griffiths as it stands likely to be here next season and over 30. I really think we need a manager/coach that can build their confidence and help them develop them to their potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I'm not sure about Keane. There is a chance he could fire the players up and get something out of them for a while but I just think he's too hot headed to fit with modern day management and that it wouldn't end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Dunno if ye have seen it, watched it today, very good doc. Also some nice footage of Donegal hey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Looking at what Gerrard has done with Rangers, I would not fancy Keane's chances of getting the better of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

Once Lawwell's son isn't one of guys moving from City I'll be happy

Looking at what Gerrard has done with Rangers, I would not fancy Keane's chances of getting the better of him.

They've had an excellent season unfortunately but for me the jury is still out on Gerrard, he's had a season with no pressure on him running away with the league due to our poor performances.

This time last year he looked almost certain to be sacked so it'll be interesting to see how he does next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

They've had an excellent season unfortunately but for me the jury is still out on Gerrard, he's had a season with no pressure on him running away with the league due to our poor performances.

This time last year he looked almost certain to be sacked so it'll be interesting to see how he does next year.

I think their performances in Europe havent been given the credit it deserves, he has clearly improved them massively.

On the Keane rumours I can't even come close to expressing my opposition to the idea without falling foul of the moderators so I'll simply say - NO THANKS!

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I think their performances in Europe havent been given the credit it deserves, he has clearly improved them massively.

On the Keane rumours I can't even come close to expressing my opposition to the idea without falling foul of the moderators so I'll simply say - NO THANKS!

No doubt he has improved them and I think they'll have a very good shot at making the group stage of the CL through the champions route, can't see them getting thumped by smaller teams like we have.

Just think in the league it would've be interesting to see how they would've coped if we had been able to put a bit of pressure on them but TBF it's no easy task to go this far unbeaten especially in such a crucial season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Football fans are funny. Completely write off Rangers success because They hAd No cOmPeTiOn yet insist Celtics 9 in a row, quadruple treble invincible season is legit even with no real competition for 9 years.

Not aimed at anyone on here just Internet in general.

If they win this league without losing a game it'd be a bigger achievement than our invincible season given where they have come from. Conceded half the goals we did too. Plus they are having some success in Europe. It will take a hell of effort to stop them next year too. I've zero confidence in celtic for the next season or two regardless of what manager comes in

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Wrong thread for this I know, but it's an interesting read related to what you are talking about and is a lot of what's missing at Celtic:
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56298826

I think we lost a really big part of our playing style when Damien Duff left.

US2 wrote: »
    Football fans are funny. Completely write off Rangers success because They hAd No cOmPeTiOn yet insist Celtics 9 in a row, quadruple treble invincible season is legit even with no real competition for 9 years.

Not aimed at anyone on here just Internet in general.

If they win this league without losing a game it'd be a bigger achievement than our invincible season given where they have come from. Conceded half the goals we did too. Plus they are having some success in Europe. It will take a hell of effort to stop them next year too. I've zero confidence in celtic for the next season or two regardless of what manager comes in

Next year is absolutely critical for both sides with the winners of the league all but confirmed to have an automatic place in the CL group stages, if we lose the league next season the prize & tv money they receive will wipe out any financial advantage we may have had.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Wrong thread for this I know, but it's an interesting read related to what you are talking about and is a lot of what's missing at Celtic:
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56298826

I think we lost a really big part of our playing style when Damien Duff left.

Would love to see Damian Duff back as part of the new coaching set up for next season. It was a big blow I think when he left for the Ireland job last summer.

• Advertisement

RB Salzburg manager looks to be interested in the job, seems to have a very good record. Some suggestions he might be using us to force an offer from a German side but this is the kind of level we should be looking

https://twitter.com/BBCSportScot/status/1372084804473131012?s=19

RB Salzburg manager looks to be interested in the job, seems to have a very good record. Some suggestions he might be using us to force an offer from a German side but this is the kind of level we should be looking

https://twitter.com/BBCSportScot/status/1372084804473131012?s=19

Whether that rumour is true in terms of Marsch or his agent using us he is not in contention for the new coaching job.

eire4 wrote: »
    Whether that rumour is true in terms of Marsch or his agent using us he is not in contention for the new coaching job.

He probably isn't but he's the type we should be looking at, a coach that has worked with a club with a smaller budget than us and consistently won a league that would be similar strength to ours and consistently performed in Europe.

Who do you believe is in contention?

eire4 wrote: »

Can you expand on this please? How or why are you so sure he’s not in contention?

Can you expand on this please? How or why are you so sure he’s not in contention?

To this point 4 people have been interviewed for the job and one has expressed an interest via his agent but is not in contention as far as I know. Jesse Marsch is not one of those 4 interviewed therefore as far as I know he is not in contention either.

He probably isn't but he's the type we should be looking at, a coach that has worked with a club with a smaller budget than us and consistently won a league that would be similar strength to ours and consistently performed in Europe.

Who do you believe is in contention?

I agree he is a very interesting and innovative manager. I remember him well from my time with him when his was doing his A license originally and he is a very personable person as well.

In terms of your other question I am under the understanding the job is there for one person already if he wants it but there are backup options. Whether anybody else like a Marsch could come into play now or in the coming days that I do not know. But as of today Marsch is not in contention and the job is there for one person if he wants it. I would rather not name names as Celtic lets just say are not happy about the leaks that got out about Lennon's resignation.

• Advertisement

LOL are ye watching the carry on in the Slavia Prague game?

LOL are ye watching the carry on in the Slavia Prague game?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116622669&postcount=189
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Good.

Really did anyone want one. They are a load of nonsense

Really did anyone want one. They are a load of nonsense

I agree :eek:

I agree :eek:

It’s really ok to agree on certain things all my tic supporting mates say so to 😀

Anyone having issues logging into the Huddleboard, seems to be down?

Just tried it there and it is working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Fine for me too

Just tried it there and it is working
    Fine for me too

Yes, it's fine now

C'mon Celtic give us something to be happy about from this season

Absolute class from Brown